Windows 10: Open an Elevated Shortcut as single program?

Discus and support Open an Elevated Shortcut as single program? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, so a while ago I followed this tutorial and it worked great, but something has been bothering me with the way it works and I can't seem to find a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Shelilla, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Shelilla Win User

Open an Elevated Shortcut as single program?

Hi, so a while ago I followed this tutorial and it worked great, but something has been bothering me with the way it works and I can't seem to find a solution for it (I'm not really sure how to explain/look it up either).
    I was really hoping someone could help me with this. If there is no solution, then I can deal with it, I guess it's just me feeling a bit OCD about it *Think
    Here is what it looks like on the taskbar when I open the elevated shortcut to get rid of the UAC prompt:

Open an Elevated Shortcut as single program? [​IMG]

The icon on the right is the original program. Since the UAC bypass shortcut is a command, it is treated as a different application. If I pin the original to the taskbar and open it, I get the UAC prompt. But having two application icons for a single program kind of bothers me. I often mis-click things so it's kind of annoying to have that.

Is there a way I can just set it to open in the same window/as the same application, but still be able to open it (like with the line below it)? Or is there a way I can pin the original program to taskbar, but have the command happen when I open it?

:)

Shelilla, Dec 29, 2016

2. Shortcut not opening a file.

Cannot open any file by double clicking (or single clicking) the shortcut icon. However, by right clicking and selecting "OPEN", a file will open and execute.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

JosephMurphy1, Dec 29, 2016
  3. Can't run Powershell or cmd.exe as administrator

I have basically the same issue; if I right-click on the start menu or hit Windows+X, clicking on powershell or on powershell (admin) does nothing. If I search the start menu for command prompt or powershell, I can open the non-elevated versions, but right-clicking
    and selecting "Run as Administrator" does nothing. If I right-click and select "Open folder location", which takes me to either:

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools

then I can still only open the non-elevated versions using those shortcuts. If I follow the shortcuts back to the location of the actual programs:

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

%windir%\system32\cmd.exe

THEN (and only then) can I right-click and run as admin.

Creating new shortcuts didn't help. I can't use the new shortcuts to run as administrator, either.

___Phil___, Dec 29, 2016
  4. TechGuru Win User

I have seen this issue before and believe the only way around it is by having the icon you use to open the program only be on the desktop, and not be a shortcut used on the taskbar...how exactly is the shortcut you use to open the software as admin setup to do so? Is it using a runas.exe command of some sort?

TechGuru, Dec 29, 2016
  5. Shelilla Win User
    Um, yes I think so ^^; I just used this tutorial Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums and right-clicked the end result to pin it to taskbar...

Shelilla, Dec 29, 2016
  6. TechGuru Win User
    Ah that makes sense. So technically, the two icons are completely separate programs, but you set the icon of the shortcut (which is really a link to cmd.exe) to match that of that other software. There is no way to get around this without just putting the icon on the desktop instead of the quick launch bar, as Windows sees them as separate programs and displays them as such.

Sorry about that...

TechGuru, Dec 29, 2016
  7. Shelilla Win User
    Ah I see, well that sucks *Sad
    It's alright, it's not your fault that windows 10 can be really stupid with things. I think I can deal with it for now and if not then figure something else out.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond *Smile

Shelilla, Dec 29, 2016
  8. TechGuru Win User

Yeah :/ It annoys me when this kind of thing happens as well. Windows 10 is a bit finicky sometimes and it's definitely a nuisance that things can't just work as desired. There is always the option of disabling UAC entirely, with a major sacrifice in security...

No problem! Have a good one! *Smile

TechGuru, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Open an Elevated Shortcut as single program? - Similar Threads - Open Elevated Shortcut

2. Shortcut keys don't open programs anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut keys don't open programs anymore: I have shortcuts for a number of programs on my desktop. In the properties I have defined shortcut keys, i.e. Ctrl + Alt +N. Clicking on the shortcut opens the program. But using this key stroke on my keyboard, doesn't open the program. I have a Logitech G15 keyboard with...
  3. Shortcut keys don't open programs anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut keys don't open programs anymore: I have shortcuts for a number of programs on my desktop. In the properties I have defined shortcut keys, i.e. Ctrl + Alt +N. Clicking on the shortcut opens the program. But using this key stroke on my keyboard, doesn't open the program. I have a Logitech G15 keyboard with...
  4. Shortcut keys don't open programs anymore

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Startup Program Needs Elevation

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup Program Needs Elevation: Just purchased new pc with win10 pro build - finished complete updating. I have a backup utility called Syncback Pro that I use for backup, which works fine. I have set it up to backup my Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders as a test - all the normal methods of launching...
  6. Using shortcut keys to open programs on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using shortcut keys to open programs on Windows 10: Hey Everyone, A few years ago I installed Windows 10 and thought it would be a great idea to add shortcut (function) keys to different programs like Microsoft Word, Excel and other programs for Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop for easier startup if say I was in a web browser and...
  7. Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt: Hello I just installed WIN 10 on an old laptop (if one can call a lenovo W700 a laptop), used a win7 product key and the authentication was accepted had to create a microsoft account, refuse to give them all kind of info... arghhh I am now trying to put in the LENOVO...
  8. Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar: Hi Guys, I have Firefox pinned to my taskbar, but when I run the program, it opens up another icon in the taskbar to indicate that it's running. The other browser I use does not do that. In fact, I do not remember Firefox doing that previously. It will just "underscores"...
  9. Switch to non-elevated program from elevated prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Switch to non-elevated program from elevated prompt: Hi, I use an administrative mode (elevated) command prompt to maneuver through most of my day. I have a code editor (in this case, Crimson Editor) open at all times, and when I need to edit a file quickly, I simply type cedt <filename> at the command prompt. What is...
  10. Create Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Elevated Command Prompt Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator...