Windows 10: open a graphic file attached to an email received by Thunderbird 52.4

Discus and support open a graphic file attached to an email received by Thunderbird 52.4 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, on a newly setup Windows 10 pro x64 v1709 I've set XnView as standard app for all graphic files supported by that program. That works absolutely... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Alt68er, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Alt68er Win User

open a graphic file attached to an email received by Thunderbird 52.4

Hi,
    on a newly setup Windows 10 pro x64 v1709 I've set XnView as standard app for all graphic files supported by that program. That works absolutely fine when doupleclicking such a file in Windows explorer.
    But: when I receive an email with attached graphic file(s) and I click on it to view it in XnView then first opens Thunderbird's dialog box asking me if I want to open or to save the file. Selecting open and clicking ok should open the file in XnView. But unfortunately ALWAYS opens Windows' dialog where I have to select or to confirm the program to open the file. Although when I select "always use this program" the next time I have the same "trouble".
    On my second PC with a very very similar installation of Windows all this works fine.-

For me it looks like Windows does not store correctly that it has to open graphic files ALWAYS (i.e. if doubleclicked in the explorer or selected in Thunderbird to be opened) with XnView. But where I can find the wrong setting and how can I fix it?

Does someone know where in the registry Windows 10 stores that e.g. .jpg or .tif or .bmp have to be opened by XnView WITHOUT SHOWING ME THE SELECTION DIALOG ??

1000 thanks in advance for your kind help and please excuse my poor English.

Kind regards,
    Peter

:)

Alt68er, Oct 15, 2017
  2. JohnMount Win User

Within the last hour Win 10 has become useless for email.

This morning I could send and receive emails with attachments with zero problems.

Outlook then started giving me an error while attaching files "You don't have permission to perform this operation" while adding attachments.

1) I'm the administrator on this machine.

2) I have full read write permissions on all files involved.

Then Outlook stopped sending selected emails. Some emails would go others would not.

No error for that.

Since Outlook started being a pain in the you know what I switched to Thunderbird, you know to GET WORK DONE Outlook decided not to let me do.

Thunderbird, unlike Outlook would attach the VERY SAME files Outlook would not.

However it gave me a Sending of the message failed.

Unable to open the temporary file C:[file path] Check your 'Temporary Directory' setting. Which when I investigate is a WINDOWS issue.

Any ideas how within an hour Windows 10 could completely **** up sending, receiving emails and sending attachments.

I've restarted and run disk chk.

Right now work wise Windows is brick and costing money.

JohnMount, Oct 15, 2017
  3. BenK87 Win User
    File Explorer Share via Email

I was using Mozilla Thunderbird as my default email app. When I was in File Explorer, I could select a file or files, click the "Share" button, a menu would drop down, I clicked the "Email" icon, and Thunderbird would open, with a new email drafted, with
    the selected files attached.

I started playing with the Mail app that is included in Windows 10 yesterday, and I really like it. So I decided to make it my new default email. I uninstalled Thunderbird, set Mail as default, but when I try to send attachments via email from the File
    Explorer, the "Email" icon is grayed out.

How can I get this function to work with Mail?

Thanks!

BenK87, Oct 15, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Did you try within Thunderbird ? Under Tools/Options/Attachments, hit the drop down menu under Action/select 'Use other' will take you to dialogue where you can browse for app. Not sure how to add file types though. Good Luck

open a graphic file attached to an email received by Thunderbird 52.4 [​IMG]

mrgeek, Oct 15, 2017
  5. Alt68er Win User
    In Thunderbird all works well. But ALL users on that PC have the same problem which MUST be in Windows and NOT in Thunderbird.

THEREFORE PLEASE move this thread back to general support. I don't expect help here in browsers and email!

Thank you.

Peter

Alt68er, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. open a graphic file attached to an email received by Thunderbird 52.4 - Similar Threads - open graphic file

2. Thunderbird email inserts a photo attachment into the message as well as the attachment....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thunderbird email inserts a photo attachment into the message as well as the attachment....: Hello everyone I've Just downloaded Thunderbird. All good except it inserts a photo attachment into the message as well as the attachment. Various Email help suggests "Go to view and uncheck..etc," but there is no such item in the view menu. Please help, greeting to all
  3. Email Attachments not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Email Attachments not opening: Weird issue I can't wrap my head around.Updated a computer at my work, however on the new pc, the mail app doesn't want to open some PDF files but will open others.On the previous computer, we can still open up all PDF files no issue.I honestly don't have any idea how to sort...
  4. Email Attachments not opening

Email Attachments not opening: Weird issue I can't wrap my head around.Updated a computer at my work, however on the new pc, the mail app doesn't want to open some PDF files but will open others.On the previous computer, we can still open up all PDF files no issue.I honestly don't have any idea how to sort...
  5. Received email attachments are disappearing

Received email attachments are disappearing: When I receive an email through the mail application on my windows surface GO,, the attachments disappear when I respond to the email. How do I solved. I googled it and could not figure out how to do it through the outlook.com method. Please let me know how I can fix this....
  6. opening email attachments

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening email attachments: When I want to open an email attachment, the system forces me to save it to a file first before opening it. I used to be able to open it first and then if I want to save it. What setting do I need to change to be able to open it without having to save it?...
  7. Can't open emailed attached files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open emailed attached files: This problem occurred a week ago. Have been running same software for years without a problem. I am not able to open any file attached to an email. Email client is Windows Live Mail. Using latest version of Windows 10. I believe opening files is a Windows function. I can open...
  8. Cannot open email attached file

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot open email attached file: About a week ago, I was unable to open an emailed attached file. Doesn't matter the format; e.g. pdf, mp4, xls, etc. doesn't matter. I can save the file and then opened the saved file without problem. I have researched this problem and tried every suggestion I could find...
  9. .dat file received as email attachment - how is it best to open with Windows 10

.dat file received as email attachment - how is it best to open with Windows 10: I know nothing about .dat files and am not very technically competent. the email is from a very trusted business source https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dat-file-received-as-email-attachment-how-is-it/39f816d0-67ab-4f5c-8041-31126386f883"
  10. send to not opening an email in Thunderbird

send to not opening an email in Thunderbird: On 3/1/2019 the right click send to mail stopped working, for pictures and for pdf documents. I am using Windows 10 and Thunderbird. At one point I got an error message that another program was using my mail. Restarting produced the same error....