Windows 10: Opening MS Office with search bar vs. start menu icon tiles

Discus and support Opening MS Office with search bar vs. start menu icon tiles in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I purchased an older version of MS Office 2010 that had MS Access online, downloaded and installed it. Everything is working perfectly. There is... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Rick5150, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Rick5150 Win User

Opening MS Office with search bar vs. start menu icon tiles

I purchased an older version of MS Office 2010 that had MS Access online, downloaded and installed it.

Everything is working perfectly. There is one issue that is driving me nuts though: If I go to the start menu and choose the MS Word 2010 app from there, it opens fine; if I type in "Word" from the search bar, Windows defaults to Word 2016 which is not installed and it displays "Let's Get Started" and opens in compatibility mode.

I assume I can delete the Word 2016 app but do not want to take a chance on screwing up the currently working version of Word 2010. It is much faster for me to type Word and press enter, so I want this option to open the MS suite of applications rather than opening it from the start menu.

:)

Rick5150, Oct 13, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

I want to put an icon on my desktop for Word

Icons cannot be dragged from the Start Menu, only Tiles . . .

On your Start Menu, scroll down the alphabetical list to find the MS Office folder, expand that

Right click Word and choose File Location

When File Explorer Opens, right click Word and choose Create Shortcut (Send to Desktop)

DaveM121, Oct 13, 2017
  3. GeoffC136 Win User
    Windows 10 Installation - Icons Will Not Display Properly

Dear All

I have sorted this problem in a slow but doable way. The removal of the IconCache (which I have done twice) has made no difference to the problem.

1. To sort the icons for MS Office and CorelDraw I have found the executable files. (Somewhat strangely the MS Office 2010 executables are in the Office14 folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14).

2. I have then created shortcuts for these (which have to be on the Desktop).

3. I have cut them from the Desktop to the appropriate Start Menu folder (C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office).

4. In the start menu folder I have opened the Properties for each shortcut and then changed the icon. (For some reason the Change Icon process has had to be gone through twice for the change to take effect).

5. The icons now appear in the Start Menu tiles with the correct coloured icons!

This is a messy and time consuming fix but it works.

Geoff

GeoffC136, Oct 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Uninstall the Get Office app. It will not affect your currently installed MS Office.

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2017
  5. Rick5150 Win User
    I had already done that, but there are individual apps for Word 2016 and Excel 2016. When I try to delete these apps, Windows directs me to the control panel "uninstall or change a program". The individual options are not there - just Microsoft Home and Student 2016. I expect that this is what I need to uninstall, but I am afraid there may be shared files between the 2010 and 2016 apps that will cause issues if I delete the 2016 application.

Rick5150, Oct 13, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You should be OK to uninstall them. But if it does present a problem, then just reinstall Office 2010. There might even be a repair option in the Office 2010 installer.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Opening MS Office with search bar vs. start menu icon tiles - Similar Threads - Opening Office search

2. My office icons in Start Menu search are blank

in Windows 10 Customization
    My office icons in Start Menu search are blank: I recently had to rebuild my windows profile and I repair Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise Office 365 and then uninstalled and reinstalled it. When I look at my start menu, everything looks fine: [ATTACH] But when I search the start menu, the Office icons are blank...
  3. Windows start menu not opening and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu not opening and search bar not working: So today my computer decided it was a great idea to not let me open the start menu at all. The search bar is also not working, I type something in and go to click on the app i want to run and it just refuses to open the app, as if i didn't click at all. When I tried to go...
  4. Settings App/Start Menu/Battery icon/search bar won't open

Settings App/Start Menu/Battery icon/search bar won't open: As stated in the title, they don't open when I try to click on them. I've already tried to follow all the tutorials, but they're from a long time ago, and I've scanned for malware using malwarebytes but it still doesn't work. Any advice?...
  5. Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?

Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?: I have 3 shortcuts to websites... specifically links to Zoom conferences. I have pinned these shortcuts to the start menu as small tiles. I made 3 icons, one for each, in Illustrator, saved as PNG, then ran them through Gimp to save as Icons. Gimp has changed a LOT since I...
  6. Office icons and tiles

Office icons and tiles: I just installed Windows 10. In the start menu, by default, there are live tiles for office apps like Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and some more. When you click some of these, they open up the online Office in a tab in Edge, because clearly, they aren't installed. The thing is,...
  7. Start Menu tiles will not open

Start Menu tiles will not open: When I touch any tile the screen clears and returns to the start screen again. Have restarted tablet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-tiles-will-not-open/882020d5-0fd3-419f-aab8-1a3e9c1ba59e
  8. No Search Bar in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Search Bar in Start Menu: Hello, My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot. Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list...
  9. Start Menu Search Bar

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Bar: Prior versions of windows allowed me to hit the handy-dandy start-menu button, type a document name in the search bar, and recent documents I pulled up with the search words would show up - the charm of that feature was that I could close a document or spreadsheet confident...
  10. Start Menu Search Bar

Start Menu Search Bar: [ATTACH] I messed up something and now when ever i type something in the start menu search bar, i see a preview pane like something (containing open,open file location,pin to start,pin to taskbar)beside the search results.I don't want my search bar like this, i want my...