Windows 10: Open folder that has corrupted and is now a file?

Discus and support Open folder that has corrupted and is now a file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I was working on some files off a external hard drive. I think someone removed my external drive while the files were still open so several of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kzimm14, Apr 26, 2016.

1. kzimm14 Win User

Open folder that has corrupted and is now a file?

Hello,
    I was working on some files off a external hard drive. I think someone removed my external drive while the files were still open so several of my files and folders have been corrupted. I have been able to recover the word documents that were corrupted; however, there is a folder containing some text scripts (R statistical scripts) that has been converted from a folder to a file. Therefore now when I click on the former folder it doesn't open in Windows Explorer like a normal folder does, but rather it gives me the option of selecting what App to open the file. I was wondering if its possible to revert this back to a folder so I can view the files contained within it. Or does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to extract the underlying files?

Thanks.

:)

kzimm14, Apr 26, 2016

2. Windows 10 creates a folder that has label "xxxx" that is very large and I would like to delete it but it i locked

Hi Nigel,

It's possible that the folder you wish to delete is saved on a drive that is secured by BitLocker, we recommend that you first turn off the BitLocker on the suggested drive by following these steps:

• Search for Manage BitLocker on the Ask me anything bar.
    • Locate and select the drive where the folder is saved.
    • Click on Turn off BitLocker.
    • From the dialog box, select Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption.

Once you've disabled BitLocker, locate and delete the desired folder that you wish to remove from your drive.

Note: We highly suggest that you check first the content of the folder before deleting it.

Let us know if you encounter any challenge along the process.

Darwin Dim, Apr 26, 2016
  3. Windows 10 creates a folder that has label "xxxx" that is very large and I would like to delete it but it i locked

I am using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3 and have noted a folder in C:/ drive that has the label "xxxx" and is quite large and I would like to delete the folder but it is locked but is taking up valuable space. I purchased my Surface from MS in 2015 and
    don't have very much space and need to get rid of this as I think it is there to enable me to go back to old OS which was windows 8 or whatever MS sold Surface with in August 2015. I realise that if I got rid of it I may loose the ability to go back to old
    OS but that is surely up to me? Is it possible to remove it as I went into CMD and it then said it was locked with bitlocker or the C drive is locked?

Suprisingly the folder seems to be quite large with a load of duplicate folders already in the main windows directories such as User/Program etc and it has a total volume of well over 8gigs

NigelBlanchard, Apr 26, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

Wullail, Apr 26, 2016
  5. kzimm14 Win User
    kzimm14, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Open folder that has corrupted and is now a file? - Similar Threads - Open folder has

2. Folder has disappeared and now showing as shortcut file that cannot be opened.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder has disappeared and now showing as shortcut file that cannot be opened.: I have thousands of files in that folder. I need it!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-has-disappeared-and-now-showing-as-shortcut/2e1a5aee-c9cc-44b3-89ef-92f980c5979a
  3. Folder has disappeared and now showing as shortcut file that cannot be opened.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder has disappeared and now showing as shortcut file that cannot be opened.: I have thousands of files in that folder. I need it!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-has-disappeared-and-now-showing-as-shortcut/2e1a5aee-c9cc-44b3-89ef-92f980c5979a
  4. Unable to open corrupt file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open corrupt file: Hi, 1 have removed an account from my pc, but I clicked option to keep my folders, but it didn't keep the 3D Objects folder, so l've lost all the content. I've already tried some 3rd party softwares such as DiskDrill and Recuva. Although I have the lost files, I can't open...
  5. Unable to open corrupt file

Unable to open corrupt file: Hi, 1 have removed an account from my pc, but I clicked option to keep my folders, but it didn't keep the 3D Objects folder, so l've lost all the content. I've already tried some 3rd party softwares such as DiskDrill and Recuva. Although I have the lost files, I can't open...
  6. Unable to open corrupt file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Documents folder has become corrupted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder has become corrupted: Hello, I haven't been able to access my documents folder, and will get a response that it is corrupted and unreadable. I've run DISM and the System File Checker, none report any corrupted files or repairs....
  8. Documents folder has become corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder has become corrupted: Hello, I haven't been able to access my documents folder, and will get a response that it is corrupted and unreadable. I've run DISM and the System File Checker, none report any corrupted files or repairs....
  9. Documents folder has become corrupted

10. Accidentally moved program files into another folder now it is corrupt

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally moved program files into another folder now it is corrupt: I accidentally dragged and dropped the "program files (x86)" folder while trying to open it into another folder which caused the folder to become corrupt. It was placed in the WindowsApps folder below. [img] When I try to open the program folder I get this error....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. corrupt folder is now a file