Windows 10: open application again in new virtual desktop

Discus and support open application again in new virtual desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello i want open application again in new desktop, for example, when i open firefox, it open new in new dekstop, but when i open Thunderbird, it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 3245, May 14, 2016.

1. 3245 Win User

open application again in new virtual desktop

Hello
    i want open application again in new desktop, for example, when i open firefox, it open new in new dekstop, but when i open Thunderbird, it will switch to same desktop it was open, but i want open again new in new virtual desktop.

how its possible?

thanks.

:)

2. JulianGT Win User

New instances of an application open in incorrect virtual desktop

Hi,

If I have an instance of MS Word, or any other application, opened in virtual desktop one, when I try to open a new instance in a different virtual desktop it takes me back to the desktop where I originally opened the application and opens a new instance
    of it there. I then have to go to overview mode and move the new instance of the application to the virtual desktop that I want it in. This is very annoying.

Does anyone know how to ensure that when I open a new instance of an already active application it opens it in the current virtual desktop, and not where the application was originally opened?

Thank you

JulianGT, May 14, 2016
  3. Is it possible to add "Open In New Virtual Desktop" by right clicking on the menu on Windows 10?

Original Title:right click menu "Open In New Virtual Desktop"

would it be possible to add an "Open in New Virtual Desktop" to the right click menu to make it easier for users (especially users using touch pads on laptops like me xD) to open stuff which are full screen applications eg installers, emulators, games, DAW's
    (eg fl studio, cubasis), or other applications (especially applications that are difficult to bring up the start menu cus the application does not allow that during full screen, for example, GTA San Andreas, DC Universe Online) which the user may want to open
    in a new Virtual Desktop (so everything is not all jumbled up and all over the place and possibly slowing down other applications on that Virtual Desktop) but not want to have to bring up task view then drag the item to a new Virtual Desktop every single time
    nor open a new Virtual Desktop then go to the file then open it then close the browser so only the application is open

MatthewGood, May 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, virtual desktop in Win 10 is pretty basic- Just key combos to create new, next, previous, delete desktops.

3rd party apps have been around to provide various styles of virtual desktops, from cubes to 360 degrees, for a long time and some of these are more sophisticated then Windows'.

It would be pretty easy to set up a hotkey for a shortcut pointing to a simple script that would, say, go to the previous desktop and launch T'bird, but I don't think that would be very useful.

As far as I know you couldn't specify, say, Desktop 2.

dalchina, May 16, 2016
  5. 3245 Win User
    i think you not understand me,
    let me explain

for example i have two desktop
    desktop 1
    desktop 2

i opened bluestack in desktop 1,
    now i switch to desktop 2, and i want open bluestack in desktop 2, but when i click on bluestack, it automatically switch to desktop 1, but i don't want it switch to desktop1 and i want it open bluestack in same desktop 2

understand me?

6. dalchina New Member
    I'm saying there isn't the control you want. Sorry. Win 10 Virtual Desktops is quite basic. Do you understand me?

You could see if a 3rd party desktop program for virtual desktops meets your requirements.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. open application again in new virtual desktop - Similar Threads - open application again

2. Making WIndows switch to the 1st virtual desktop when opening a new application DEV INSIDER...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making WIndows switch to the 1st virtual desktop when opening a new application DEV INSIDER...: Hi,I want to ask if making WIndows switch to the 1st virtual desktop when opening a new application is a thing in Windows 11.I'm running:Processor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHzEdition: Windows 11 Home Insider PreviewVersion: 22H2Installed on:...
  3. Making WIndows switch to the 1st virtual desktop when opening a new application DEV INSIDER...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making WIndows switch to the 1st virtual desktop when opening a new application DEV INSIDER...: Hi,I want to ask if making WIndows switch to the 1st virtual desktop when opening a new application is a thing in Windows 11.I'm running:Processor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHzEdition: Windows 11 Home Insider PreviewVersion: 22H2Installed on:...
  4. Opening New Application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening New Application: Hello, I recently reverted back to windows 10 from 11 due to audio issues that I couldn't resolve.My machine runs much faster, however any time I open a chat window steam/discord or a new chrome browser any for that matter the default selection isn't in the text field. I.E....
  5. Virtual Desktop cannot open same application on different desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktop cannot open same application on different desktops: The virtual desktop feature in Windows 10 doesn't distinguish between the same application running on different desktops. For example: I open three files in Notepad++ on desktop 1. Later I open a file in Notepad++ to desktop 2. Instead of opening the file in a new instance of...
  6. Preserve virtual desktops AND open applications on reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preserve virtual desktops AND open applications on reboot: Currently on v2004 Currently have "Sign-in options --> Restart apps" on, but all my apps restarted on virtual desktop 1 even if some of them were on virtual desktop 2 when I rebooted How do I get Windows to preserve the app/VD relationship upon reboot so I don't have to...
  7. open a blank virtual desktop

open a blank virtual desktop: How to create or open a blank virtual desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-a-blank-virtual-desktop/faa90b46-51c7-4c91-a9cc-3e88325e9914
  8. New Applications Not Opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Applications Not Opening: Laptop: MSI ge62 6qd, 16gb memory, ssd and hdd, 64 bit, Intel i7 processor, Windows 10 Recently I've come across the same issue with two completely different programs where I install them and run them but they don't open. The background process for each shows up in my task...
  9. Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop

Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop: Is there any way to restrict a specific application to a specific desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/assigning-application-to-specific-virtual-desktop/f7e08427-455e-4c78-b1bd-806c6f4c1557
  10. Move applications to virtual desktops.

in Windows 10 Support
    Move applications to virtual desktops.: Hi, I was so happy to see virtual desktops on Windows. However, there's one thing I can't figure out: How do I move and application from one desktop to another, and how can I make sure an application always opens on the same virtual desktop? This was easy on Linux, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does anyone know how to ensure that when i open a new instance of an already active application it opens it in the current virtual desktop and not where the application was originally opened?