Windows 10: Opened documents for Notepad reference 2 icons in Taskbar

Discus and support Opened documents for Notepad reference 2 icons in Taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been noticing that whenever I open up existing TXT documents, I get them all referencing the same Notepad icon in the Taskbar; this is the way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swampwiz, May 24, 2016.

1. swampwiz Win User

Opened documents for Notepad reference 2 icons in Taskbar

I have been noticing that whenever I open up existing TXT documents, I get them all referencing the same Notepad icon in the Taskbar; this is the way it is supposed to work. However, if I open up the Notepad application from scratch to get a new document, an additional Notepad icon in the Taskbar is generated, to which that new document reference. *Mad Additional new documents also reference this additional icon, so at most I only 2 icons.

This is unacceptable as real estate on the Taskbar is scarce. I would like for all Notepad documents to reference the same, solitary Notepad icon. How do I fix this?

All documents seem to be running Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.318)

:)

swampwiz, May 24, 2016

2. Can't right-click notepad icon in taskbar

I opened Notepad with Run dialog, but still can't right-click the notepad icon on Taskbar.

It doesn't work for me Opened documents for Notepad reference 2 icons in Taskbar :(

Ryan Luong, May 24, 2016
  3. how do you add the notepad desktop app to the taskbar

Open Notepad.

Right Click the Notepad icon on the Taskbar and select Pin to Taskbar.

Sumit Dhiman2, May 24, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

I can't reproduce that behaviour, I only ever have one icon. The only way I can think that this is happening is if you have a default app setting for TXT documents which is different to Notepad but has the same icon. In this way it looks the same but is actually different. You can check your default app settings with the "Choose default apps by file type" option (find via the search box if you do not know where it is).

philc43, May 24, 2016
  5. swampwiz Win User
    OK, I unpinned the Notepad tile from the Start Menu, and the repinned it, and it works properly now.

swampwiz, May 24, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Right Click on the Taskbar and choose Properties. Been that way for a while.

Most of us are using Start10 or Classic Shell. They offer extra options.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
Thema:

1. Opened documents for Notepad reference 2 icons in Taskbar - Similar Threads - Opened documents Notepad

2. Notepad not opening ,but appears on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad not opening ,but appears on Taskbar: I have setup a hyper v lab where in i built a windows 10 VM. I have a peculiar issue here. When i try to open notepad, it sits in the taskbar but doesnot maximise. but works normally when i run as a different user. Any suggestions are appreciated...
  3. Notepad not opening ,but appears on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad not opening ,but appears on Taskbar: I have setup a hyper v lab where in i built a windows 10 VM. I have a peculiar issue here. When i try to open notepad, it sits in the taskbar but doesnot maximise. but works normally when i run as a different user. Any suggestions are appreciated...
  4. Notepad not opening ,but appears on Taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. All notepad documents open as blank

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All notepad documents open as blank: If I try to open any saved note, written with Notepad, windows simply opens a new blank Notepad file instead. I have to drag and drop my saved note to the Notepad app to actually open and edit it. Already tried DISM -RestoreHealth, with no file corruptions found...
  6. Text Documents and Notepads Won't Open?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Text Documents and Notepads Won't Open?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/chqnging [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jub4yq/text_documents_and_notepads_wont_open/
  7. All my .exe Icon are Notepad Icons and they open in Notepad!

All my .exe Icon are Notepad Icons and they open in Notepad!: Help me! All my exe files are opening in notepad there's a photo. https://prnt.sc/qf2ukf https://prnt.sc/qf2usd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-exe-icon-are-notepad-icons-and-they-open-in/43bc3b50-c84c-4394-9524-83d016bee18e"
  8. Saved Notepad document opening blank

Saved Notepad document opening blank: My boyfriend and I just moved into a new apartment, and we won’t have internet until tomorrow. My boyfriend writes scripts for videos he makes using online programs generally, but as we’re without internet for the time being, he’s been using Notepad instead. In the past two...
  9. Notepad document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad document: Help Help Help My daughters notepad document has turned into the below. I desperately need to retrieve, any help would be much appreciated! ###################################################################################...
  10. Documentation reference

in Windows 10 Support
    Documentation reference: I built a new PC for my Father in-law He had Windows 7 on his old PC. I'm writing document for him on how to use Windows 10 and all the customizations I made. In the document I referenced this website and placed the logo from the upper left corner in the document. Of...