Windows 10: open with notepad context menu

Discus and support open with notepad context menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Code: ;notepad [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell] @="\"notepad.exe %1\"" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open] @="Open &With Notepad"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by biatche, Oct 6, 2015.

1. biatche Win User

open with notepad context menu

Code: ;notepad [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell] @="\"notepad.exe %1\"" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open] @="Open &With Notepad" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command] @="notepad.exe %1"[/quote] the above dont seem to give me open with notepad in context menu unlike in win7. any ideas?

:)

biatche, Oct 6, 2015
  2. MarkPahulje MVP, Oct 6, 2015
  3. MarkPahulje MVP, Oct 6, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

This code works fine for me in 10:

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\NotePad] @="&Note Pad" "Icon"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\notepad.exe" "Position"="Top" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\NotePad\command] @="C:\\Windows\\System32\\notepad.exe"[/quote]

BunnyJ, Oct 6, 2015
  5. biatche Win User
    [/quote] I want to see "open with notepad" when i right click an item. your code simply opens notepad when right clicking in on a non-item.

biatche, Oct 6, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, try Open++ if what you are trying to do is to add an item to 'Open With'.
    Open++ Download - Softpedia

(I see Notepad as an option now anyway).

dalchina, Oct 6, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
  8. open with notepad context menu

nigelmercier, Oct 7, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sure, just edit the .reg file with the path of the .exe file you want to use instead.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. open with notepad context menu - Similar Threads - open notepad context

2. Windows terminal is not opening in the explorer context menu; notepad modern app is not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows terminal is not opening in the explorer context menu; notepad modern app is not...: I clicked "Open in Windows Terminal" in the desktop context menu and nothing happens, so as the notepad modern app in run dialog won't launch when I typed "notepad", these problems happened at the same time so I think this is the same problem. I installed millions of apps on...
  3. Windows terminal is not opening in the explorer context menu; notepad modern app is not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows terminal is not opening in the explorer context menu; notepad modern app is not...: I clicked "Open in Windows Terminal" in the desktop context menu and nothing happens, so as the notepad modern app in run dialog won't launch when I typed "notepad", these problems happened at the same time so I think this is the same problem. I installed millions of apps on...
  4. W10 Open with context menu problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 Open with context menu problem: Hi, I recently did a system "fresh start" on my laptop (to keep existing user folders/files and drivers etc), as it had slowed up a bit. This took about 20 minutes, it removed all the 3rd party apps, and the pc is functioning fine, however, I soon found out that there is a...
  5. Windows Context Menu Not Opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Context Menu Not Opening: Hey Anyone, WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON TASKBAR AND SELECT TASKBAR SETTING IT DOES NOT OPEN SETTING ELSE IT FLASHES COMMAND PROMPT LIKE SOMETHING WHICH JUST POPS UP AND CLOSE AND NOTHING HAPPENS... THE SAME PROBLEM ALSO OCCUR WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON DESKTOP AND SELECT DESKTOP...
  6. context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option

context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option: context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/context-menu-is-missing-the-open-option/0d7c340c-17ef-4b71-893c-e6da8327f7e2
  7. context menu 'open' video

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    context menu 'open' video: When i right click on a video and select open my video opens in windows media player. I would like to edit the open value in the registry so it opens in another program. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where this 'open' value would be. I have found 'open...
  8. Open Notepad as Administrator with Context Menu?

Open Notepad as Administrator with Context Menu?: I'm often having to edit batch files in my C: drive or my windows hosts files and forever running into access permissions issues. I've seen a few posts showing how you can make a registry style hack to add a right-click option to open a file as notepad as admin, but none...
  9. "Open with" context menu not enabled or dimmed

in Windows 10 Support
    "Open with" context menu not enabled or dimmed: I can not access the "open with" menu..it's dimmed or not enabled in all the files.. even though i can open the files with any application if i tried the menu at the top in the ribbon i have tried removing it from the registry and add it back again but that didn't fix it...
  10. Open with Notepad context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open with Notepad context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10: How to: Open with Notepad context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Open with Notepad' Context Menu in Windows 10 Adding "Open with Notepad" to the context menu of all files will allow you to quickly open that file with Notepad without setting...