Windows 10: Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10 How to Open Each Folder in the Same or New Window in Windows 10 While you browse in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by rwgarre, Dec 30, 2017.

1. rwgarre Win User

Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10

How to: Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10

How to Open Each Folder in the Same or New Window in Windows 10

While you browse in File Explorer, you can open each drive, folder, and library in the same window or in its own new window.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to open each drive, folder, or library in the same or new window for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Window using Context Menu
    • Option Two: Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Window using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Three: Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Windows from File Menu in File Explorer
    • Option Four: Open Folder, Library, or Drive in Same or New Windows from File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Five: Set to Open Folders, Libraries, and Drives in Same or New Window by Default in Folder Options
    • Option Six: Set to Open Folders, Libraries, and Drives in Same or New Window by Default in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Window using Context Menu
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+X).

2. Right click or press and hold on one or more selected folders, libraries, or drives in File Explorer, and click/tap on Open in new window. (see screenshot below)

Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Window using Keyboard Shortcut

*note In Tabs in apps (Sets) is turned on.
    1. Press the Ctrl+N keys to open the currently opened folder, drive, or library in a new window.

OPTION THREE [/i] Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Windows from File Menu in File Explorer
    1. While in File Explorer (Win+E), select one or more folders, libraries, and/or drives. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the File tab on the menu bar, and:

A) Click/tap on Open new window.

OR

B) Click/tap on the arrow to the right of Open new window, and click/tap on either Open new window or Open new window in new process.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Open Folder, Library, or Drive in Same or New Windows from File Explorer Ribbon
    1. While in File Explorer, select one or more folders, libraries, and/or drives.

2. Click/tap on the Home tab (folder/library) or Computer tab (This PC), and do one of the following actions:
    • Press and hold the Shift key, click/tap on Open in the ribbon, and release the Shift key.
    • Press and hold the Ctrl key, click/tap on Open in the ribbon, and release the Ctrl key. In Tabs in apps (Sets) is turned on.
    *note If you select more than one folder, library, and/or drive, then this will open each item in its own new window.

If you select only one folder, library, or drive, then:

Shift will open the item how you have it set to do so in Option Four or Option Five below.

Ctrl will open the item the opposite of how you have it set to do so in Tabs in apps (Sets) is turned on.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Set to Open Folders, Libraries, and Drives in Same or New Window by Default in Folder Options
    1. Open Folder Options (aka: File Explorer Options).

2. In the General tab, select (dot) Open each folder in the same window (default) or Open each folder in its own folder for what you want under Browse folders, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] Set to Open Folders, Libraries, and Drives in Same or New Window by Default in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the registry key location below in Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState

3. In the right pane of the CabinetState key, double click/tap on the Settings binary value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (same) or step 6 (new) below for what you want.

5. To Open Each Folder and Drive in the Same Window
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) In the 5th column of line 0000, change 2A to 0A, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Open Each Folder and Drive in its Own New Window
    A) In the 5th column of line 0000, change 0A to 2A, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

rwgarre, Dec 30, 2017

2. Windows Explorer Won't Open Folder in Same Window

There 2 settings for this. Please confirm if you have done the same

File Explorer > View tab > Options > Change folder & search options

1. General tab > Select Open each folder in the same Window

2. View tab > Select Launch folder windows in a separate process

Source -
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Do let me know if these don't work for you. If not, I will provide further troubleshooting steps to you to solve this problem.

E for Excel, Dec 30, 2017
  3. D-Ma Win User
    Windows Explorer Won't Open Folder in Same Window

Thanks E for Excel, I did try that too, but it didn't work. I did find the problem: there's a bug with Adobe Photoshop CC that was causing it. I used Regedit and deleted this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\MODULES\NavPane

That solved my problem. Thanks for the help!

4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello rwgarre, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

"Open each folder in the same window" only applies when you are opening folders in the same File Explorer window.

When you click on a folder icon on your desktop, that is considered to be different that your other currently opened File Explorer windows, so it will open the folder from your desktop in a new window. This is normal behavior.

As a workaround, you could turn on "Show all folders" in the navigation pane of File Explorer.

*Arrow Turn On or Off Show all folders in Windows 10 Navigation Pane Customization Tutorials

Afterwards, you should see all the folders (not shortcuts though) on your desktop at the bottom of the tree chart in the navigation pane like below to click on and have them open in that same window.

Brink, Dec 30, 2017
  5. rwgarre Win User
    Thank you very much for your clear explanation - and your helpful suggestion. Your great knowledge, tutorials, and insights have been invaluable to me and undoubtedly others for many years. I sincerely wish you a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year Shawn...

rwgarre, Dec 31, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome rwgarre, and Happy New Year. *Party

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Each Folder

2. Windows 10 - File Explorer keeps opening a new Icon each time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - File Explorer keeps opening a new Icon each time: My Windows 10 File Explorer keeps opening a new stack of tabs, in a new icon separate from File Explorer. Any help to fix this issue? I have also noticed this issue sometimes happens when I sign onto OneDrive--so is it also OneDrive related?I have already tried the solutions...
  3. Windows 10 - File Explorer keeps opening a new Icon each time

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - File Explorer keeps opening a new Icon each time: My Windows 10 File Explorer keeps opening a new stack of tabs, in a new icon separate from File Explorer. Any help to fix this issue? I have also noticed this issue sometimes happens when I sign onto OneDrive--so is it also OneDrive related?I have already tried the solutions...
  4. Why does window 11 always open a new folder for the same folder that is already opened?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does window 11 always open a new folder for the same folder that is already opened?: So I click on a folder on my desktop windows 11, after a while I minimize it and forget that it was opened. So I click the folder in the desktop and instead of bringing up the already open folder, it just creates a new one. By the end of the day I release that I have 8 of the...
  5. Why does window 11 always open a new folder for the same folder that is already opened?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does window 11 always open a new folder for the same folder that is already opened?: So I click on a folder on my desktop windows 11, after a while I minimize it and forget that it was opened. So I click the folder in the desktop and instead of bringing up the already open folder, it just creates a new one. By the end of the day I release that I have 8 of the...
  6. Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10

Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10: I have just set up a new Windows 10 workstation. I have noticed that the same folder can be opened many times simultaneously in separate windows, cluttering up the system tray.I have tried changing the folder options, but this makes no difference.. Naturally I want to...
  7. File Explorer opens up in a new folder each time

File Explorer opens up in a new folder each time: Windows Explorer keeps opening up in a new window each time I click on it. I have tried a number of suggested solutions but nothing is working to get it it to only open in the same window. Does anyone know how to fix this please. And yes, I do have it checked to "Open each...
  8. All folders open in a new window.

All folders open in a new window.: When I open a folder, it's open in a new window. All folders open in a new window. I want to resolve this problem. please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-open-in-a-new-window/adfe3506-25ad-4e33-9841-dfdc7af5fc80"
  9. Open folder window at same position every time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open folder window at same position every time: Hello! Whenever I open a folder and position it on desktop whereI want it to be, after closing and reopening it again, it repositions. With a few opening-closings I realized that every time I open the folder anew, it gets repositioned a bit lower, diagonally. This wasn't...
  10. Two document folders each contain same files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two document folders each contain same files: [img] I don't know how it happened, but I have 2 document folders and each contain the same files. The same thing happened recently to my picture folder, but in this case one folder shows the camera roll and a folder with saved pics and the other shows saved pics open...