Windows 10: Open cmd from file explorer with admin rights

Discus and support Open cmd from file explorer with admin rights in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I managed to get cmd to always run as admin from start->cmd But running cmd this way always launch it at the windows/system32 directory. I need a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KyoSuke, Sep 21, 2016.

1. KyoSuke Win User

Open cmd from file explorer with admin rights

I managed to get cmd to always run as admin from start->cmd

But running cmd this way always launch it at the windows/system32 directory.

I need a way to run cmd in file explorer directly so that the current directory will be at the path I launched it but it is always launching without the admin rights.

:)

KyoSuke, Sep 21, 2016

2. Missing files

Open File Explorer, select Documents in the left pane, then go to File > Open command prompt > Open command prompt as admin. This will open an admin cmd prompt in Documents.

Now enter dir /a and upload a screenshot of what is displayed.

RobertJWin, Sep 21, 2016
  3. What does Error Code 80240020 mean for Win10 update

Michael,

To repeat my earlier comments, the people who said delete the downloads and run the update manually had the winning answer.

Briefly:

step 1: open explorer, navigate to \windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download . Delete EVERYTHING in that directory: files and folders. You won't hurt anything. You will need to give admin approval to the delete

step 2: open a command prompt (type cmd in the search box) in admin mode (right click on cmd and select admin mode) and type:

wuauclt.exe /updatenow

into the box. Windows update will open and it will install 10.

Meg

Megabuttons, Sep 21, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Easiest way is to have it run from right click context menu. Copy and paste the code and save it as .reg file. Double click on the file to merge to the registry. Right click anywhere on desktop/file explorer, select "Admin Command Here":
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\runas] @="Admin Command Here" "NoWorkingDirectory"="" "HasLUAShield"="" "Position"="Top" "Icon"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\cmd.exe" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\runas\command] @="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""[/quote]
    Open cmd from file explorer with admin rights [​IMG]

topgundcp, Sep 21, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    You have to open File Explorer, go to the directory that you want it to run in, then right click and run Command in that directory. The only time that you want to open Command in a particular directory, is if you are going to run say Powercfg and need the report from it placed into that directory.

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  6. Vesao Win User
    Please check out this tutorial:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

"Option 7" should be what you're looking for.

Vesao, Sep 21, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 21, 2016
  8. Try3 Win User

You can add the necessary command to the File explorer Quick access toolbar [without doing any Registry edits or using any additional utilities].

In File explorer,
    click on File ,
    hover over Open command prompt,
    right click on Open command prompt as administrator,
    select Add to Quick access toolbar.

The facility will then always be readily available to you on the QAT so you can get an Admin prompt open set to the current File explorer folder when you need it.

[You can also do this with the standard Open command prompt entry]

Denis

Try3, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Open cmd from file explorer with admin rights - Similar Threads - Open cmd file

2. Open CMD as admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open CMD as admin: Hi all,I want to run a batch file that opens a command window as admin and then changes the directory to a specific one.Please help.After that - I wish the cmd will stay open for me to write commands. Meaning - I do not wish the cmd window to close.Guy...
  3. Open CMD as admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open CMD as admin: Hi all,I want to run a batch file that opens a command window as admin and then changes the directory to a specific one.Please help.After that - I wish the cmd will stay open for me to write commands. Meaning - I do not wish the cmd window to close.Guy...
  4. Open CMD as admin

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to Open Cmd window with Admin

Unable to Open Cmd window with Admin: Hello - For the past 2 or 3 weeks, I have tried to open a CMD window with Admin but nothing happens. I right click the Win key in lower left, click "Command Prompt Admin" but then nothing happens. In the past, a few seconds after clicking the above button, a new cmd window...
  6. unrelated friend named as defaultaccount in CMD? lacking admin rights on files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unrelated friend named as defaultaccount in CMD? lacking admin rights on files: [ATTACH] So i don't know how the hell i accomplished this, but somehow a friends name is stated as default account and im missing administrator privileges on ALOT of files I'm a hardware guy and completely clueless on software so i'd love some help on how to fix this...
  7. Cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode

Cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode: I am using win 10 pro. My initial problem is I cannot display list of wifi networks. I cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode. I've used all the trouble shooting steps on this site and nothing works. Short of throwing this PC out the window is there anything else I can try?...
  8. File explorer opens when I try to open CMD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer opens when I try to open CMD: The title is pretty self-explanatory but I'll repeat it. When I type cmd in the windows search bar I get a small window that pops down really quick. After that file explorer opens up. when I press WIN+R and type in CMD it does the same. When I open cmd with powershell I do...
  9. Can't run cmd from file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't run cmd from file explorer: submitted by /u/roryc102 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e9c0d1/cant_run_cmd_from_file_explorer/
  10. File Explorer Closes Immediately as I Open, CMD Does Not Want to Run as Admin, Windows...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Closes Immediately as I Open, CMD Does Not Want to Run as Admin, Windows...: 1. Laptop was working fine earlier. No new apps were installed. 2. File explorer just closes as I open it. No warning or error message. 3. Right clicking CMD and running it as Admin won't work. 4. Windows won't update. 5. Virus Threat and Protection updates keep on...