Windows 10: Opening up mail link in Default browser

Discus and support Opening up mail link in Default browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello I run a website that includes a way to send email to members by clicking on an email link. When one of my clients clicks on an email link... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by paularenson, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Opening up mail link in Default browser

Hello

I run a website that includes a way to send email to members by clicking on an email link.

When one of my clients clicks on an email link on a web site that is supposed to open a compose message in her email program, nothing happens,

This is the page...
    Contact us | Gender Awareness in Language Education

if you want to test please use Web person
    only.

Her email is actually gmail (web mail). She said she can do it on an older machine that was upgraded to Windows 10 from an earlier version, but not on this machine.

She was told it has to do with default settings. But since she can't get them to work, the workaround is to open up an email application (software.) But she would really like to have the default gmail open if possible.

She writes, "There are many Googlecentric explanations online about how to set Chrome as your default browser and Gmail as your default mail program on Windows 10, but they all break down at one crucial step. They say there should be an advanced setting in Chrome for Handlers to specify the mail program, but all I see is the toggle to choose whether or not to allow sites to ask to become default handlers, even though the screenshots in the Google help show there should be a button below that toggle saying Manage Handlers that opens a dropdown menu that lets you set mail to Gmail."

I am not a Windows person myself and so it is hard to troubleshoot. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

:)

paularenson, Feb 25, 2018
  2. Ralf_G Win User

If I set anything but Edge to be the default browser Windows mail will not open web page links

I'm using Internet Explorer as the default browser and Thunderbird as my email program. Web links in emails open in IE when I click them. I momentarily switched to using Firefox as the default browser, no restart, and web links began opening in Firefox instead
    of IE.

I temporarily ran the Windows Mail app with IE as my default browser and links again opened in IE. When I set Firefox as the default browser the web links opened in Firefox.

Don't know why yours is behaving the way it does. Why not try enabling Internet Explorer (Control Panel, Programs and Features- Turn Windows Features on or off. See if it makes a difference.

Ralf_G, Feb 25, 2018
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Unable to view Outlook 2016 email in browser

You cannot open Office Outlook email in a browser. You must use Office's Outlook program to open your email. Browsers cannot open mht files. Note that Win 10 Outlook.com in the Mail App is not related to Office's Outlook. Don't use the Mail App for your
    business mail. It is for the home user and webmail.

To open links in any email, you must choose a default browser. Search for Default Apps and choose a browser.

mlg63, Feb 25, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Opening up mail link in Default browser

Welcome to TenForums @paularenson

It is possible to use a browser webmail account as the default for a mailto link when clicked on within the browser. Within the browser itself you need to configure the way the browser handles a mailto link. This varies from browser to browser, so you need to check the support for the particular browser.

Chrome apparently requires an addon to handle mailto
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...peopajdf?hl=en

Firefox can be configured in its settings page: aboutOpening up mail link in Default browser :preferences
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...en-email-links

Edge and IE use the Windows default mail app as set for the MAILTO protocol in...

Opening up mail link in Default browser [​IMG]

You'll notice I have set Firefox as my default mailto handler. This is actually tricky to do as Firefox doesn't tell Windows that it has mailto capabilities. It requires some registry editing to make it possible. I understand that Chrome does register itself as being a mailto handler.

5. Thank you very much, Bree, and sorry for the delay in responding. Very tricky some of this stuff. I will covey your message to her.

paul

paularenson, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Opening up mail link in Default browser

1. Opening up mail link in Default browser - Similar Threads - Opening mail link

2. Mail App doesn't recognize a portable browser to open links?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mail App doesn't recognize a portable browser to open links?: I recenlty have placed a few apps on this older Win 10 pc as portable programs, on a SSD Card. Quicker boot up and quicker performance of those apps. Now when I go to open links in Windows Mail app it can't open them. Is this not allowable? Is there a work around or does a...
  3. Mail App doesn't recognize a portable browser to open links?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail App doesn't recognize a portable browser to open links?: I recenlty have placed a few apps on this older Win 10 pc as portable programs, on a SSD Card. Quicker boot up and quicker performance of those apps. Now when I go to open links in Windows Mail app it can't open them. Is this not allowable? Is there a work around or does a...
  4. Stop edge from opening links and use default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop edge from opening links and use default browser: What is MS's problem with respecting my wishes to use a browser other than Edge to open links. Since this last update Edge is opening more for other links than usually. It was annoying before and now it is unbearable. I have my preferences, and Microsoft is not one of them in...
  5. Stop edge from opening links and use default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop edge from opening links and use default browser: What is MS's problem with respecting my wishes to use a browser other than Edge to open links. Since this last update Edge is opening more for other links than usually. It was annoying before and now it is unbearable. I have my preferences, and Microsoft is not one of them in...
  6. Stop edge from opening links and use default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser: Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser. I have always had them open in edge when I clicked on them, now they say Unable to Open [html], I checked that edge is still my default browser....
  8. Links don't open in default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Links don't open in default browser: I have Firefox set as my default browser, but clicking on links opens Chrome instead of Firefox. Firefox is set as the default in Windows 10 and shows as the default in both Firefox and Chrome....
  9. How to change default browser when I click on a link in Windows mail?

in Browsers and Email
    How to change default browser when I click on a link in Windows mail?: On my start menu there is an app called mail which is nice because I can have all my email in one place. If somebody sends me an email with a link in it and I click on that link it sends me to Microsoft Edge. My question is how do I change the default browser to something...
  10. Making FFox the browser for opening links in Mail?

in Browsers and Email
    Making FFox the browser for opening links in Mail?: Is it possible to make it so that when you click on a link in Mail it is opened in Firefox rather than Edge? 80795

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mail version 17.8241.41275.0 open links in chrome