Windows 10: Open command window here - Add in Windows 10

Discus and support Open command window here - Add in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open command window here - Add in Windows 10 How to Add 'Open command window here' context menu in Windows 10 A command prompt is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by SOHO1, Dec 9, 2016.

1. SOHO1 Win User

Open command window here - Add in Windows 10

How to: Open command window here - Add in Windows 10

How to Add 'Open command window here' context menu in Windows 10

A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the command prompt, you can perform tasks on your computer without using the Windows graphical interface.

Starting with Open PowerShell window here context menu item.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove a Open command window here context menu for all users in Windows 10.

This context menu will open a command prompt using the same working directory that you right clicked on.

*note While you must be signed in as an administrator to add and remove the "Open command window here" context menu, all users can use the context menu when added.

The "Open command window here" context menu will be available when you right click or shift + right click on a folder or drive, and when you right click or shift + right click on the background of a folder, drive, library, or desktop.

EXAMPLE: "Open command window here" context menu

Open command window here - Add in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (add-right click), step 3 (add-Shift+right click) , or step 4 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add Right Click "Open command window here" Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Add_Open_command_window_here.reg

Download

3. To Add Shift + Right Click "Open command window here" Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Add_Shift+Open_command_window_here.reg

Download

4. To Remove "Open command window here" Context Menu
    *note This is the default setting.

Remove_Open_command_window_here.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

SOHO1, Dec 9, 2016
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 9, 2016
  3. Robbo999 Win User
    Robbo999, Dec 9, 2016
  4. hexaae Win User

Is it possible to re-add Command Prompt also from Explorer "File" menu as it was before Windows 10 CU?

Open command window here - Add in Windows 10 [​IMG]

hexaae, Apr 16, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @hexaae, *Smile

I haven't found a way to add it back to the File menu yet, but I will keep an eye out.

Brink, Apr 16, 2017
  6. JeffF73 Win User
    Hello.
    I added "Open Command Prompt Here" a few days ago. Everything worked fine until I noticed It added to the context menu of my Start10. Which caused an issue with the right hand menu (folders and etc) every time I click on a folder Link it opens the command prompt now instead of the folder. so I removed "Open Command Prompt Here". It removed it on the computer but not from start10 context menu. any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

JeffF73, Apr 19, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jeff, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The "Open command prompt here" context menu adds entries at the registry key locations below. The remove .reg file will remove them from there. You could double check in your registry to see if the cmd2 keys have been removed at all the locations below in Registry Editor (regedit.exe).

If they have been removed, then something else is causing this.

Code: [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd2] [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd2] [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd2] [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LibraryFolder\Background\shell\cmd2][/quote]
    Does this happen with folders in Windows Explorer as well?

If it does, then you might see if downloading and merging the .reg files for the listed Directory and Folder items in the table of Option 2 in the tutorial below may help. It will restore their default registry entries.

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Brink, Apr 19, 2017
  8. JeffF73 Win User

Hello Brink and Thank you for your reply.
    I had to go into the registry and search for either "cmd2" or "Open command window here" which both lead me to the "cmd2" folder that was added in another location. I deleted the folder and all works great now.

JeffF73, Apr 20, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news.

Do you remember the location that caused this for you?

Brink, Apr 20, 2017
  10. JeffF73 Win User
    Sorry I didn't catch the Path/Location in regedit. If it ever happens again I will post the results.
    I figured out what caused this issue I had though. I used "Winaero Tweaker" and the Add_Open_command_window_here.reg that you have above at the same time.
    The "Winaero Tweaker" added the new path/location settings in registry which caused an issue with my Start10, your posted removal.reg above removed the other options from the desktop/folder context menus. But Even though I used your removal.reg the to remove it. The "Winaero Tweaker" kept it stuck in the Start10 context menu which caused an issue with my right side folders context menu and only opened command prompt when even while left clicking because it made it an active link. It's better to only use one or the other I have found out LOL. now with Winaero Tweakers Open Command Prompt Here removed as well as registry key's the Start10 doesn't have it at all now even with your Add_Open_command_window_here.reg applied.

JeffF73, Apr 21, 2017
  11. hexaae Win User
    Mmmh, I tried to add for the newly created 3 cmd2 entries in the registry:
    ShowBasedOnVelocityId (DWORD32): <num>
    (with <num> based on the corresponding value originally under the original 3 cmd HideBasedOnVelocityId) but nothing changed.

I tried the trick on cmd2 entries since I can't modify original keys (owner is usual TrustedInstaller...)
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd\HideBasedOnVelocityId
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd\HideBasedOnVelocityId
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd\HideBasedOnVelocityId

...but I think this is the right direction to get back the items in File menu *Wink
    We're close to solution...

hexaae, Apr 21, 2017
  12. hexaae Win User
    Just tried with SYSTEM rights to edit those keys:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd\HideBasedOnVelocityId
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd\HideBasedOnVelocityId
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd\HideBasedOnVelocityId
    changing HideBasedOnVelocityId -> ShowBasedOnVelocityId, but didn't re-add the cmd prompt back in File menu *Sad
    They only re-enabled cmd prompt on Shift+RMB just like your tutorial for "cmd2"...

hexaae, Apr 21, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news Jeff. Thank you for posting back with your findings. *Smile

Brink, Apr 21, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It was a worth a try.

I added "cmd2" to avoid folks from having to take ownership of the original "cmd" key first. It's just a workaround to make it easier to apply.

Brink, Apr 21, 2017
  15. TG2
    TG2 Win User
    Does this mean you've given up hope? Maybe obi-wan can help? can we find an obi-wan for this?
    *Biggrin

Seriously though .. adding myself to this thread in case you do find one .. I'm not averse to having *both* CMD & PowerShell ... I just don't need power shell and like the muscle memory of ALT+F C (or arrow down and enter). If I had a million dollars.. I'd be leaving thank yous at a lot of sites, TenForums would get at least tree fiddy. OOpen command window here - Add in Windows 10 :) *Wink

Thema:

1. Open command window here - Add in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open command window

2. Command Prompt not opening in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt not opening in Windows 10: I had a problem opening command prompt in Windows 10. When I used Win+R and typing in cmd, the command prompt opened for a brief moment and the closed again. I found the culprit causing this on my PC, it was a malware/spyware program called soundmixer.exe. If you have...
  3. Add or Remove Open Linux shell here context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open Linux shell here context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open Linux shell here context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove "Open Linux shell here" context menu in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools...
  4. Open Windows Prompt here

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Windows Prompt here: Wait Wait...... it's possibly to remove the SHIFT button to be appears the "Open Windows Prompt here" for a folder like on Windows 7 ? On sevenforum the trick it's here: Open Command Window Here - Add or Remove Shift + Right Click - Windows 7 Help Forums I don't know...
  5. Open PowerShell window here context menu - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open PowerShell window here context menu - Add in Windows 10: How to: Open PowerShell window here context menu - Add in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Open PowerShell window here' context menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with Windows PowerShell 5.0 included. Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and...
  6. Open command window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open command window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10: How to: Open command window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10 How to Add "Open command window here as administrator" context menu in Windows 10 A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at...
  7. Add Open PowerShell window here as administrator in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Open PowerShell window here as administrator in Windows 10: How to: Add Open PowerShell window here as administrator in Windows 10 How to Add "Open PowerShell window here as administrator" context menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with Windows PowerShell 5.0 included. Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell...
  8. Open Bash window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Bash window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10: How to: Open Bash window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10 How to Add 'Open Bash window here as administrator' context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft first made investments that improve cmd, PowerShell, and many other command-line tools and...
  9. Open Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Command Prompt in Windows 10: How to: Open Command Prompt in Windows 10 How to Open a Command Prompt in Windows 10 A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the command prompt, you can perform tasks on your computer without...
  10. Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10: How to: Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10 How to Add 'Open Bash window here' context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft first made investments that improve cmd, PowerShell, and many other command-line tools and developer scenarios....