Windows 10: Open With Menu

Discus and support Open With Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hope someone might have an idea how to get rid of the "Search the Store" option in the "Open With" context menu as per the pic [img] 31542 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shimshom, Nov 25, 2015.

1. shimshom Win User

Open With Menu

Hope someone might have an idea how to get rid of the "Search the Store" option in the "Open With" context menu as per the pic

Open With Menu [​IMG]

:)

shimshom, Nov 25, 2015

2. Open-with Menu Disappears

I use the open-file-with menu A LOT. Probably several times a day because I have different programs that edit the same file types.

But then open-with menu can take several seconds to appear, sometimes as long as 10 or 20 seconds, and if it shows up and I'm clicking on something on the desktop or in another app, the open-with menu INSTANTLY disappears. If you ever click anywhere but
    DIRECTLY on it, it disappears.

This is one of the most annoying "features" of windows 10. I want to have the open-with menu STAY OPEN until I can actually get around to it. I don't want to have to WAIT on this one computer operation, afraid I'll miss my shot if I click on anything else.

justinlacy, Nov 25, 2015
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Open-with Menu Disappears

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

Once you click on Open with Menu then you have to select the app to open the file or image, after clicking on open with menu if you click on something on desktop it will surely disappear the windows 10 is designed like that. However
    you can give feedback in Windows feedback app. So, that developers will try to implement it in future Windows 10 Builds to enhance user experience.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Arun B J, Nov 25, 2015
  4. cpmusic Win User

Open With Menu

If you have the Windows App Store tile in your start menu and/or the store's icon on your task bar, try deleting them. I kicked them to the curb when I set up 10 because I have no use for that store, and I don't see that "search the store" option.

cpmusic, Nov 26, 2015
  5. shimshom Win User
    Thanks cpmusic for responding but I removed all app packages and associations from a fresh downloaded ISO prior to clean installing TH2 and have none of the entries you mention nor any other stuff I don't need and I'm unable to find any reference to it in the registry so the search for an answer continues

shimshom, Nov 26, 2015
  6. cpmusic Win User
    Sorry about that -- it was just a thought. I have no idea how I managed to get rid of it, but I'm working (for the time being) in an upgrade rather than a clean installation. I started a clean one on a separate drive, but I'm catching it up a little bit at a time to keep from frying my brain, so I can't tell at the moment if it gives that "find an app" option.

cpmusic, Nov 26, 2015
  7. shimshom Win User
    Appreciate the thought and it's really more cosmetic then a problem as well as always good to learn more about Windows

shimshom, Nov 26, 2015
  8. Open With Menu

Removing Windows Store app with PowerShell command didn't remove this option. Also, now when I click "Search the Store" I get this message:

Open With Menu [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure it can be removed via registry.

nxrighthere, Dec 2, 2015
  9. shimshom Win User
    I removed store from the ISO prior to clean installing TH2 using MSMG Toolkit and it also left the entry there and gives me the same thing about needing a new app to open it. There's a tut on the WIn 8 forum (Open With - Remove) but it doesn't do anything in 10 and I've tried the same DWORD with also some variations in a number of locations as well as disabled various reg entries but so far no luck and I hope it's not hard coded into the system

shimshom, Dec 2, 2015
  10. Well I found the entry in "shell32.dll.mui" files.
    Code: String Table\337 : 1049\5382, "&Search the Store"[/quote] I tried to remove it, but no luck. The entry still in the context menu but now it's just a click-able blank string. Registry searching for keyword "shell32.dll,-5382" didn't give any results.

nxrighthere, Dec 10, 2015
  11. davidhk Win User
    Use this tutorial : It was posted for Win8/8.1. I am sure it will work for Win 10 as well.
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...re-remove.html

P.S. After this posting, I'll try to find the equivalent tutorial for Windows 10.

davidhk, Dec 10, 2015
  12. davidhk Win User
    I apologize.
    The tutorial I posted does not work in Windows 10.
    I cannot find the equivalent tutorial from Win 10 Tutorials section.

davidhk, Dec 10, 2015
  13. shimshom Win User

Open With Menu

I tried the above suggestions before actually posting and as per what nxrighthere said it just leaves a blank space which still opens the message and I think it might be connected to shell32.dll or kernel32.dll and when time permits I'll have a go to see if it's possible to modify them but meanwhile the search continues and thanks for taking the time to reply

shimshom, Dec 14, 2015
  14. shimshom Win User
    Hi again and took a while with the holidays and life so when opening shell32.dll.mui with ResHacker I found in String No. 337 the entries
    5382, "&Search the Store" and
    5383, "Opens the Store to search for an app"
    and upon removing them and recompiling and saving the file then replacing the originals in
    C:\Windows\System32\en-US and
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US
    and restarting the text was gone but it left a blank space that when clicked on still produced the popup as below

Open With Menu [​IMG]

Open With Menu [​IMG]

After some more digging I found it in twinui.dll.mui which are in
    C:\Windows\System32
    C:\Windows\System32\en-US
    C:\Windows\SysWOW6 and
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US
    and when removing the entries
    3106, "You’ll need a new app to open this %1!ws!"
    3107, "Get “%1” from the Store"
    3110, "You’ll need a new app to open this %1!ws! file"
    and repeating as above after a restart the popup is no longer there but the blank space remains. I can find a reference to the 3106, 3107, and 3110 entries from the twinui.dll.mui in usercpl.dll file in the UIFILE section but removing these did nothing and not even sure if it’s connected and hope someone might have an idea how to resize that part of the menu. I also searched shel32.dll imageres.dll and others but so far can't find any menu or other items to remove that space

shimshom, Jan 17, 2016
  15. Well, thank you for the information anyway.

nxrighthere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Open With Menu

1. Open With Menu - Similar Threads - Open Menu

2. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...
  3. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...
  4. update broke my pc, running at 100disk and can't open main menue or search for program,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    update broke my pc, running at 100disk and can't open main menue or search for program,...: the problem is the 50 million years to ge to the enter password pagethen the 50 million years to open the **** picutre to get the **** bar you the password inthen the **** 50 milllion years to "load in"then **** milllion years for the all the icons and tool bar to show...
  5. update broke my pc, running at 100disk and can't open main menue or search for program,...

update broke my pc, running at 100disk and can't open main menue or search for program,...: the problem is the 50 million years to ge to the enter password pagethen the 50 million years to open the **** picutre to get the **** bar you the password inthen the **** 50 milllion years to "load in"then **** milllion years for the all the icons and tool bar to show...
  6. update broke my pc, running at 100disk and can't open main menue or search for program,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.: When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second. Also ctrC ctrV combination instead of its normal function started printing screen instead, what setting is changing that? On the top of that it seems to me that general performance of PC...
  8. When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.

When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.: When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second. Also ctrC ctrV combination instead of its normal function started printing screen instead, what setting is changing that? On the top of that it seems to me that general performance of PC...
  9. When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...