Windows 10: Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file

Discus and support Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Long story short, I have to create a small website for a class I am in. I'm not new to HTML, so this is easy peasy for me, but part of the focus is on... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Ram4x4, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Ram4x4 Win User

Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file

Long story short, I have to create a small website for a class I am in. I'm not new to HTML, so this is easy peasy for me, but part of the focus is on usability, meaning I have to make sure the site functions across multiple resolutions and mobile devices. No problem, CSS to the rescue.

I also have to make sure the site functions across as many browsers as I can. Again, no problem until the other day...

Our sites are not published, we just zip up our files and submit them for grading...anyway, to test the site, of course we just open the index.html page from the hard drive in whichever browser and test it out.

So, about 2 days ago, I started having a problem with MS Edge. For some unknown reason, when I edit one of the pages of the site, the navigation link to that page will not work! Works perfectly fine in all the other browsers, but not Edge. Today, I created a new graphic for the sitemap page (I edited the old one) and saved the new file replacing the old one. Now, when I go to the sitemap page link in Edge, it will not display the new graphic! Nothing has been changed in the file names or anything. This is driving me nuts!

I've tried clearing my browser cache, rebooting, scanning for malware, moving the site's files to a different directory, nothing helps. If I edit any part of any of the html files, Edge just simply will not open them from the nav links. I can click directly on the specific html file itself and it will open, but it seems editing a file breaks the navigation link to the page even though the actual code for the link hasn't changed. Bizarre.

Also, as noted, if I open a png or jpg, edit the file, and even though I just save the file (no name change or anything), now that graphic will not display in Edge when I go to that page.

:)

Ram4x4, Jul 9, 2017
  2. TomD2747 Win User

Windows 10 MS Edge FTP Problem

I have an HTML file hosted on a FTP site. After entering the FTP url for the HTML file MS Edge fails to access the FTP site. Using this same exact process with all other browsers opens the file with no problems. What am I doing wrong with MS Edge??

Please advise.

TomD2747, Jul 9, 2017
  3. HTML files on hard drive

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the file is available. I can edit it in note pad or I can drag it into Google Chrome and all works fine. It is just MS Edge it doesn't work in. To be fair it doesn't work in FireFox either.

On your computer:-

1) Create a folder called Website e.g. d:\Wedsite\

2) Create an html file in here called products.html.

3) Run the following at the dos prompt (or in a bat file)

subst Z: D:\WebSite

4) In explorer open up Z:\website\ and double click products.html. MS Edge comes up with the error.

Yes double clicking the file in d:\Website\ opens OK in MS Edge.

Thanks,

Daniel.

DanielDavighi, Jul 9, 2017
Thema:

Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file

1. Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file - Similar Threads - Opening local HTML

2. convert html file to jpeg file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    convert html file to jpeg file?: I have a document that I need to send. It needs to be sent as a jpeg. How do I convert it to be accepted by the receiver? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-html-file-to-jpeg-file/21f70c0f-026c-4afd-ace3-d960158f6eda"
  3. Permission to open and edit files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permission to open and edit files: I am the only user of my home laptop. I log in as Administrator and want to open files I set up as User but am denied permission. How can I gain permission to view and edit them as Administrator?...
  4. Edit html with Spartan

in Browsers and Email
    Edit html with Spartan: I just started using Spartan. I tried to edit one of my html files as I usually do by right clicking on a space then choose "View Source" which will open it up. But with Spartan if I right click I don't have the View Source option. Does anyone know how to do it? 6119
  5. Timeout by Microsoft Edge 25.10586.0.0 reports with local HTML files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Timeout by Microsoft Edge 25.10586.0.0 reports with local HTML files: Microsoft Edge 25.10586.0.0 reported timeout and failed to read local HTML files after the latest Windows update January 2016. All other browsers such as Safari, Chrome, Opera succeed to to read those HTML files from local hard disks, as did the previous MS Edge version....
  6. HTML to PDF File Converter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HTML to PDF File Converter: What's a good (preferably free) HTML to PDF file converter? As always, the community input is appreciated. 100337
  7. Double click doesn't open htm/html files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double click doesn't open htm/html files: Hi, in my new Hp EliteBook 850 G4, I've a very strange issue. I can't try a restore, since company gave me it after configurating it and updating to the last version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Windows Update, and the issue was from the beginning. I've Microsoft Edge,...
  8. Open local file at startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Open local file at startup: Is there any way I can have a local (ODS) file open when I turn on my laptop? Thanks in advance. 86522
  9. Local files and MS Edge

in Windows 10 Support
    Local files and MS Edge: Can anyone tell me how to open a local html file using MS Edge, please? Thanks in advance. 85925
  10. Import or Export Favorites as HTML File in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import or Export Favorites as HTML File in Microsoft Edge: This tutorial has been updated for the built-in import/export favorites feature in Microsoft Edge. *Smile 38112