Windows 10: Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file

Discus and support Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Long story short, I have to create a small website for a class I am in. I'm not new to HTML, so this is easy peasy for me, but part of the focus is on... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Ram4x4, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Ram4x4 Win User

Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file

Long story short, I have to create a small website for a class I am in. I'm not new to HTML, so this is easy peasy for me, but part of the focus is on usability, meaning I have to make sure the site functions across multiple resolutions and mobile devices. No problem, CSS to the rescue.

I also have to make sure the site functions across as many browsers as I can. Again, no problem until the other day...

Our sites are not published, we just zip up our files and submit them for grading...anyway, to test the site, of course we just open the index.html page from the hard drive in whichever browser and test it out.

So, about 2 days ago, I started having a problem with MS Edge. For some unknown reason, when I edit one of the pages of the site, the navigation link to that page will not work! Works perfectly fine in all the other browsers, but not Edge. Today, I created a new graphic for the sitemap page (I edited the old one) and saved the new file replacing the old one. Now, when I go to the sitemap page link in Edge, it will not display the new graphic! Nothing has been changed in the file names or anything. This is driving me nuts!

I've tried clearing my browser cache, rebooting, scanning for malware, moving the site's files to a different directory, nothing helps. If I edit any part of any of the html files, Edge just simply will not open them from the nav links. I can click directly on the specific html file itself and it will open, but it seems editing a file breaks the navigation link to the page even though the actual code for the link hasn't changed. Bizarre.

Also, as noted, if I open a png or jpg, edit the file, and even though I just save the file (no name change or anything), now that graphic will not display in Edge when I go to that page.

:)

Ram4x4, Jul 9, 2017
  2. TomD2747 Win User

Windows 10 MS Edge FTP Problem

I have an HTML file hosted on a FTP site. After entering the FTP url for the HTML file MS Edge fails to access the FTP site. Using this same exact process with all other browsers opens the file with no problems. What am I doing wrong with MS Edge??

Please advise.

TomD2747, Jul 9, 2017
  3. HTML files on hard drive

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the file is available. I can edit it in note pad or I can drag it into Google Chrome and all works fine. It is just MS Edge it doesn't work in. To be fair it doesn't work in FireFox either.

On your computer:-

1) Create a folder called Website e.g. d:\Wedsite\

2) Create an html file in here called products.html.

3) Run the following at the dos prompt (or in a bat file)

subst Z: D:\WebSite

4) In explorer open up Z:\website\ and double click products.html. MS Edge comes up with the error.

Yes double clicking the file in d:\Website\ opens OK in MS Edge.

Thanks,

Daniel.

DanielDavighi, Jul 9, 2017
Thema:

Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file

1. Opening local HTML files in MS Edge fails after editing a file - Similar Threads - Opening local HTML

2. HTML files are not opening in Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HTML files are not opening in Chrome: Chrome is set as a default browser, but HTML files are not opening in Chrome but they do get opened in edge and mozilla?Issue replicated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/html-files-are-not-opening-in-chrome/20adb595-28e2-4147-a68e-b8a1f813f30a
  3. HTML files are not opening in Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HTML files are not opening in Chrome: Chrome is set as a default browser, but HTML files are not opening in Chrome but they do get opened in edge and mozilla?Issue replicated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/html-files-are-not-opening-in-chrome/20adb595-28e2-4147-a68e-b8a1f813f30a
  4. Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge: How can I spot Adobe *.pdf files from opening in MS Edge? I have Adobe Acrobat installed but the default keeps changing back to MS Edge. Can this be fixed? Thanks....
  5. A rar file changes into a Microsoft Edge Html document after downloading. And the html...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A rar file changes into a Microsoft Edge Html document after downloading. And the html...: Hello, This is Ashwin. I have a desktop with Windows 10. When i download a rar file from the website, it automatically changes into a Microsoft HTML document when the download finishes and I also can't extract the file using WinRar and BreeZip. Please help with my question....
  6. How to open a .html file in Edge in PowerShell script"

How to open a .html file in Edge in PowerShell script": What do I have to do to open a local .html file in MS Edge? This works from command line: & "C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" C:\Users\bernie\Desktop\combined_homework.html I've tried all of the methods below, and none work. I thought this...
  7. Local .html files opening with file in Chrome/Edge

Local .html files opening with file in Chrome/Edge: By default, when you right-click on an .html file in Windows Explorer, it opens with the header "file://" instead of "html://". Is there a way to change this default behavior in Windows, or is this something that is native to Edge/Chrome that is causing the issue?...
  8. Cannot open HTML files

Cannot open HTML files: I am struggling to suddenly not be able to open my HTML files that edit on Expression Web 4. I am using windows 10 ver 1903 I get the error message Server Error:The server extensions were unable to access the file E:\New Volume\4_para_sqn_re\lincolnshire_page1.htm Please...
  9. Timeout by Microsoft Edge 25.10586.0.0 reports with local HTML files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Timeout by Microsoft Edge 25.10586.0.0 reports with local HTML files: Microsoft Edge 25.10586.0.0 reported timeout and failed to read local HTML files after the latest Windows update January 2016. All other browsers such as Safari, Chrome, Opera succeed to to read those HTML files from local hard disks, as did the previous MS Edge version....
  10. Local files and MS Edge

in Windows 10 Support
    Local files and MS Edge: Can anyone tell me how to open a local html file using MS Edge, please? Thanks in advance. 85925