Windows 10: "Open with" list not custimizable

Discus and support "Open with" list not custimizable in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; [img] I am trying to add the PDF viewer Evince to the "open with" list of PDF files. When I select "Choose another app", I can select Evinceand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Linus, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Linus Win User

"Open with" list not custimizable

"Open with" list not custimizable [​IMG]

I am trying to add the PDF viewer Evince to the "open with" list of PDF files. When I select "Choose another app", I can select Evinceand open the PDF and Evince is also added to the regristry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithList

But as you can see, the actual menu list is obviously not affected by these registry entries.

Am I missing something?

:)

Linus, Feb 1, 2017
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Feb 1, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it "Open with" list not custimizable :(

oh gawd wat to do ? "Open with" list not custimizable :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram "Open with" list not custimizable :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx "Open with" list not custimizable :)

musum, Feb 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

I'd suggest you haven't clicked the 'Always use this app' option.

Here you see the default is Edge and from Open With I'm browsing to Evince.

Here you see I'm about to make Evince the default

And here you see it's been made the default.

I prefer Foxit Reader - having tried Evince, the one thing that would immediately annoy me is that resizing the window and pane does not automatically change the zoom... the text is immediately clearer on the screen with Foxit.

Compare the text clarity in the two here with the same size windows and zoom:

dalchina, Feb 1, 2017
  5. Linus Win User
    Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for not making myself clear:

I do not want evince as "default app"; that I tried and it would work. I want to keep Acrobat as default (double-click) app, and I want evince listed as one of the "Open with" apps. At the moment Evince does not show up in spite of being in the registry and I get Firefox, Word and Edge as shown in my screenshot, which are not even in the registry entry...

Linus, Feb 1, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    See my second screenshot- it's listed there.

And note the lack of text clarity compared to Foxit.

dalchina, Feb 1, 2017
  7. Linus Win User
    Thanks again! And sorry again for still not being clear enough.

By "open with list" I mean the menu that pops up when I hover over "open with":

I thought that this is what I can modify in the registry entry
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithList

What you mean by "open with list" is apparently the list that comes up when you click on "choose another app". There, I see evince.exe as well. But I want it in the menu pop up, such that I am able to open a PDF in evince with two clicks as opposed to four. Also I am wondering how to get rid of e.g. Microsoft Edge in that menu list...

Regarding your suggestion of Foxit: I have used evince to view pdfs while I am working with Latex. I need a viewer that does not lock the file when it is openned but instead reloads it automatically whenever the file is modified. Does Foxit do that?

Linus, Feb 2, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, at a guess, Evince is not registering itself as a pdf handler in the appropriate way for it to be listed as you wish.

Edge is, of course, a registered pdf handler.

Try
    How to Remove Programs from the “Open With” Context Menu in Windows

No, I don't mean "the list that comes up when you click on "choose another app"." = Open with. To be exact, that's one of the dialogues that follows and is part of the Open with function.

- probably best if you try it yourself.

dalchina, Feb 2, 2017
  9. Linus Win User
    OK, then how do I explain what I mean?

In my screenshot in the red circle you see the expanded menu listing:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
    Firefox
    Microsoft Edge
    Word 2016
    ---------------------------------------
    Search the Store
    Choose another app

How do I change this to:

Evince
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
    ---------------------------------------
    Search the Store
    Choose another app

???

Linus, Feb 2, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    You have; I have given you an answer. Sorry it is not clear.

Please
    1. See the link in my previous post and read it carefully.
    How to Remove Programs from the “Open With” Context Menu in Windows
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\

2. Go there as per the article.

3. Try modifying as you wish after backing up.

This is what I see after uninstalling evince... Hmm.

dalchina, Feb 2, 2017
  11. Linus Win User
    I had already tried this, when I started this thread.

When you look at my screenshot, you see the Registry Editor openned in the background and the entry of
    only includes Acrobat and Evince.

So I think I did exactly what is also suggested in the howtogeek link you provided.

But apparently this does not have any effect on the menu.

Linus, Feb 2, 2017
  12. Edwin New Member
    @Linus
    You need to specifically choose an exe:

Edwin, Feb 2, 2017
  13. Linus Win User

Hey guys. Thanks so much for your efforts!

But I already tried everything you proposed.

Please watch this video of what I am doing and observe how the registry entries change but the menu simply does not:

[youtube]3EHd6Y1Vn9s[/youtube]

Linus, Feb 2, 2017
  14. Edwin New Member
    @Linus
    Did you try what I suggested?

Edwin, Feb 2, 2017
  15. Linus Win User
    @Edwin
    Yes, if I select the exe file (again) manually, it hat the same effect as when I select evince.exe at 0:18 in my video.

Not being able to add evince to the list is just half of my problem.
    But it's just as weird as not being able to remove e.g. Microsoft Edge from the list.

Linus, Feb 2, 2017
Thema:

1. "Open with" list not custimizable - Similar Threads - Open list custimizable

2. "Open with" - how to change the list of suggested apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open with" - how to change the list of suggested apps?: See image below. I DON'T want to change the default app for opening. Rather, I'd like a different app sublime text to appear in the list of 3 suggested apps for the option "Open with"....
  3. Opening pictures to download to Ebay listing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening pictures to download to Ebay listing.: My computer is going to my documents instead of pictures when trying to download to Ebay. If I go to pictures and find the item needed, I cannot open to Ebay. I never had a problem before. I am using the same browser. I haven't changed anything on my computer knowingly Help...
  4. Opening pictures to download to Ebay listing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening pictures to download to Ebay listing.: My computer is going to my documents instead of pictures when trying to download to Ebay. If I go to pictures and find the item needed, I cannot open to Ebay. I never had a problem before. I am using the same browser. I haven't changed anything on my computer knowingly Help...
  5. Opening pictures to download to Ebay listing.

6. Change "Open with" list items

Change "Open with" list items: Hi! I have difficulties changing open with menu items. My current open with menu looks like that: My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip\OpenWith List looks like that: Why doesnt windows respect My...
  7. Getting folder to open in "LIST" view automatically !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Getting folder to open in "LIST" view automatically !: I have a shortcut on my desktop to "APPS" ( every app on my computers) so that I do not have to go to the START screen. I want it to always open in the "list" view but it defaults to icons. I have tried opening as administrator, looking in "Files and Folders " for a solution...
  8. App is listed in registry open with list but is not displayed w/rt clk

App is listed in registry open with list but is not displayed w/rt clk: Luminar is a photo editing program. It installed with no problems and opens fine when I open it via the start menu but I want it to open via the "open with" context menu item such that the photo I clicked on is displayed and ready to edit. I have successfully added the...
  9. Wi-fi list won't stay open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wi-fi list won't stay open: Before it gets suggested that there is a problem with my wi-fi settings, network drivers, etc. please realize THIS IS AN INTERFACE ISSUE. I'm sorry for the bluntness, but every search I've done on this, results in 90% of the people assuming this is some kind of problem with...
  10. Jump List Items not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump List Items not Opening: Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get...