Windows 10: only static sound in audio output

Discus and support only static sound in audio output in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; goodday, I own a homebuilt PC with a Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 Motherboard. I've bought this one from a friend of mine and did a clean install of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mardiiiii, May 22, 2017.

1. mardiiiii Win User

only static sound in audio output

goodday,

I own a homebuilt PC with a Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 Motherboard.
    I've bought this one from a friend of mine and did a clean install of windows 10 64 bit before I bought it. after installing the pc everything works perfectly except the audio.

when I plug in speakers/headphones or earphones in the audio-output (motherboard + case output) all I hear is static and popping sounds (even when there's no sound playing) . when I disable the driver the static and popping sounds stop.

I've tried reinstalling the driver software (realtek HD audio) and disabling every other driver to see if any software is intervening with the driver. I've also tried different setting as setting it to AC '97 or HD audio and I've tried heaps of more things but didn't find any solution.

is there please someone who can help me? I'm out of ideas and can't find a solution on the internet.

thanks in advance,

Martijn

PS. At the moment I'm at work so I'm not able to provide all the specs of the PC But I'll try to provide as much information as I can if you need it.

:)

mardiiiii, May 22, 2017
  2. BossDweeb Win User

headphones audio jack only playing from left side

Do external speakers work from the back panel output (desktop), or the internal speakers work (laptop) ?

What do you see in Device Manager > Sound ? Is the device shown as 'working properly' in the Properties Window ?

If it's only a problem with the headphones, wiggle the plug side to side a bit. If you get sound out of the left channel

(or now the right channel ? ) doing this, it's probably the 'feeler' in the output socket on your machine is not connecting fully.

If you have the same problem with speakers, and because you are hearing static/white noise, it may be the

left (or both ? ) channel on the audio circuit is failing.

If you are using a desktop machine you can buy an PCIe audio card to replace the on-board audio should

the on-board audio be failing.

BossDweeb, May 22, 2017
  3. sambul72 Win User
    HDMI Audio: Are Multiple Devices Possible?

Your GPU card or motherboard chip likely has only one HDMI Audio circuit or none, in which case audio processing is done by a separate chipset. One circuit can output only one audio signal, that's why you hear the same sound on both displays. Did you try
    to connect one display via analog stereo audio, and the other via HDMI audio? Were you able to enable 2 different audio outputs in Windows Sounds, and then select the right audio inputs in your media players running media content on the laptop screen and external
    display?

sambul72, May 22, 2017
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Most PCs have an audio jack on the case as well as the one on the motherboard in the back.
    Which one are you plugged into? Have you tried both?

5. mardiiiii Win User
    Yes I've tried both.

mardiiiii, May 22, 2017
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    That "sounds" like a bad motherboard (or, the audio chip on the motherboard). It would be rare to have two bad audio jacks.

Couple things to check/try:
    • Go into the UEFI/BIOS and toggle the audio device off, save and exit into Windows, back into BIOS, turn it back on, save and exit into Windows and test
    • Download a version of Linux (Ubuntu is good) onto a USB stick and run Ubuntu from there (Don't install it, just run it from the USB). See if the audio works in Linux. If it does then you know it is a Windows or driver problem. If it doesn't you know it is bad hardware.

7. mardiiiii Win User
    thanks heaps! I'll look after it when I'm done working.

i'll give an update if it worked or not

mardiiiii, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. only static sound in audio output - Similar Threads - static sound audio

2. Background Audio Sounds Like Static

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background Audio Sounds Like Static: When I have more than 1 audio output at the same time, it will distort one of them making it sound grainy. Is there a setting I need to change? Surface Laptop 4...
  3. Background Audio Sounds Like Static

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Background Audio Sounds Like Static: When I have more than 1 audio output at the same time, it will distort one of them making it sound grainy. Is there a setting I need to change? Surface Laptop 4...
  4. Background Audio Sounds Like Static

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. no audio output or sound card showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no audio output or sound card showing: The computer after sleep mode when activated will result in occasional disappearance of the sound card. Will always need to restart the computer to get back the sound card....
  6. Static sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Static sound: Hello so i have a problem with my pc i have realtek drivers the newest one but i changed my driver to headphone high defenition it sounds really good at first when i changed but next when i turned on my pc and started watching a youtube video i could hear a static noise in my...
  7. Sound Blaster audio output

Sound Blaster audio output: I have a Dell Computer with Windows 10. Started out with Windows 7 and with automatic updates over the years to Windows 10. Problem: My sound system is Creative Sound Blaster “Recon3D PCIe.” After the last Windows update the sound has been unreliable, such as no sound...
  8. Static audio / video outputs through hdmi to AV receiver.

Static audio / video outputs through hdmi to AV receiver.: I have an ongoing issue with audio / video outputs from a pc I have in my living room. Its an i5 with 16GB ram running win10 pro. The machine has 2 1660 graphics cards in it (used for folding when not in use for other things) and its generally used for playing video and...
  9. Headphones only outputting audio in mono

Headphones only outputting audio in mono: Hello, I'd like to play Stereo audio when my headphones are plugged in to my 3.5mm audio port, but they are only outputting in Mono. Stereo works when using them through Bluetooth, but I often use them wired and would like them to play Stereo properly that way as well....
  10. Static sound

Static sound: Hi, I have a problem with my sound. I have static sound in my headphones. I tried using different headphone or speaker devices but it occurs with using any headphones or speakers. I tried updating windows and using the troubleshoot method and nothing works. Recently I used...