Windows 10: ONLY showing using 1 core out of 4 core processor

Discus and support ONLY showing using 1 core out of 4 core processor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't know a lot about computer hardware or software problems. I run a Dell Inspiron 20 All In One PC. Model 3045. It is a 4 core computer. In the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by barbslife, Feb 6, 2017.

1. barbslife Win User

ONLY showing using 1 core out of 4 core processor

I don't know a lot about computer hardware or software problems. I run a Dell Inspiron 20 All In One PC. Model 3045. It is a 4 core computer. In the bios and Device Mgr. only shows operating on one core. There is only one item entry. AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon TM) HD Graphics.

A couple weeks ago PC acting weird - first, very slow. Odd messages: such as (not exact error message) Shutting down because of problem will restart. Adapter/Charger check. Bought new dell adapter and no difference

Had my local computer guy check and he is the who told me about only operating on one out of four cores per the bios and device mgr. Called Dell and they ran a diagnostic and advised hardware no problem. Wouldn't address issue of why then does it show only one core operating. Next I called MS and they ran diagnostic and confirmed software ok. They cleaned it up and ran somewhat faster, but not like a new machine.

Any direction you can offer would be appreciated. Dell is 2 1/2 years old.

:)

barbslife, Feb 6, 2017

2. windows 10 home x64 won´t recognize my second xeon

Hello.

In computer management/device manager appears the 16 cores of my pc (2X xeon quad core), four cores in each processor plus 4 virtual cores in each processor (I think this is the logical processors), in a total of 16 cores.

If I go to my bios when turning on pc also 2 processors are recognized.

In task manager only one processor (it appears 1 socket, instead of two, 4 cores). If in a process of task manager I go to set affinity it appears from core 0 to core 7. In windows 7 this was from core 0 to core 15 and it appeared the mention to cpu 0 and
    cpu 1.

When I use a 3d application like 3d studio max with vray, only one processor works and appear, and this makes my work last 2x longer than usual.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my English.

Vitor RF Rodrigues, Feb 6, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro High CPU usage at startup

Using Virtualization i3, i5 and i7 processors can have 1, 2, 4 physical processor cores and 1, 2, 4 corresponding virtual processors.

i3 typically has 1 processor core and 2 virtual core

i5 typically has 2 processor core and 2 virtual core

i7 typically has 4 processor core and 4 virtual core

Though over time this has increased, last year the i7 had 6 physical cores and 6 virtual cores

Currently the best i7 money can buy has 10 physical cores and 10 virtual cores - impressive but is also impressively expensive.

Below is a screenshot of my processor in Task Manager (2nd Gen i7 Quad Core with 4 virtual processors), if you have one of these processors and you right click the graph on your Task Manager, select Logical Processors to view the individual logical
    Processors

ONLY showing using 1 core out of 4 core processor [​IMG]

Click HERE for the Intel page on Virtualization

I hope this helps to understand the CORE generation of processors!

DaveM121, Feb 6, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi barbslife and welcome to Ten forums.

This CPUs aren't really fast, but should be OK for browsing and so..
    I've searched a bit, and found one similar problem, but no solution to it.

Click on Start and type "msconfig" then click on program as it appears. Click on boot tab, then advanced and check if there are processors limited...

AndreTen, Feb 6, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    Open up task manager, select performance tab, select cpu.......then look at the bottom right of window. There you will find the info on your cpu......sockets, cores, logical processors and your cache. This is mine....a single processor with 4 cores that has hyper-threading which gives me 8 logical processors.

Plankton, Feb 6, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    @barbslife
    In Control Panel/Power Options, if you have settings at 'Balanced' or 'Power Saver', many cores will remain 'Parked' until needed, especially in Power Saver mode on Battery.
    Experiment with the power options and monitor the cores in Resource Monitor/CPU Tab.
    (In High Performance Mode, no cores 'park' themselves)

Edwin, Feb 7, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    On the Task Manager view as in post #3
    Right click on Graph and select > Change graph to > Logical processors.

One core won't be your problem. More likely are Malware, lack of application/software maintenance, poor basic specs.

Helmut, Feb 7, 2017
  8. AndreTen Win User

Looks like you all missed in the first post from OP:

It means that only one core is recognized. Could be overheating and hardware failure or possibly option in BIOS.

AndreTen, Feb 7, 2017
  9. jpeni Win User
    I have a quad-core CPU with Windows 10 that only displayed 2 cores and 4 processors with Task Manager.
    This remained the same no matter how many processors I entered in the BOOT Advanced Options of MSConfig.

I did some research on the internet about showing less cores than your CPU actually contains and discovered ParkControl.

I fixed the problem by installed ParkControl. ParkControl allows you to configure how many CPU cores are actually put in the parking mode by Windows. Now Task Manager displays 4 cores and 8 processors with MSConfig BOOT Advanced Options "number of processors" turned OFF.

ParkControl Free Tweak CPU Core Parking and Frequency Scaling in Real-Time

jpeni, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. ONLY showing using 1 core out of 4 core processor - Similar Threads - showing using core

2. My Omen pc has an Intel i5 9500 6 core 12 logical processor but it's only showing 1 core 1...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Omen pc has an Intel i5 9500 6 core 12 logical processor but it's only showing 1 core 1...: Hi, my OMEN pc has an intel i5 9500 6 core cpu which was working with all 6 cores and 12 logical processors available, however it now shows that there is only 1 core and 1 logical processor and the system is now extremely laggy and freezes especially under heavy loads such as...
  3. My Omen pc has an Intel i5 9500 6 core 12 logical processor but it's only showing 1 core 1...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Omen pc has an Intel i5 9500 6 core 12 logical processor but it's only showing 1 core 1...: Hi, my OMEN pc has an intel i5 9500 6 core cpu which was working with all 6 cores and 12 logical processors available, however it now shows that there is only 1 core and 1 logical processor and the system is now extremely laggy and freezes especially under heavy loads such as...
  4. I have 4 cpu cores but it seems to show 1 core,I also can't enable the cores in boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have 4 cpu cores but it seems to show 1 core,I also can't enable the cores in boot.: I can't activate my processors although it shows me I have 4 cpu cores in my device manager,but only shows 1 in task manager,i tried enabling it at boot but it only shows that i only have 1 cpu core[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  5. My Processor is 4 Cores but I can't use 4 Cores, I am only able to use 1 Core

My Processor is 4 Cores but I can't use 4 Cores, I am only able to use 1 Core: Here you can see in the task manager, it shows cores: 1, but in device manager there are 4 cores. I went to System Configuration and turned on all 4 cores and played Minecraft smoothly, but recently Minecraft started lagging. So I went to the task manager and saw this and...
  6. Processors/Cores

Processors/Cores: Hey, On my windows 10 Pc, i went on task manager and saw that i have 2 cores but 4 logical processors. Is there room to enable all 4 cores, are 2 cores deactivated?? How do I utilize all cores to 100% performance?...
  7. Multi Core processor not using all cores

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Multi Core processor not using all cores: I have an Intel i7 8700 12 core processor and many of the cores don't appear to being used. there are times when the computer is slow to respond to changes (starting applications, change web pages etc.) Is there a way to utilise all the cores to speed thing up, or is the...
  8. Windows 10 only shows 1 core on 4 core CPU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 only shows 1 core on 4 core CPU: I've had my old Windows 7 AutoCAD machine lying around for a really long time in storage, and I just thought I'd drag it out and clean it up. I erased the hard drives which still had Windows 7 and some of my old school stuff on them and installed Windows 10, only to be...
  9. My computer is only using 1 core, cpu comes with 4.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer is only using 1 core, cpu comes with 4.: I am using the hp elitebook with the intel 8265u processor. The one I have comes with 16gb of ram and 4 cores, but when I’m in task manager, it says I am only using one. I have tried going into msconfig, but when I try to change the boot option, it only shows one core. How...
  10. Running on 1 core out of 4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running on 1 core out of 4: Did anybody check Advanced Boot options in Msconfig. Seemed to me that my computer is booting too slow, checked those options and lo and behold it's been set to one core only. !!!! After fixing that it boots and run much faster. 2138

Users found this page by searching for:

1. quad core operating on one processor mscongif

2. only showing 1 core

3. 4 core cpu only showing as 1 core

4. 4 core only showing 1 core,
  5. ONLY showing using 1 core out of 4 core processor