Windows 10: Only User of Computer

Discus and support Only User of Computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; New desktop with Windows 10. Should I make Network and/or Home Group, set up sharing etc. even though I am literally the only one who uses this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CleverDjeida, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Only User of Computer

New desktop with Windows 10.

Should I make Network and/or Home Group, set up sharing etc. even though I am literally the only one who uses this PC?.

This also is only computer in household.

Thanx

:)

CleverDjeida, Jul 6, 2016
  2. GordonB-P Win User

Only user administrator full access home computer windows 10 cannot change file permissions.

What folders are these, and what makes you think they are read only?

GordonB-P, Jul 6, 2016
  3. Only user administrator full access home computer windows 10 cannot change file permissions.

Had this problem before with windows 10...completely redid windows. Now have the problem again...cannot change permissions for access. Folders set to read only. Unable to change. Unable to change permissions. Windows holding me captive

TinaCmehil, Jul 6, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Only User of Computer

Network consists of your Computer, the Network adapter in it and a Router, Modem or Router/Modem combination. If you now have Internet service [confirmed by the ability to post here] you shouldn't need to worry about anything else until adding more computers.

Berton, Jul 6, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    You missed the question. The OP is asking should they use Home Group or Network shares for sharing folders and items.

bro67, Jul 6, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    If it is the only computer and you do not share media to say a streaming device, you can stick with standard Network shares. Home Group was Microsoft's way of trying to dumbify the sharing process, thinking that they could change the way that users share folders and files, but it has failed miserably.

bro67, Jul 6, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Don't think so. Of all the computers I've set up in homes [over 20 years] there has never been any need to do other than accept the defaults once User name/data has been entered. If there is only one computer and one user of it what needs to be shared?

Berton, Jul 6, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Only User of Computer

Read their post. They are asking what if any option to use with one computer in the house. In other words it would be not needing to activate Home Groups. Also there is no need to set their computer to share folders, because there is no other computer in the house.

Regardless of how many computers are on a network. If someone asksme to set their computer up for them. I disable any type of Network sharing, just in case someone is over and wants to use their network, but they do notwant a guest to access the computer or even see it on the network.

bro67, Jul 6, 2016
  9. Getting closer to truly understand what all the responses are trying to to explain to me.
    I would add that if I occasionally use a Roku stick on a TV.
    Would this change answers about Networks, Home groups, sharing etc.

Hope all respondents see this. You guys have been great!

CleverDjeida, Jul 6, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    If you have a Roku, you would need third party apps to stream music or videos from your computer. That would be done through Media Sharing with VLC or with connecting to a folder that is in the Public Share.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Only User of Computer

1. Only User of Computer - Similar Threads - User Computer

2. Deleting "other users" from stating on my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting "other users" from stating on my computer.: I am using windows 11. When I start up my computer "other user" comes on my screen. I don't know how this got on computer. I went to setting under "family and friends" and there is no user listed but myself. I have been trying for delete this "other user" who I do not know...
  3. Deleting "other users" from stating on my computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting "other users" from stating on my computer.: I am using windows 11. When I start up my computer "other user" comes on my screen. I don't know how this got on computer. I went to setting under "family and friends" and there is no user listed but myself. I have been trying for delete this "other user" who I do not know...
  4. how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer: I had to set up a new computer I'm trying to set this one up the same way but Micro soft wont let me I used to have 2 separate accounts for myself and my sons business it wont let me do this now please help...
  5. how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer: I had to set up a new computer I'm trying to set this one up the same way but Micro soft wont let me I used to have 2 separate accounts for myself and my sons business it wont let me do this now please help...
  6. how do I set up a separate account for another user on my computer

7. Why does on windows 10 computer task manager show 43 users under users tab with cpu, memory...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does on windows 10 computer task manager show 43 users under users tab with cpu, memory...: Why does windows 10 task manager show 43 users under users tab with memory and disk showing percentages almost at 100 percent? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-on-windows-10-computer-task-manager-show/92bf1182-4a48-4f04-b0a5-80bc2162d277
  8. Why does on windows 10 computer task manager show 43 users under users tab with cpu, memory...

Why does on windows 10 computer task manager show 43 users under users tab with cpu, memory...: Why does windows 10 task manager show 43 users under users tab with memory and disk showing percentages almost at 100 percent? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-on-windows-10-computer-task-manager-show/92bf1182-4a48-4f04-b0a5-80bc2162d277
  9. Why does on windows 10 computer task manager show 43 users under users tab with cpu, memory...

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....

Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....: Hello, I just installed microsoft on my pc. Somehow, family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer. It says 'This device is locked because of your family settings for screen time'. I just want to access my computer for work related...