Windows 10: Only Windows can hear my microphone

Discus and support Only Windows can hear my microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I started having an issue about two weeks ago where Windows registers and displays microphones correctly, but then seems to "eat" the input from them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Iamnobody, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Iamnobody Win User

Only Windows can hear my microphone

I started having an issue about two weeks ago where Windows registers and displays microphones correctly, but then seems to "eat" the input from them so that no other programs pick anything up. If I plug a microphone in and go to sound settings, I can see the input meter rise and fall as I'd expect, but only in sound settings and the Nahmic 2 software my motherboard installed. Skype, Discord, Steam, and every other program I've tried can only pick up a bit of noise when I turn the microphone on or off. I've tried using another microphone, using both the case microphone input and the rear panel input, and reinstalling the Realtek audio driver with no luck.

Motherboard: MSI B350
    Realtek driver: 6.0.1.8158

:)

Iamnobody, Jul 29, 2018

2. Friends can't hear me with microphone on windows 10

Hi Mr Jagger,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Did you check listening with other headphones?

The issue cab be resolved by making Microphone as the default device and updating the sound card drivers.

Make sure that the microphone that you are using is not disabled and is set as default in the computer. Follow these steps to check this:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, right click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Select “Microphone” and click on “Properties” and make sure that the microphone is enabled.

• You may also check if the microphone that you are using is set as default.
    Also suggest you to run “Playing audio” troubleshooter to diagnose and fix the issue.

• Type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.

• Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

• Select “Playing Audio” under Sound option.

• Follow the On Screen instructions.
    Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Jul 29, 2018
  3. Isha Soni Win User
    Windows 10 recognized my microphone and works, but Cortana doesn't hear me

Hi,

This could be due to drivers not being update.

Please try these methods.

Method 1 : Run audio troubleshooter.

You might be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with audio.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key on your keyboard
    • Type Troubleshooting and click
      Troubleshooting..
    • Click on view all (on the left)
    • Select Playing Audio troubleshooter
    • Follow the prompted steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Method 2: Check for the microphone settings.

Step 1:
    I would suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"
    • Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
    • Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".
    • Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".
    • Click Apply and OK.
    Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.
    • Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.
    • Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 3: Update sound/audio adapter driver.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Step 2: Uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers

I would also suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the latest audio drivers from the Manufacturer website.

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager:

• Press Windows key + R on the keyboard
    • In run window type devmgmt.msc
    • Locate audio devices and expand the same
    • Right-click on the audio driver
      and then uninstall the drivers.
    • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
    Now, please go to the manufacturer website and install
    the latest audio drivers.

Restart the computer and check.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Jul 29, 2018
  4. Allan Mej Win User

Having to unplug microphone to hear playback.

Hi Mark,

There are several audio inputs on your PC depending on your motherboard. It is possible that you are plugging your
    microphone in the jack which supports audio in and audio out (same as phone jacks) and is set as your playback device. When this happens, you will not hear the audio out because the audio signal is sent into the microphone. Simply unplug your
    microphone and move it to the microphone jack and you will be able to hear the playback sound.

Only Windows can hear my microphone 44720e62-c33b-4f4d-b705-c801612e7c5e.png

If you are sure that your microphone is connected to the microphone jack, it is possible that your playback device is being disabled by your microphone. To enable/change your playback device, kindly follow these steps:

• Right-click the Volume icon on the lower-left corner of your screen.
    • Click Playback devices, right-click your speaker (or any preferred playback device), and click Enable.

Note: If you cannot see your preferred playback device, right-click on your current playback device and click
      Show Disabled Devices.

Let us know how things go.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Jul 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Only Windows can hear my microphone - Similar Threads - hear microphone

2. Why is my microphone on at bootup and streaming what it hears with no apps open?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my microphone on at bootup and streaming what it hears with no apps open?: On bootup with my headphone on I can immediately hear my echo or any sounds, there's no way to turn it off without fully disabling the microphone. Have tried messing with mic input device but no help. Any recommendation?No apps open can hear the built in mic in...
  3. Why is my microphone on at bootup and streaming what it hears with no apps open?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my microphone on at bootup and streaming what it hears with no apps open?: On bootup with my headphone on I can immediately hear my echo or any sounds, there's no way to turn it off without fully disabling the microphone. Have tried messing with mic input device but no help. Any recommendation?No apps open can hear the built in mic in...
  4. People can still hear me after i mute and unplug my microphone.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    People can still hear me after i mute and unplug my microphone.: I tried to reset my pc and tried to disable the stereo mix and my friends can still hear me when im muted. i have no idea for any other solution. Im using this GameStop mic i think its called Realtek. this is a new problem that has never accrued to me or my friends. it is a...
  5. People can still hear me after i mute and unplug my microphone.

People can still hear me after i mute and unplug my microphone.: I tried to reset my pc and tried to disable the stereo mix and my friends can still hear me when im muted. i have no idea for any other solution. Im using this GameStop mic i think its called Realtek. this is a new problem that has never accrued to me or my friends. it is a...
  6. microphone hearing what im hearing 6 ft apart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microphone hearing what im hearing 6 ft apart: okay so i went to use a headset and i realised that people can hear what im hearing so i bring out a new microphone plug it in and use it but still use my headphones so the other microphnoe is 6 ft apart from me and THEY CAN STILL HEAR WHAT IM HEARING how do i fix...
  7. microphone hearing what im hearing 6 ft apart

microphone hearing what im hearing 6 ft apart: okay so i went to use a headset and i realised that people can hear what im hearing so i bring out a new microphone plug it in and use it but still use my headphones so the other microphnoe is 6 ft apart from me and THEY CAN STILL HEAR WHAT IM HEARING how do i fix...
  8. Microphone Input Detected by System and Apps, Others Cannot Hear on Calls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone Input Detected by System and Apps, Others Cannot Hear on Calls: I'm working with a user who said for the last couple days nobody is able to hear them on calls through their computer, but they can when she calls them on her mobile phone. All calls computer/mobile are using the same exact headset, a Jabra Evolve 75.Calls on the computer are...
  9. Microphone Input Detected by System and Apps, Others Cannot Hear on Calls

Microphone Input Detected by System and Apps, Others Cannot Hear on Calls: I'm working with a user who said for the last couple days nobody is able to hear them on calls through their computer, but they can when she calls them on her mobile phone. All calls computer/mobile are using the same exact headset, a Jabra Evolve 75.Calls on the computer are...
  10. Microphone Input Detected by System and Apps, Others Cannot Hear on Calls

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware