Windows 10: Open with another app 'photos'

Discus and support Open with another app 'photos' in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When you choose photos and select 'open with' it gives a selection of apps. In the list I see the apps but one that looks odd is labelled %1 and has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Scottyboy99, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Open with another app 'photos'

When you choose photos and select 'open with' it gives a selection of apps. In the list I see the apps but one that looks odd is labelled %1 and has a generic app icon. It's almost as if it's some kind of old or broken program that doesn't exist. All the other programs like paint and photos are in the list as they should be but this is a rogue one. Does anyone else see this?

:)

Scottyboy99, Feb 15, 2016
  2. richlepa Win User

How do I get a photo open opening using (open with) option.

original Title: opening photos directly to photoshop.

on windows 10 when opening a photo using (open with) only paint and photo are available. othert then that is choose another app it doesn't show photoshop on the list how do I get it to open photoshop and not an app

richlepa, Feb 15, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    photos displaying in 3D Paint

• Right click one of your Photos
    • Choose 'Open with' - 'Choose another app'
    • Choose the app you want your photos to open with
    • Make sure 'Always use this app to open .xxx files' is checked and click OK

This should reset the file association for your photos with your chosen app . . .

DaveM121, Feb 15, 2016
  4. Open with another app 'photos'

Sorry but mine opens as they should.
    Cant see that at all.
    How long have you noticed you have had this App Appear
    Have you tried right Click to see if you can delete it
    Looks like it could be Malware
    That is all I can suggest

hTconeM9user, Feb 15, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    If you go to Programs and Features (right click on Start button) do you see any rogue programs there that you can delete?

Also it might be worth going to Settings -> System -> Default Apps and examining the "Set defaults by app" or "Choose default apps by file type" to see if you can find the rogue program and at least try and identify where it came from. CCleaner might also find it and delete it.

philc43, Feb 15, 2016
  6. Hi, yeah mine is set as defaut for the native photos app and it all opens as it should. Not sure how long it's been there.

My suspicion is it's legacy of past problems with the native photos app updating. I have had the app stop working on other user accounts following updates to the app. I had to create new user accounts to get the app working for them again. When things went wrong the photos app was acting like it wasn't installed on their accounts, so I went in and installed it through the store for them but nothing doing, it just failed to launch so I ended up creating the new accounts whereupon it was fine.

It's not doing any harm but I would like to see if it can be removed from the list. It doesn't appear on the traditional open with list in explorer when you right click and select open with in the context menu. It only appears in the new Windows GUI, so when someone installs a new app that can handle jpg or bmp file the next time you open a picture it gives you a choice to keep using the current app. Then it also offers up alternatives due to the new software/app being installed and that's when I see it

7. Thanks, I'll take a look later. I'm sure I have examined the programs and features list before and seen nothing out of ordinary but I'll inspect again closer. The default apps suggestion also sounds a good idea to see if the rogue program shows itself.

8. Open with another app 'photos'

Unfortunately couldn't fix this and probably just have to live with it. There are no odd programs in programs and features and examining the default apps by file option reveals nothing untoward. Malware checks all come up clean.

It's funny because in traditional explorer selecting 'open with' it brings up a normal list. It's only when selecting find more apps (or something like that - I'm not infront of the PC at moment) that it brings the Windows 10 UI list, it shows the logical expected programs but has one at the top with %1 with no icon next it, just the generic icon. I wanted to use snipping tool to screenshot it but the menu doesn't stay open when clicking away from it. It seems like a glitch but I guess it's not noticeable in everyday use and seems to be doing no harm. Just don't like it from an aesthetic point of view. Convinced it relates to some of the past problems I've had with the native photos app updating and then not working for other users necessitating deleting and creation of new user accounts to get them a working photos app.

Scottyboy99, Feb 17, 2016
  9. philc43 Win User
    The new snipping tool has a delay function which, if you select and use setting 5, will give you plenty of time to get the menu back open again so that it can be included in the snip. *Smile

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  10. Thank you, I didn't realise that. I will take a look into that and report back

11. philc43 Win User
    I've just checked my own and for comparison this is what appears when selecting open with for a .jpg photo file:

Open with another app 'photos' [​IMG]

If I select an image file which doesn't have associations set such as a GIMP .xcf file I see an open with... and clicking this gets to the alternative windows apps selection box:

I wonder if this gives you a clue to what your missing app should be?

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  12. Thank you, that is a helpful screenshot. So on my machine, I see much the same as you do in the first screenshot. All normal looking programs offered in the list when selecting 'open with', my default for jpg is the Photos app and it all works just fine. Not that I want to use anything else but if I then click 'choose another app' then I get the same type of screenshot you provided in the second one and it is in here where I see the %1 at the top of the list followed by all the normal programs like Photos, Picasa etc. It only happens for photos, if I do the same for video files, music, documents then that %1 is nowhere to be seen.

13. Open with another app 'photos'

I did some more googling. I think Quicktime (Apple grrrrrrrrrrr) might be the culprit. I have it installed on my machine. Still not sure how to fix it as I don't want to uninstall it. But I guess I'll just live with it

14. I use windows photo viewer which I downloaded when I switched to windows 10

hTconeM9user, Feb 17, 2016
  15. philc43 Win User
    If this is the culprit, go into the settings for set defaults by app (bottom of screen shot):

From this window select the Quicktime app and in the window for Choose defaults for this program you can deselect any image file types which have been ticked such as the .jpg. See if this makes it go away.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
Thema:

Open with another app 'photos'

1. Open with another app 'photos' - Similar Threads - Open another app

2. Photo app will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo app will not open: microsoft photo app will not open, it seem to take a long time for the a;; the pps to open i saw a post to install fall creator update so I did and it opened one time need help...
  3. Photo app will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo app will not open: microsoft photo app will not open, it seem to take a long time for the a;; the pps to open i saw a post to install fall creator update so I did and it opened one time need help...
  4. Photo app will not open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Photo app changes photo on opening it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo app changes photo on opening it.: I am a photographer and only just bought an acer aspire 5 with windows 11. I noticed that every time I open a RAW photo in the photos app it appears the right colours and shades first then changes the entire photo to a darker one like it was being modified. unfortunately I am...
  6. Photo app changes photo on opening it.

Photo app changes photo on opening it.: I am a photographer and only just bought an acer aspire 5 with windows 11. I noticed that every time I open a RAW photo in the photos app it appears the right colours and shades first then changes the entire photo to a darker one like it was being modified. unfortunately I am...
  7. Every time I open a photo then minimize it and then open another photo the first photo pops...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I open a photo then minimize it and then open another photo the first photo pops...: Every time I open a photo then minimize it and then open another photo the first photo pops up smaller in size. I have to maximize and then minimize every time.How do I stop this from happening? Windows 11.* Moved from Community Center...
  8. Every time I open a photo then minimize it and then open another photo the first photo pops...

Every time I open a photo then minimize it and then open another photo the first photo pops...: Every time I open a photo then minimize it and then open another photo the first photo pops up smaller in size. I have to maximize and then minimize every time.How do I stop this from happening? Windows 11.* Moved from Community Center...
  9. Photo microsoft app not openning photos

Photo microsoft app not openning photos: Photo app does not open any photos, but if I select modify/edit the image, then I am able to open it. What could be the solution here.thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-microsoft-app-not-openning-photos/57eeae5d-c54b-452c-8f46-1a232234d956
  10. Photo App not opening...

Photo App not opening...: I have Windows 10 Pro and I just reseted my pc and now I can't open my photos with the Photo App, I click open and nothing happens... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/photo-app-not-opening/98776947-a3b1-41e2-9642-2f88926ccdb2