Windows 10: OPEN VPN Google public DNS servers (Ipv4)

Discus and support OPEN VPN Google public DNS servers (Ipv4) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Any better / faster public DNS servers than Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for using with Web browsing on OPENVPN. (IPV4) Using the Google... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Oct 17, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

OPEN VPN Google public DNS servers (Ipv4)

Hi there

Any better / faster public DNS servers than Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for using with Web browsing on OPENVPN. (IPV4)

Using the Google DNS's is OK but I'm sure they are collecting info all the time !!!! -- mind you Google just has SO MUCH I'm sure they can't do too much with it - mega information overload !!!.

I don't really want to use my own ISP's DNS servers - also they will be going to IPV6 any time at all. That's another issue BTW - for later !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 17, 2016
  2. drueter Win User

Win 10: DNS resolution of remote network via VPN connection not working

Changing the metric worked for me, but my situation was a little different:

DNS resolution with my VPN had been working flawlessly with Win10 (first with Preview, then with RTM, always kept up-to-date) using Dell SonicWALL NetExtender (currently version 7.5.223)

Then this morning DNS resolution with my VPN stopped working suddenly. I hadn't explicitly made any changes or installed any updates or software. Perhaps an automatic update broke things.

Though the VPN still connected fine, and though the interface binding order HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\LanmanServer\Linkage\Bind was properly updated on connection of the VPN (i.e. the VPN's interface was added to the top of the list),
    NSLOOKUP would use my LAN's DNS servers rather than the VPN's DNS servers. The VPN client was however showing properly-configured DNS servers.

In my case I was unable to open TCP/IPv4 properties for the "SonicWALL NetExtender" interface: the "Properties" button was displayed as being active, but clicking on it did nothing / did not open a properties dialog.

So instead I went to TCP/IPv4 properties for my Ethernet interface, clicked Advanced, and unchecked "Automatic metric", and assigned an arbitrary metric of 100.

After doing this DNS resolution once again works properly: When the VPN is connected the VPN interface's DNS servers are used. When the VPN is not connected, the Ethernet interface's DNS servers are used.

drueter, Oct 17, 2016
  3. Arcom76 Win User
    Windows 10 - default DNS server on VPN adapter not used primarily when on Ethernet

Just did some more testing and I also have problems with DNS resolving on WiFi connections now when working from another location.

It's also impossible to modify the TCP/IPv4 properties of the VPN adapter in Windows 10 using the GUI to add the DNS servers manually. I just can't open it.

I've read somewhere that editing the rasphone.pbk file to add the DNS servers the VPN connection should use would the trick, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Arcom76, Oct 17, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Opened it blocks bad sites as well 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220

Samuria, Oct 17, 2016
Thema:

1. OPEN VPN Google public DNS servers (Ipv4) - Similar Threads - OPEN VPN Google

2. Why is Googles DNS server my default on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Googles DNS server my default on Windows: When I select automatic DNS it sets the DNS as Googles DNS and because of this I can't access my schools internet, and I can't change it to a different DNS server, what do I do? My schools internet page blocks other DNS adresses and I cant access it to connect to the internet...
  3. Why is Googles DNS server my default on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Googles DNS server my default on Windows: When I select automatic DNS it sets the DNS as Googles DNS and because of this I can't access my schools internet, and I can't change it to a different DNS server, what do I do? My schools internet page blocks other DNS adresses and I cant access it to connect to the internet...
  4. How to setup Google Public DNS on your computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to setup Google Public DNS on your computer: [ATTACH]DNS aka Domain Name System is an essential internet protocol. You can look at […] This article How to setup Google Public DNS on your computer first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Always On VPN ipv4 address DNS Registration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Always On VPN ipv4 address DNS Registration: Hi, We have implemented Always on VPN (User tunnel) and everything is working as expected. Just only one caviate which we have noticed is that VPN client IP4 address will not register in DNS until we manually select these two boxes on the VPN connection adapter settings....
  6. Can't change my DNS settings to Google's or any DNS server

Can't change my DNS settings to Google's or any DNS server: I have tried and tried to change my DNS settings to use Googles DNS (8.8.8.8) and it will not stick. Even downloaded a free program to do it. I use the free program, and it makes Windows send out the side popup, saying the DNS was changed successfully , but it is not changed....
  7. VPN Connection - Cannot open Networking Properties IPv4

VPN Connection - Cannot open Networking Properties IPv4: We use a lot of VPN PPTP Connections. On most we turn off "Use default gateway on remote network". See the image below that shows where this setting is turned off. We cannot open the properties for Internet Protocol Version 4 on VPN connections under Windows 10. This is...
  8. Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak)

Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak): Hello, when I connect to VPN, I receive DNS servers, but windows primarily uses DNS servers configured on my LAN connection (checked with nslookup). This is problem when I am accessing same hostname, which has internal IP in VPN. I tried to change network adapters order...
  9. Use Google's DNS servers or ISP ones

Use Google's DNS servers or ISP ones: Hi there two questions on using alternate DNS servers 1) Are things like Google's DNS servers better to use than ISP ones -- any measuring indications available ? 2) Are your Geo-rights still the same when using alternate DNS servers --I don't want for example to...
  10. Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows: How to: Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows How to Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows A DNS (Domain Name System) server is the service that makes it possible for you to open a web browser, type a domain name and load your favorite...