Windows 10: Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 Add or Remove 'Open file location' and 'Open folder location' Context Menu in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by alesyt0h, Jun 4, 2016.

1. alesyt0h Win User

Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

How to: Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

Add or Remove 'Open file location' and 'Open folder location' Context Menu in Windows 10

When you right click or press and hold on a shortcut of a file, shortcut of a folder, file or folder in search results, or a file or folder in a library in File Explorer, you can click/tap on the Open file location or Open folder location context menu item to open the source location of the file or folder with the file or folder selected.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the 'Open file location' and 'Open folder location' context menu for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove the 'Open file location' and 'Open folder location' context menu.

EXAMPLE: "Open file location" and "Open folder location" context menu

Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Open file location" and "Open folder location" Context Menu
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Open_Location_context_menu.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Open file location" and "Open folder location" Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Open_Location_context_menu.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

alesyt0h, Jun 4, 2016
  2. Bruce Hagen, Jun 4, 2016
  3. Bruce Hagen, Jun 4, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm afraid that this is only for File Explorer instead. *Sad

Brink, Jun 4, 2016
  5. cool brink i like it *Cool

gijoetech1, Jun 4, 2016
  6. alesyt0h Win User
    Just found the solution on another topic of yours: Open File Location-Start Menu-Windows 7? - Windows 7 Help Forums

Thanks for it!

Anyway to make shift+right click as default every time I click right click on a item inside the start menu?

alesyt0h, Jun 4, 2016
  7. alesyt0h Win User
    Thanks!

But still, it is possible to merge or making shift+right click as a default right click?

alesyt0h, Jun 4, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I haven't been able to get it to use Shift + Right Click with the usual "Extended" string value. *Sad

Brink, Jun 4, 2016
  9. chok Win User
    thanks but the menu only appear in some folders (the one shown in search mode, which is cool) but not on other folders. And it does not show on any files. Any idea why?

chok, Jul 8, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello chok, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

When you right click or press and hold on a :shortcut of a file", "shortcut of a folder", "file or folder in search results", or a "file or folder in a library" in File Explorer, you should see a Open file location or Open folder location context menu item to open the source location of the file or folder with the file or folder selected.

Brink, Jul 9, 2017
  11. chok Win User
    Thanks for your reply Brink!
    When I do a search for the “test” in a File Explorer windows and right-click the items (either files and folders) retrieved by the search, I get the “open file/folder location” in context menu cf https://i.imgur.com/PPVbpLy.png
    But if I open (double-click on) a folder retrieved by that search (in this case the fodler “test”), and right-click the items displayed, then there is no “open file/folder location” in the context menu. https://i.imgur.com/46mtdi5.png
    The path for this last window is
    search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20MotherFolder&crumb=location:C%3A%5CUsers%5CMe%5CDesktop%5CMot herFolder\test (search for “test” in folder: C:\Users\Me\Desktop\MotherFolder\test)

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It wouldn't be there if that is the file's current location.

If you had searched for a file instead of a folder, and right clicked on one of the search results, you should then see "Open file location" in the context menu.

Brink, Jul 9, 2017
  13. Woznet Win User

Is there anyway to edit the 'Open Location' to make it open the location in a new window instead of the current window? A lot of times i find situations where a 'open location in a new window' button would make things easier.

While I haven't been able to find a way to do this yet, I think something like this shouldn't be too complex or difficult to create if I am unable to find a way to edit existing 'Open Location' config/settings in the registry or a utility.

Woznet, Nov 10, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Woznet, *Smile

You can press Shift + click on "Open Location" in the context menu to have it open in a new window.

Brink, Nov 10, 2017
  15. hotrippr Win User
    Why was this removed from windows? Recently just discovered this option is gone but was there not too long ago.

hotrippr, Feb 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Location context

2. Add or Remove Open in New Tab context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open in New Tab context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open in New Tab context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open in New Tab context menu in Windows 10 Microsoft had Windows Insiders as a controlled study. The concept behind Sets is to make sure that everything related to your task: relevant...
  3. Add or Remove Mount Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Mount Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Mount Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Mount Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information The Mount context menu allows you to mount ISO, IMG, VHD, and VHDX files as a virtual drive. This tutorial will show you how to add or...
  4. Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to URL files in Windows 10 A .url file is an Internet shortcut that opens with your default web browser. The Open with context menu allows you to choose...
  5. Add or Remove Open in New Window context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open in New Window context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open in New Window context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open in New Window context menu in Windows 10 While you browse in File Explorer, you can open each drive, folder, and library in the same window or in its own new window. By...
  6. Open in New Process context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open in New Process context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10: How to: Open in New Process context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open in New Process context menu in Windows 10 By default, all File Explorer windows, including the desktop shell, run in a single explorer.exe process. If one File Explorer...
  7. Open with Notepad context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open with Notepad context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10: How to: Open with Notepad context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Open with Notepad' Context Menu in Windows 10 Adding "Open with Notepad" to the context menu of all files will allow you to quickly open that file with Notepad without setting...
  8. Send to Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Send to Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10: How to: Send to Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Send to Context Menu in Windows 10 The Send to context menu makes it easy for you to quickly send a copy of items (ex: files, folders, libraries) to Bluetooth device, Compressed (zipped)...
  9. Network Location Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Network Location Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10: How to: Network Location Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Change Network Location Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information A network location identifies the type of network that a PC is connected to with a network adapter. By...
  10. Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10 The Open with context menu allows users to choose an app to open a file with. This tutorial will show how to add or remove the Open with context menu...