Windows 10: OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work

Discus and support OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, i still didn't found solution for this. I have some Linux servers with latest versions of OpenVPN and some OpenVPN clients. OpenVPN works just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by swec, Aug 29, 2018.

1. swec Win User

OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work

Hello, i still didn't found solution for this.

I have some Linux servers with latest versions of OpenVPN and some OpenVPN clients. OpenVPN works just fine, access from Linux or Windows 7 clients too. There is no problem. I am very sure Samba, firewall and OpenVPN server are configured correctly.

Problem is with Windows 10 and i am not sure when it started, maybe after some last update. I don't know.

Problem is - the network through virtual network adapter "TAP-Windows Adapter V9" is always identified as public and there is no user accessible option how i can configure it as private network.

I found command for powershell in this thread (Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials), but it doesn't help permanently and it doesn't enable access to SMB share anyway. I can even reconfigure all unknown networks in secpol.msc as private, which i believe is very insecure behavior, but for testing i tried it. It didn't help either.

I have for testing two notebooks and one virtual installation (QEMU). On one notebook access to Samba share works just fine, on virtual and second notebook it does't. It is same OpenVPN, same key for notebooks (why not if they are not connected at a same time) and different key for virtual.

I am using OpenVPN GUI, which is running as W10 service under system priviledges. I have set DNS and route by push parameters in OpenVPN config on server, i have propper server key verification. There is no warning in OpenVPN log.

When access to the SMB share doesn't work, W10 displays error message "0x80004005" which i beleive means it is blocked by local W10 firewall, because "Network discovery" is disabled for public networks.

In one case i tried explicitly allow all trafic from and to the IPv4 address of my server in VPN for all protocols. It didn't help either.

On virtual is no additional firewall/antivirus. On one of notebooks, which does'n work, is installed AVG, but without firewall module.

Question is
    - how i can override this behavior?
    - how i can tell W10, my OpenVPN network is safe and private?
    - how i can do more diagnostics? Wireshark? What i should investigate?

:)

2. caseym54 Win User

SMB to shares on USB storage does not work

I have several usb-connected drives and several SATA drives on a Win7Pro-64 system just upgraded to Win10. The only account on the machine is a local administrator account. On each drive I have a shared folder.

Where before I could connect via SMB/Samba from non-Windows networked devices using the local account credentials, I can now only access the shares on SATA drives. Any share on a USB drive is inaccessible to, say, ES File Explorer or Astro on a Android Tablet (although the share name can be read).

I can still access all shares from another Windows 10 machine. All devices have the proper Workgroup.

Clearly there is some SMB policy change in Windows 10. I've seen one fix for network drives but it doesn't seem to apply here (and also doesn;t work). Also not working is anonymous login to shares with with Everyone access, which also used to work.

caseym54, Aug 29, 2018
  3. Kari Win User
    Accessing public and private shares from Windows

I might have misunderstood your point, but at least I have no issues accessing both private and public folders / shares on my NAS. Of the NAS shares I always map (see screenshot), I access share with one set of credentials, Public requires no credentials because, as the name says, it's meant to be public. Share OD, my local backup for everything I store in OneDrive is again accessed with same credentials than :

OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work [​IMG]

When mapping a network share, you can use different credentials for each share simply by selecting this option:

OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work [​IMG]

The above option is not required to access public shares on NAS.

4. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

Thema:

1. OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work - Similar Threads - OpenVPN public network

2. Network share doesn't work as intended

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network share doesn't work as intended: On my main PC, when I try to connect to my other pc I'll call it "SERVER" here through the network tab in file explorer I get the error "Windows cannot access \\SERVER" with the description of "You do not have permission to access \\SERVER".I know network sharing is working...
  3. Network share doesn't work as intended

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network share doesn't work as intended: On my main PC, when I try to connect to my other pc I'll call it "SERVER" here through the network tab in file explorer I get the error "Windows cannot access \\SERVER" with the description of "You do not have permission to access \\SERVER".I know network sharing is working...
  4. SMB share inaccessible from local network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMB share inaccessible from local network: I have an SMB share just shared through the Properties of the folder on Windows 11. Recently I have been unable to access the share from both linux and Windows 10. I have verified Windows Defender has the rules enabled for NetBIOS and SMB. All devices are on the same subnet...
  5. Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials: This is a very strange annoyance. Whenever I initially try to access the public folder on a networked PC named 'WiRNS' from any other PC, I'm presented with this 'Network Credentials' prompt: [img] Note that it already says in red, "The user name or password is incorrect"...
  6. Local network / smb shares and notifications

Local network / smb shares and notifications: Why is the issue with local share security warnings still a problem? I shouldnot have to click OK in this box every time I touch a file in thesame shared directory. Why, ten years later, is there stillno simple, straightforward way to turn this notification off? without...
  7. How to access shared drives when VPN'd into network? OpenVPN

How to access shared drives when VPN'd into network? OpenVPN: Hi all, I've recently purchased a Linksys WRT-3200 ACM router and have turned on the pre-configured OpenVPN Server on the Linksys Smart-WiFi firmware. I have create a user profile and certificate, which I then shared with a client machine (Windows 10) and successfully...
  8. Unable to access SMB file sharing

Unable to access SMB file sharing: Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder. Please advise Thanks...
  9. Unable to access shared files over OpenVPN

Unable to access shared files over OpenVPN: I have an OpenVPN set up on my router and I'm able to connect to it to access my router, switch, NAS, etc via browser on my phone. I'm also able to access shared files from my Windows 10 computer on my phone using a file manager app (Solid Explorer). However, I'm not able to...
  10. Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network'

Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network': I use a MacBook Pro purchased about a year ago and use bootcamp to have both Mac and Windows on my computer. I have Windows on my computer to use QuickBooks for work. I have been doing this for over a year now. I am connected to our Quickbooks business information through a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. OpenVPN Public-Private

2. windows 10 openvpn public network

3. openvpn access smb shares

4. smb windows accès openvpn,
  5. openvpn is public,
  6. network share doesnt work in vpn