Windows 10: Open and Use Character Map in Windows

Discus and support Open and Use Character Map in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open and Use Character Map in Windows How to Open and Use Character Map in Windows You can use Character Map to view the characters that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 9, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Open and Use Character Map in Windows

How to: Open and Use Character Map in Windows

How to Open and Use Character Map in Windows

You can use Character Map to view the characters that are available for a selected font. Character Map displays the following character sets:
    You can copy individual characters or a group of characters to the clipboard, and then paste them into any compatible program. Or, depending on the program you are using (such as WordPad), you can even copy characters by dragging them from Character Map directly into an open document.

You can use Character Map to search for characters by viewing the Unicode character maps that are associated with each font. Select the character in the font you select to display the Unicode identifier. If you know the Unicode equivalent of the character that you want to insert, you can also insert a special character directly into a document without using Character Map.

This tutorial will show you how to open and use Character Map to copy individual characters or a group of characters to the clipboard in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open Run (Win+R), type charmap into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Character Map.

2. In the Font drop box menu, select the font you want to view the characters that are available it. (see screenshot below)

Open and Use Character Map in Windows [​IMG]

3. If you like, check Advanced view to select a character set, group by, or search for a character. Otherwise, you can skip this step, and go directly to step 7 below instead. (see screenshot below)

4. Select to Only View Unicode, DOS, or Windows Character Set
    A) In the Character set drop box menu, select a Unicode, DOS, or Windows character set you want displayed. (see screenshot below)

*tip If you select Unicode, you can enter the Unicode number (ex: "2022") of the special character name (ex: "Bullet") you want into the Go to Unicode box to display it first in the grid.

5. Select How to Group Characters By
    A) In the Group by drop box menu, select how you want the characters grouped by. (see screenshot below)

6. Search for a Character
    A) In the Search for box, type the name of a character you want to search for, and click/tap on the Search button. (see screenshots below)

*note After you perform a search, you can click/tap on the Reset button to reset search.

7. Copy a Character
    A) Select a special character in the grid you want to insert. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Select button. (see screenshot below)

*note If you would like to insert a group of characters, then repeat steps 7A and 7B to select more characters.

C) When finished selecting characters to insert, click/tap on the Copy button to copy the selected characters into the clipboard. (see screenshot below)

*tip If you only select one character, you will see the Keystroke you can press to insert that character into a document.

8. Insert Special Character(s) into Document
    A) In your document, position the insertion point (cursor) where you want the special character(s) to appear.

B) Paste (Ctrl+V) the selected characters from the clipboard.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 9, 2018

2. Character Map

Hi Susan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below listed questions and get back to us.

1. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    2. Does this issue occur on Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, or any other browser?
    3. Once the text disappears, are you able to undo that by press the 'Ctrl' key and the 'Z' key from your keyboard?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps:

Method 1: Check if your Windows is Up-to-date.

Go to Settings > Update and Security >
    Windows Updates and install all the Windows Updates if there are any.

Method 2: Use a different browser

Use a different browser to access Gmail and see if you are facing the same issue.

Method 3: Adding the characters manually from Character Map.

Step 1: Click on the
    Start Menu and search for Character Map and hit
    Enter.

Step 2: Once the
    Character Map launches, look for the character that you want to add >
    Select that character and click on Copy.

Step 3: Go to the email that
    you want to add the character and paste the character by pressing the ‘Windows’ key and the ‘V’ key from your keyboard and see if the characters are disappearing.

​Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 27, 2019
  3. character map

Bottom right corner of what?

I would love to have a CHARACTER MAP pinned to my windowa 10 taskbar. If anybody knows a way to do this please list every step so that any neophyte can understand the process.

LarryMacLeod, Oct 27, 2019
  4. JeanWall Win User

How do I use or find Help for using Character Map?

I, my husband, my daughter have followed the below instructions and they do not work of us.

How do I insert a special character into a document?

• Open Character Map by clicking the Start button . ...
      • Click the Font list, and then click the font you want to use.
      • Click the special character you want to insert into the document.
      • Click Select, and then click Copy.

• More items...

Using special characters (Character Map ... - Windows

JeanWall, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Arul_D Win User
    windows 10 ascii key code change

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

I would suggest you to open character Map and check if that helps. Follow the steps to open Character Map.

• In the search bar type Character Map and press Enter

• Follow the onscreen instruction
    Please do let us know if you need any further assistance related to Windows, we will be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
  6. JeanWall Win User
    How do I use or find Help for using Character Map?

Below are instructions I have followed to a T. It does not work. I have had my husband and daughter follow these directions and they get nothing.

How do I insert a special character into a document?

• Open Character Map by clicking the Start button . ...
      • Click the Font list, and then click the font you want to use.
      • Click the special character you want to insert into the document.
      • Click Select, and then click Copy.

• More items...

Using special characters (Character Map ... - Windows

windows.microsoft.com/.../windows/using-special-chara...

Microsoft Windows

JeanWall, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Open and Use Character Map in Windows - Similar Threads - Open Character Map

2. Windows Character Map customisation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Character Map customisation: Is there a way to create custom groups in Character Map program. As an engineer I use quite ofter special characters but I forget some shortcuts so it would be nice If I could leave Character Map with handpicked characters open on my secondary monitor. NB: since it is my...
  3. Ascii and Unicode characters missing from the Character map in windows used by several programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ascii and Unicode characters missing from the Character map in windows used by several programs: I use the electrical symbols all the time and after an update to office 365 the Character Map in windows Is now missing many of the Unicode and Ascii charactersI really need these back how do I get them back...
  4. Ascii and Unicode characters missing from the Character map in windows used by several programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ascii and Unicode characters missing from the Character map in windows used by several programs: I use the electrical symbols all the time and after an update to office 365 the Character Map in windows Is now missing many of the Unicode and Ascii charactersI really need these back how do I get them back...
  5. Universal Character Map

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Universal Character Map: I'm trying to download this from the Microsoft and I keep getting the following error:This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default app settings page....
  6. Universal Character Map

Universal Character Map: I'm trying to download this from the Microsoft and I keep getting the following error:This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default app settings page....
  7. Cannot access Private Use Characters in character map

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access Private Use Characters in character map: Hi there. I just bought a new Lenovo ideapad flex5 and am having an issue with the character map. I purchased fonts and after downloading them to my computer, the glyphs / private use characters are not showing up in character map. I've used these fonts before on other...
  8. Character Map

in Cortana
    Character Map: Is there a way to pin the Character Map to the bottom of my page, don't know what that area is called, so I don't have to enter it in search every time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/character-map/06e6edf3-f133-45d0-ae5b-477c6b069f03
  9. Cannot See Private Use Characters in Character Map

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot See Private Use Characters in Character Map: I have been trying, to no avail to access private use characters from a font I downloaded. I am use to opening character map and copying and pasting the characters or glyphs that I need into my Cricut software, but I have been unable to. My PC has been updated and I have...
  10. Character map

Character map: How can I find the character map on Microsoft 10? I used to get it when I entered it in "Type to search" box https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/character-map/79ea1805-3776-4843-879d-feecaafeafcd