Windows 10: Only one computer in my home network can load www.startribune.com

Discus and support Only one computer in my home network can load www.startribune.com in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a home network, RT-N56U router running both 2.4 and 5 gig and it's switch in use feeding various stuff in the house, a wireless accesspoint,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by uniquewon, Nov 8, 2017.

1. uniquewon Win User

Only one computer in my home network can load www.startribune.com

I have a home network, RT-N56U router running both 2.4 and 5 gig and it's switch in use feeding various stuff in the house, a wireless accesspoint, some switches etc. I have Iphone, Ipad, Windows 10 laptop and a Dell 8700 for me and my wife has a Dell 8700 for her use.

None of my wireless equipment can load the startribune website and my Dell 8700 also cannot load the site. My wifes Dell 8700 is the only computer that can load the site, all others get:

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at StarTribune.com: News, weather, sports from Minneapolis, St. Paul and Minnesota might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

This just started sometime this afternoon, the 8th of Nov.

This seems to be a router issue but for the life of me I cannot see anywhere where my N56U router is blocking anything, maybe it's hidden somewhere that I cannot find. I use DHCP on everything except my printers, they seem to work fine. I'm pretty frustrated trying to solve this, the startribune site is NOT down.

I've powered pretty much everything down, modem, router, switch etc, nothing helps by rebooting the entire network it seems, I'm sure I've been on the startribune website this day prior to this as I went there to check election results.

Any ideas of how to proceed?

TIA,

Gene

:)

uniquewon, Nov 8, 2017

2. Transfering files between Kindle Fire & Windows 10.

Both the computer with Windows 10 and the Kindle Fire are hooked to my home wireless network. I loaded ES File Explorer to my Kindle and I can see it on the network only through the router software. However, computers hooked to the home wireless network
    cannot see the Kindle. I am at a loss, and with a degree in computer science, I would think this connection would be similar to the other computers. Alas, so much for the four years I spent programming; anyway tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ethel M.R., Nov 8, 2017
  3. Motox22a Win User
    Upgraded to Build 10586 on Eight Home Networked Computers. Two of the computers are no longer visible on the network

Just one more note on the networking problems in build 10586...

On my one Windows 10 Pro computer in the GARAGE that is on a WiFi connection

to the router in the house....The ONLY PC on my network that can reliably see

the Computer in the GARAGE is my one remaining WINDOWS 7 HOME PC.

It can see the GARAGE Windows 10 PRO computer no problem with 100 percent

reliability. ALL the other computers which are WINDOWS 10 (HOME and PRO) cannot see the

GARAGE computer. And YES they are ALL on the same subnet 192.168.1.xxx

Windows 10 networking DEFINITELY has a problem and yes the

case structure for the name was all changed to upper case and they still can't access it.

Motox22a, Nov 8, 2017
  4. uniquewon Win User

Update.

I just checked my wifes Dell8700 and noticed that I hard assigned a IP and stuff on that computer. I just did the same for my Dell 8700, diff IP but all else the same and now my Dell can access the Startribune site. My wireless equipment still cannot, so something is amiss with the router I suspect but I don' t know how to solve the wireless devices not having that site access.

Help!!!

uniquewon, Nov 8, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    It sounds like your router's DHCP isn't working properly. It doesn't seem to be giving out IP addresses (or maybe only IPv6 addresses). You made your two Dells work by giving then static IP addresses. Either DHCP isn't configured properly on the router, or it may be broken. You could try powering it down (again) to see if that helps. Look carefully at the router's DHCP settings, also look to see what devices and address leases it has on record.

Bree, Nov 8, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Set dns to 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222

Samuria, Nov 8, 2017
  7. uniquewon Win User
    I've tried everything I can think of, but my wireless devices can't get to the startribune site. I've hard assigned my Dell8700 IP address etc., similar to how I did my wifes 8700 sometime back, for some reason her computer was having trouble getting a DHCP IP address.

I've updated the firmware on my ASUS wireless router, I've checked other devices, like the TIVOs we have, they work fine, the ROKU works fine. I"ve never seen such an issue before myself, only one site that won't work,

The error message says: www.startribune.com's server DNS address could not be found.

Frustrating!!!

uniquewon, Nov 8, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Try changing dns on pc to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. which will bypass router dns. It sounds like an isp dns issue.

cereberus, Nov 8, 2017
  9. uniquewon Win User
    I went into the RT-N56U and in the DHCP section, I set the two DNS locations to the above IP addresses. There was one DNS slot and the second was a WINS slot, I put the second ip address there. Don't know if that's right or not but in any case, the wireless devices now can reach the Startribune.com website.

Thanks much for the help but I still don't know what 's going on, my provider, Comcast may be to blame, they should provide the DNS I suspect.

Gene

PS: I also put my PC back to DHCP but left my wife's hard coded as it's been for a long time

uniquewon, Nov 8, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
  11. uniquewon Win User
    Well, all is up and running again, adding the DNS stuff to the DHCP section in the router solved the issue.

Thanks again for everyone's help, these forums are a fantastic resource.

Regards,
    Gene

uniquewon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Only one computer in my home network can load www.startribune.com - Similar Threads - computer home network

2. Can only get networked computers to talk in one direction...sort of

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can only get networked computers to talk in one direction...sort of: Ok this will likely be a long post....so sorry ahead of time.Ok I am helping a friend set up two computers on his home network to communicate with each other and primarily to be able to share specific files and folders between them.Now this set up is for a streaming radio...
  3. Can only get networked computers to talk in one direction...sort of

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can only get networked computers to talk in one direction...sort of: Ok this will likely be a long post....so sorry ahead of time.Ok I am helping a friend set up two computers on his home network to communicate with each other and primarily to be able to share specific files and folders between them.Now this set up is for a streaming radio...
  4. DNS not found only on one computer on one network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS not found only on one computer on one network: My Thinkpad running windows 11 system details at bottom has a weird interaction with my netgear router. The router has two channels, one 2Ghz and one 5Ghz. All other devices, including another windows 11 device, have no problems connecting to either channel. Only my Thinkpad...
  5. DNS not found only on one computer on one network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS not found only on one computer on one network: My Thinkpad running windows 11 system details at bottom has a weird interaction with my netgear router. The router has two channels, one 2Ghz and one 5Ghz. All other devices, including another windows 11 device, have no problems connecting to either channel. Only my Thinkpad...
  6. Networked computers only one way

Networked computers only one way: After every Windows10 update, my ethernet stopped functioning. After this last update and a completely clean new install I have just spent hours and hours with different tech support people. The last one admitted that he could not overcome that issue. But he said, since we...
  7. Computers connect on home network only sporadically

Computers connect on home network only sporadically: have struggled for a couple of months to set up an ethernet-based home network involving just two computers: a desktop (DT) and a laptop (LT). After receiving several suggestions and making various changes, the best I can say is it works sometimes. Sometimes the desktop will...
  8. My computer only loads a temporary account not my normal one

in Windows 10 Customization
    My computer only loads a temporary account not my normal one: Everytime I log in it Goes to a temporary account and I dont know how to fix it plz help i have restarted 4x I have started in safe mode everything and it just wont work...
  9. home network works one-way only

home network works one-way only: From my wifi laptop I can see my ethernet desktop's username in file explorer's network, and can access files. Using my desktop, I can see my laptop but the only Users listed are ADMINI~1; Default; and Default.migrated. I don see the username of my laptop from my desktop pc...
  10. Network protocols missing, can not connect to only ONE COMPUTER

Network protocols missing, can not connect to only ONE COMPUTER: First of all, I want to say that I've tried every solution there is for this problem, from reinstalling drivers, wifi card, all cmd commands and even importing working registry values, from another computer... In short, nothing worked. Laptop "P"=windows 10, hp laptop,...