Windows 10: Open pdf documents with 2 different applications

Discus and support Open pdf documents with 2 different applications in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Is it possible to link different pdf documents to different pdf readers? I would like to be able to open some specific PDF documents with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by enrix, Jun 18, 2017.

1. enrix Win User

Open pdf documents with 2 different applications

Hello,

Is it possible to link different pdf documents to different pdf readers? I would like to be able to open some specific PDF documents with a tool called PDF-viewer and all other PDF documents with acrobat. I know I can right click on the document and select "open with" and choose the tool I want tot open the document with but this is not what I am asking as I would like to be able to double click on the document and get it opened with the tool I have linked the document with.

Many thanks,

:)

enrix, Jun 18, 2017

2. Unable to open PDF or Word docs

Which application do you use to open and view PDF's?

Did you try downloading the PDF or Word document, launch the respective application then open it from there?

You can might also want to repair Microsoft Office and or reinstall your PDF viewer.

You can try opening the PDF in Edge.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 18, 2017
  3. findlay95 Win User
    File Sharing on Homegroup

I have file and folder sharing set up. In "Documents" on computer #1 there is a pdf file and 3 documents. On computer #2 opening the shared "Documents", the pdf does not show, only the 3 documents.

findlay95, Jun 18, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Right click on each specific App and choose the pdf from the jump list.

Edwin, Jun 18, 2017
  5. enrix Win User
    Thanks for you reply Edwin but I am not sure what you mean with jump list. When I right click on the application icon I do not see any jump list. The only method that so far I have used is to create a shortcut of the file and in the properties of the shortcut change the target to include the full path of the application I want to the file to be opened with, but as you can imagine doing this process for hundreds of files is quite time consuming. Is it there a tool that allows me to permanently associate a specific file with a specific reader instead of the default? I have tried to find it on the Internet but no luck yet.

Thx,

enrix, Jun 18, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The jump list is the list of recent documents for a particular app. You'll find it by right-clicking on the app's name in the Start menu. If you have the app pinned to the taskbar you'll also see the jump list by a right-click on that icon.

While you can create shortcuts for each pdf specifying which reader you want to open it with, there's no way to associate some .pdf files with one reader and others with an alternative reader. The default file association is set up on the basis of the file extension, one default app for each extension.

What you could do is give a different extension to a .pdf you want to open with your 'PDF-viewer' (say .pdfv) then associate that with your other viewer. The downside is that you'd have to remember to change the extension back to .pdf if you wanted to send the file to someone else.

7. enrix Win User
    Hi Bree,

Thanks for the suggestion. It works and it is easier than my method.

Rgds,

enrix, Jun 18, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

Open pdf documents with 2 different applications [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Open pdf documents with 2 different applications - Similar Threads - Open pdf documents

2. PDF there was an error opening this document. Access denied.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF there was an error opening this document. Access denied.: In my organisation we get this message pretty often. BUT if we choose to open it in a web-browser instead of Adobe Acrobat Reader, it opens at once. We cant edit it win the web-browser so this is not a long-time-solution for us. Is there something we can do to be able to open...
  3. PDF there was an error opening this document. Access denied.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PDF there was an error opening this document. Access denied.: In my organisation we get this message pretty often. BUT if we choose to open it in a web-browser instead of Adobe Acrobat Reader, it opens at once. We cant edit it win the web-browser so this is not a long-time-solution for us. Is there something we can do to be able to open...
  4. Adobe not opening pdf documents. It was fine 2 days ago!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Adobe not opening pdf documents. It was fine 2 days ago!: I am running Windows 10 on a desktop and use pdf's regularly for work documents.Two days ago I could open them with Adobe which is the default program without any issues. Today Adobe would not open them.Adobe support much better than Microsoft as you can actually get online...
  5. Adobe not opening pdf documents. It was fine 2 days ago!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe not opening pdf documents. It was fine 2 days ago!: I am running Windows 10 on a desktop and use pdf's regularly for work documents.Two days ago I could open them with Adobe which is the default program without any issues. Today Adobe would not open them.Adobe support much better than Microsoft as you can actually get online...
  6. Adobe not opening pdf documents. It was fine 2 days ago!

7. opening pdf documents from web

in Windows 10 Gaming
    opening pdf documents from web: When I click on a pdf from the web, I want it to open in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, not in Edge. I've seen multiple questions on this and the answers given seem obsolete as they refer to setting options that don't seem to exist eg, Edge opens PDF from web even if you have Acrobat...
  8. opening pdf documents from web

opening pdf documents from web: When I click on a pdf from the web, I want it to open in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, not in Edge. I've seen multiple questions on this and the answers given seem obsolete as they refer to setting options that don't seem to exist eg, Edge opens PDF from web even if you have Acrobat...
  9. opening pdf documents from web

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Cannot open .pdf documents

Cannot open .pdf documents: Hello, I've used .pdf for years on my computer, I've been using Windows 10 for since it came out. I see on your site that there were earlier problesm like this when it first came out. I've not had this problem before, but starting last week I can't open .pdf files. I get...