Windows 10: Opera browser any good since being bought out by Qihoo 360

Discus and support Opera browser any good since being bought out by Qihoo 360 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi is the browser any good i see it has a number of perks that sound pretty good to me , but i was just reading it was bought out by a chinese... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Tonyb, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Tonyb Win User

Opera browser any good since being bought out by Qihoo 360

Hi is the browser any good i see it has a number of perks that sound pretty good to me , but i was just reading it was bought out by a chinese consortium, so was wondering can it be trusted anymore ? anyhow let me know if it's still worth giving a try or if it's best to avoid , edit rephrased it's actually owned by Qihoo 360 is China's' top internet and mobile security firm. whom i have read has an unsavory reputation of foul play, fraud and dirty tricks.

:)

Tonyb, Jan 11, 2017
  2. webdire Win User

Nokia 5233 browser crash

Hi everyone. I just bought Nokia 5233 . But after opening 1 or 2 websites the browser closes automatically without any warning or error details. The same hapenned with the opera mobile 10 browser. Also, I'm not being able to open google keyword tool on
    my mobile both s60 browser and opera mobile. Any help from experienced members. Thanks

webdire, Jan 11, 2017
  3. dragun50 Win User
    What I don't like about Microsoft Edge

Edge is a far better browser the Firefox, Chrome or Opera as far as I am concerned. There were just two small thing I didn't care for.

That being said, I have since started to really use it and I find it pretty good now. It just took a while.

I really have no use for any browser that have Goggle as the default search engine. I can never figure out why they are not forced to offer you the choice up front like Microsoft was forced to do.

dragun50, Jan 11, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Just out of curiosity, how is the owner's nationality relevant? Most of iPhones are made in China, American IBM sold its PC business to Chinese Lenovo over 10 years ago and people, including you in USA are still buying Lenovo computers.

Russian Kaspersky Lab's antivirus and security products are popular, as well as Finnish F-Secure's. Most smartphones and computers are today made in China, South Korea, Japan and so on, generally speaking in Asia. Google has its roots in Russia through one of its founders.

Opera is a good browser, regardless from which country its current owners come from.

5. Tonyb Win User
    Tonyb, Jan 12, 2017
  6. Phone Man Win User
    Phone Man, Jan 12, 2017
  7. SIW2 Win User
  8. Tonyb Win User

Yes but still owned bu that same company i guess maybe its ok just makes me wonder a company with a shady past wants with a browser.

Tonyb, Jan 12, 2017
  9. SIW2 Win User
    I am using Opera Neon now on 15007x64 Pro. It is working well so far.

10. Tonyb Win User
    so you all are saying it should be ok to use even being bought out by this company if so i install it as a second browser .

Tonyb, Jan 13, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    My UK bank actually gives me a free licence for Kaspersky Internet Security. Of course, nobody is concerned about the backdoors built into US software to enable security agencies to eavesdrop!

Steve C, Jan 13, 2017
  12. Tonyb Win User
    yes lots of backdoors in lots of things, or software these days but do you think its ok to use i like the idea of a vpn built into it and so forth but this company who bought it seems on the level and then off the level from what i read about it, some say they are good some say they are bad.

Tonyb, Jan 13, 2017
  13. Opera browser any good since being bought out by Qihoo 360

Tonyb: I'm staying on the sidelines for the time being. It's all well and good to say that there could be spyware in other browsers and/or software from other countries BUT China has a very bad track record when it comes to human rights and privacy and as for obeying rules of law one only has to look at the South China Sea to see how China operates (i.e. it does as it pleases for its own good). Why have so many software engineers left Opera so recently (i.e. Bruce Lawson and his team to name but a few in November)? I will not use the Opera browser until I have more assurances that things are on the up and up and so far there is nothing to convince me to bother with it. Someone else mentioned Vivaldi as a possible alternative and I would also recommend it. But if you are going to make use of Opera, I would not commit any passwords to it nor would I do any financial transactions on it nor make any social media comments with it. Just my two cents.

westernboy, Jan 14, 2017
  14. Tonyb Win User
    ok i was just going to use it as a back up browser in addition to google chrome do you think it would be ok to do that with it and just general web surfing and stuff. Also my password manager is norton so i doubt it would be able to get them from it *Smile

Tonyb, Jan 14, 2017
  15. Like many others I've uninstalled it and I'm just waiting on the sidelines to see what develops. I think it should be fine to use, Tonyb, but personally I would not use it for financial transactions (shopping, banking) until more information is available. I'm currently using Vivaldi and finding it much like the old Opera and very configurable. It's peppy and the big plus - it's secure. You might want to take a look at it.

westernboy, Jan 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Opera browser any good since being bought out by Qihoo 360 - Similar Threads - Opera browser since

2. Opera GX vs Opera – Which is the better browser?

in Windows 10 News
    Opera GX vs Opera – Which is the better browser?: [ATTACH]Opera is one of the oldest browsers in the industry, and it is one of the best as well. It has features such as a built-in VPN, ads-blocker, etc. However, the company also makes Opera GX which they refer to as a Gaming Browser. In this article, we are going to see...
  3. Opera gx browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opera gx browser: For some reason whenever i download or am about to download a file the opera window turns red in my task bar even when the download is sucsessful https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opera-gx-browser/137d2a91-13f1-4bbf-9408-4ac0eed92c88
  4. Opera Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Opera Browser: I have been using the Opera browser for over a year and up until recently it has worked fine. For some reason now, it does NOT open hardly any website. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Nothing seems to help. Any ideas? 172829
  5. Problem with Opera browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Opera browser: A version of the Opera browser has been working okay in a Debian Jessie system for about 9 months. Suddenly certain features no longer work :- (1) Can't open attachments in emails, especially PDF attachments. (2) Can't use ALT-P to clear cache/cookies Can anyone explain...
  6. Opera announces first gaming browser - Opera GX

in Windows 10 News
    Opera announces first gaming browser - Opera GX: Uv-jwjKxZsk 0UeXgHVjCOA The new PC browser lets gamers control their computer’s CPU and memory usage to make their gaming and streaming smoother. It also features Twitch integration and numerous customization options. Los Angeles, California/ Oslo, Norway –There are...
  7. About the opera browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    About the opera browser: Ok guys, is this true? Opera browser is a virus just because it slow's down my computer? because i will freak out if it is. <Animated GIF removed> * Moved from Virus & Malware...
  8. About the opera browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    About the opera browser: Ok guys, is this true? Opera browser is a virus just because it slow's down my computer? because i will freak out if it is.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/about-the-opera-browser/3b1f1ead-9c27-41ea-b5c5-2952b1d45bd2
  9. Latest Opera browser

in Browsers and Email
    Latest Opera browser: I've recently installed the new Opera browser. and so far am liking it. I've usually used Chrome, and like that, too. I did a little testing on my own, using Task Mgr. I find that Opera uses substantially less resources than Chrome. I like many of the Opera features, such...
  10. Opera web browser is Reborn

in Windows 10 News
    Opera web browser is Reborn: Over the last year, we have introduced a series of new features such as free VPN and native ad blocking. Earlier this year we also presented Opera Neon, a concept browser that gave you a glimpse into the future of desktop browsers. Now, the best parts of Neon are being...