Windows 10: Open With... action missing

Discus and support Open With... action missing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi my windows 10 missing "open with" function and I use it all the time need it back *Huh For example:I have a photo.jpeg > Right click > Shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by po1725, Jan 25, 2017.

1. po1725 Win User

Open With... action missing

Hi my windows 10 missing "open with" function and I use it all the time need it back *Huh

For example:I have a photo.jpeg > Right click > Shows "Open With..." > and "Open With..." again (when I click does nothing(*))

(*)It was supposed to open a dialog window asking what program I want to use instead of default
    Does anyone know how I can solve this problem? Thanks

:)

po1725, Jan 25, 2017

2. missing actions

I have lost some commands after a windows update?

mikebrown2124, Jan 25, 2017
  3. missing actions

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To better understand the query, please answer the following questions:

1. What exactly do you mean by "lost some commands"?

2. Are you facing any other issues?

3. What is the KB number of the Windows update?

To check the KB number, follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type appwiz.cpl and press enter to open programs and features.

3. Click on "view installed updates" on the left pane.

4. Note down the KB number of the latest update and let us know.

Do get back to us with the response. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jan 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Do you mean Open With is missing altogether?

If not, if you mouse over Open with, you should see a further set of options.. what do you see? A screenshot might help- thanks.

Open With... action missing [​IMG]

And can you confirm this was working recently on this particular PC?

I don't know if this will help at all:
    Open with Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

dalchina, Jan 25, 2017
  5. po1725 Win User
    Thanks for the quick response
    This is what appears and when I click on "Abrir com = Open with" it does nothing

Open With... action missing [​IMG]

po1725, Jan 25, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I'd suggest using the tutorial to
    a. Remove Open with
    b. Add it back

unless you have a restore point you can use.

dalchina, Jan 25, 2017
  7. po1725 Win User
    I already do that doest works still the same
    not have restore points my ssd samsung turn it off

po1725, Jan 25, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, can you think what might have caused this? For example, have you run a registry cleaner? Performed any maintenance activities? Installed new programs?

Please see:
    windows - How to a fix a broken "Open with"? - Super User
    for one cause of your symptom I've found.

I have a Samsung SSD, and System Restore is working.

Beyond this, to repair it you might find a way to import a valid registry key (use those listed in the reg files in the tutorial) - if you were lucky or very skilled and careful- from a working system.

Otherwise an in-place upgrade repair install may fix it. Are you familiar with this?

Please note we strongly and repeatedly recommend the routine use of disk imaging. Creating a set of disk/system/partition images means when sthg goes significantly wrong, you can use the images to revert your PC to a previously working state without technical help. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for your image sets.

dalchina, Jan 25, 2017
  9. po1725 Win User
    Last changes I do this moth was update windows and Nvidea driver
    I´m not sure but seems to apears on last windows update i dont intaled nothing and not running cleaners
    but a fear minutes ago I unistall update but it was the same now

EDIT: solved I instaled windows in virtualbox and compared registry seens program called "PDF-XCHANGE" create dummy locations in openwith fileextensions shell. Thank you for the help *Wink

po1725, Jan 26, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    Berton, Jan 26, 2017
  11. po1725 Win User
    I've tried that before but it's resolved thanks.

po1725, Jan 26, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Open With... action missing - Similar Threads - Open action missing

2. lid opening action

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lid opening action: I do not want my laptop restart when I open the lid. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lid-opening-action/49de6e4a-809b-42ce-9657-d5e8f85ca1a8
  3. Lead Open Action

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lead Open Action: how to add lid open action in windows 8.1 because powercfg -attributes SUB_BUTTONS 99ff10e7-23b1-4c07-a9d1-5c3206d741b4 -ATTRIB_HIDE this command is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lead-open-action/8bd83ee7-0af9-4430-b287-aa0f04d79ac8
  4. Action Centre working but Quick Actions shortcuts are missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Action Centre working but Quick Actions shortcuts are missing: Surface Book running Windows 10. Action Centre working fine but I can see the quick actions shortcuts that were normally visible. Going to System Settings and trying to edit the quick Action settings just opens the Action Centre and is of no help. [ATTACH]...
  5. Action Center is missing...

Action Center is missing...: Hey can you guys help me because i disabled Action Center from Winaero Tweaker and i uninstalled it. I was so dumb to forget that i disabled the Action Center. Please help me...
  6. Lid Open Action

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lid Open Action: Hi! My laptop is running on Windows 10 and it automatically turns on when I'm opening the lid. I've tried setting the lid open action to "Do nothing" but it still turns on when I'm opening the lid. I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance!...
  7. Action center will not open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Action center will not open: After march update have not been able to open action to view notifications. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/action-center-will-not-open/f06ebecd-46f5-457b-aa8e-84851112f6e6
  8. Quick actions missing from action center

Quick actions missing from action center: Quick actions suddenly disappeared from action center. I tried resetting windows as last resort after trying sfc, chkdsk and DISM. But still there are no quick actions in the Action Center. Action center opens normally and all notifications are displayed after windows reset...
  9. action center icon missing

action center icon missing: Missing icon for action center after update Windows 10 August 17, 2018 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_action/action-center-icon-missing/2fd34ca9-7616-4d98-911a-a034cc7bfba7
  10. Action Center will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center will not open: I have the icon for new notifications but when I choose to ''Open Action Center'' nothing happens, also the WIN+A keys do not open it either. Can someone tell me what the matter is? I daily see the icon while hovering over with the mouse indicate that there are 'New...