Windows 10: Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10

Discus and support Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10 How to Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10 Timeline is available in Windows 10 starting with build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by MattMcD488, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10

How to: Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10

How to Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10

Timeline is available in Windows 10 starting with build 17063.

It can be difficult to get back to stuff you were working on in the past. You might sometimes forget which site or app you were using or where you saved a file. Now you can finally close apps without worryingwith Timeline, you can get right back to where you left off.

Timeline introduces a new way to resume past Task View, allowing you to switch between currently running apps and past activities.

In Timeline, a user activity is the combination of a specific app and a specific piece of content you were working on at a specific time. Each activity links right back to a webpage, document, article, playlist, or task, saving you time when you want to resume that activity later.

App developers are working hard to enhance their apps by creating high-quality activity cards to appear in Timeline. In this Preview release, you can see and resume web-browsing activities in Microsoft Edge, files you opened in apps like Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote, and updated UWP versions of Maps, News, Money, Sports, and Weather.

If you have more than one PC, try using Timeline on all of themyoull see the same activities no matter which PC youre using. And if an activity from one PC used a modern app that you dont have installed on another PC, Windows will help you install that app.

This tutorial will show you how to open and use Timeline to resume past activities for your local account or Microsoft account in Windows 10.

*note You will need to turn on "Collect Activities" for your account on this PC and "Filter activities from accounts" (if available) for your Microsoft account before Timeline will be able to show your past activities.

Starting with Windows 10 17083, Microsoft added the option to delete everything from a given hour or day from the context menu. When you are in the default view, you will see a new clear all from day option when right-clicking on an activity. If you clicked see all to see activities for just one day, this option changes to allow you to clear all from hour instead. Because this option can clear a lot of activities at once, we will ask you to confirm this choice before deleting the activities.

Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10 [​IMG]

*Warning Timeline requires the Windows Search service to be enabled, running, and set to Automatic (Delayed Start).

Here's How:

1. Either click/tap on the Task View icon on the taskbar, or press the Win+Tab keys to see your Timeline. (see screenshots below)

*note If you have more than one display, then:
    • If you press the Win+Tab keys, Timeline will show on your main display by default.
    • If you click/tap on the Task View icon, then Timeline will show on the same display that the taskbar was on.

2. The default view of Timeline shows snapshots of the most relevant activities from earlier in the day or a specific past date. A new annotated scrollbar makes it easy to get back to past activities. (see screenshot below)

3. You can click/tap on a See all link next to a date header to see all the activities that happened for that single day. Your activities will be organized into groups by hour to help you find tasks you know you worked on that morning, or whenever. (see screenshot above and below)

*note You can click/tap on the See only top activities link next to the day's header to return to the default view of Timeline.

4. If you cant find the activity you are looking for in the default view, you can click/tap on the Search icon in the upper-right corner of Timeline to open the search box to search for it. (see screenshot above and below)

*note You can also press the Ctrl+F keys to open the search box.

5. When you find the activity you are looking for, you can click/tap on the activity to open and resume it.

*note Microsoft would love to hear your feedback, so please press the feedback button in the upper-right corner of Timeline if you have any problems or suggestions.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

MattMcD488, Apr 27, 2018
  2. BrentA Win User

WP7.5 PeopleHub not showing posts from FaceBook Timeline

I noticed that today when I posted a status update using the integrated FaceBook part of Windows Phone 7.5 that it did not show up on my timeline. It does show up on my news feed when I look at it on my computer but the post does not show up on my
    timeline. I just switched to the timeline feature the week before Christmas and today was the first time I made a status update using my phone since I have switch to the timeline. It looks to me that post made via Windows Phone 7.5 does not show up on the
    timeline.

BrentA, Apr 27, 2018
  3. nessalpha Win User
    N73

You can use your Lifeblog to recover some txt msgs ,images and videos etc, just update timeline. Open Lifeblog > options > update timeline.. you have to delete some files in Lifeblog regularly to recover some memory, to avoid the msg, "memory full delete
    some data".

nessalpha, Apr 27, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10

Hello Matt,

I'm not aware of a way to have exclusions for Timeline. *Sad

Brink, Apr 27, 2018
Thema:

Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10

1. Open and Use Timeline in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Timeline

2. How do I get the taskbar open with left edge swipe, integrated into timeline at screen bottom?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I get the taskbar open with left edge swipe, integrated into timeline at screen bottom?: Originally, my taskbar opened with left edge swipe together with timeline. I just swiped from the left, and the task view timeline had the taskbar at the bottom. At that time, I contacted the online Microsoft Surface support to change it into an XP style taskbar opening on...
  3. Clicking on search box used to open timeline - not anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Clicking on search box used to open timeline - not anymore: When i click on the windows search box (next to the start button) it opens up a box, but it does not display my latest documents, webpages etc. It only shows the most popular apps. It used to display a timeline with most recent items. I haven't actively disabled anything so...
  4. How do I open O365 documents from Windows 10 Timeline / Task View?

How do I open O365 documents from Windows 10 Timeline / Task View?: If I click on an MS Office document in the Timeline, and the document resides on SharePoint or OneDrive, the file "Save As" dialog box opens. If the document is only my local disk, it simply opens. I want it to open the document in both cases. We use SharePoint almost...
  5. .XLSM file opened from Windows 10 Timeline opens in Excel Mobile!?!?!??!!?!?

.XLSM file opened from Windows 10 Timeline opens in Excel Mobile!?!?!??!!?!?: Environment is Windows 10 Pro x64. Current with updates and feature updates. I have Office365 Home Premium installed. Windows default for all Excel file types I just looked at says Excel not Excel Mobile. Nonetheless, all of a sudden my laptop has taken to opening Excel...
  6. Why is Windows Timeline opening Excel files in Excel Mobile?!!!?

Why is Windows Timeline opening Excel files in Excel Mobile?!!!?: Environment is Win 10 Pro x64, current on stable updates/feature updates. Windows Timeline on both my Windows 10 machines has taken to opening Excel files in Excel Mobile Fisher Price Excel rather than the fully licensed, installed, default for file type, Excel from Office...
  7. Timeline downloads a copy of Office files from OneDrive instead of opening the files in the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Timeline downloads a copy of Office files from OneDrive instead of opening the files in the...: When opening an Ofiice file stored in OneDrive by clicking on it in Timeline, the file does not open in the corresponding web or desktop Office Application. Instead, my browser downloads a read-only copy of the file and presents its usual file download dialog: "Do you want...
  8. Opening files from the Windows Timeline

Opening files from the Windows Timeline: Hello, How do I change the functionality of the Windows Timeline so that when I click on for example a Photoshop File it opens it in Photoshop? At the moment all files (excel, word, photoshop, etc) open up in the web browser which is Chrome in this case. Thanks for your...
  9. Task View / Timeline is enabled but won't show recently opened files

Task View / Timeline is enabled but won't show recently opened files: Hi, Task View / Timeline is enabled. It shows me my recent MS Edge history. But it won't show me the files I have recently opened. How can I get Task View to show me the recently opened files? I also observed that using File Explorer I am ALSO not able to see my...
  10. Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app

Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app: Ever since 1809, the Windows Timeline feature opens all Office documents that I work on in the web browser, instead of the application locally. Word, Excel, PowerPoint docs all try to open in web. Can the path be changed?...