Windows 10: Optane, the poor man's SSD

Discus and support Optane, the poor man's SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I ordered an Optane module for my XPS 8900 Dell computer online for about $25 total. They only work with i3, 5, and 7 and only 7th gen Kaby lake... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by win10er, Dec 2, 2017.

1. win10er Win User

Optane, the poor man's SSD

I ordered an Optane module for my XPS 8900 Dell computer online for about $25 total. They only work with i3, 5, and 7 and only 7th gen Kaby lake processors. They are tied into the drive with the OS on it only and you can't easily change that drive without upsetting the integrity of those two. It's kind of like a memory, drive, accelerator combo and comes in 16 or 32gb. The 32gb one isn't needed unless you do a lot of heavy duty multi function video editing etc computing. You need to upgrade the bios, slip into the M.2 slot, and download the driver for it from Intel. It only helps spinning drives. I will let you know how I like it in a week +-.

:)

win10er, Dec 2, 2017
  2. j_81 Win User

IO performance after KB4056892

with all do respect... optimization has zero effect on ssd (not to mention optane!) drives,

also trim worsens performance with optane only. I've done chkdsk but i have never seen

that effect to IO performance (have you!?)

j_81, Dec 2, 2017
  3. j_81 Win User
    IO performance after KB4056892

Hello.. it seems that KB4056892 is affecting ssd performance. with optane 900p 4k transfer rates drop by 50-70%.

anybody else seeing this?

j_81, Dec 2, 2017
  4. Optane, the poor man's SSD

Optane, sounds like something sold at *BustedDream Market*Busted not New Egg. [feeble attempt at humor]

Smoke n mirrors, so for another ~$30 more and you can have a real ssd @120Gb for your OS and them some, depending on what you do and what your needs are.

First, I cannot believe they still offer these with spinners only @ the least expensive model and I'm not going to knock it (the XPS), however the Optane in my not so humble opinion is a waste of money and resources. Maybe raid them (the spinners x3) out into a Raid 0 (stripe) x 2 and 1 for data.

Isn't this all about resources, having enough properly configured ones too. I hope it works out for you, no gadget I can think of or know about will replace good hardware that is configured properly for the job needed to be done.

Maybe this Optane goodness:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820167440

Bit more than $25.00, plenty of sub $50.00 64gb ssd's and 120gb for $50.00-$75.00 range.

As I already stated, *Busted the wheels are turning.....*Busted, like a Hybrid Drive, Jumbo Shrimp, Biggie Smalls and Iggy Pop and Donald Trump, don't you know he invented Optane while on a bus in California grabbing the P-thingy.

I'm ranting, I just researched this to death and wish to thank you for this tidbit of hardware news, never heard of it till your thread.

Live and Learn, -Great buy for those whose workflow is dependent on compiling and data processing, otherwise jury is still out.

python134r, Dec 2, 2017
  5. Intel has been pushing this drive caching technology in various forms since the first SSDs. I don't know if they have a ton of patents or licensing deals but it's always been strange to me why they market it so hard yet I never hear of anyone actually deploying it on a wide scale.

PolarNettles, Dec 2, 2017
  6. win10er Win User
    It only works on the drive with the OS on it. My new Dell is pretty fast already so maybe it will be all I need.

win10er, Dec 3, 2017
  7. win10er Win User
    Probably why they are found so cheap on Ebay. I will give an assessment of it when I get it.

win10er, Dec 3, 2017
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Intel's Optane modules will accelerate any type of drive, not just HDDs although that is of course the more obvious deployment.
    They've also released full Optane SSD drives which are pretty expensive but faster than even the fastest NVMe drives currently on the market.
    Those can of course be used in any machine with a free Gen 3.x 4lanes PCIe slot.

Buy a Optane 32GB module and you can even install W10 on it too.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 4, 2017
  9. MrNeeds Win User
    I'd rather just get an NVMe drive, the MP500 drives from Corsair have impressive speeds compared to similar priced offerings, not to mention they are much cheaper than Optane (GB for GB) and aren't tied down to a particular manufacturer/model.

MrNeeds, Dec 4, 2017
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Those Corsair drives are rebranded Patriot Hellfire drives. I have one of those and I am not impressed at all with that controller.
    It suffers badly from thermal throttling and to top it off it also generates controller errors.
    I had one replaced under warranty, the replacement was no different.
    Discussing the issue with an incompetent technician at the seller's didn't help either so I gave up.

I can assure you that overall the Optane modules and PCIe drives are much, much faster for daily computing use.
    Faster even than Samsung's 960 Pro's flagship and guess what Samsung is going to put out drives using similar tech as Intel/Micron's.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 4, 2017
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

You're most welcome. If you or anyone else for that matter should have any further questions just ask.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 4, 2017
  12. vram Win User
    When it was being marketed as a replacement for NAND flash, I was excited. Now that it’s just another Intel only, product segmented within intel’s own product line, limited use peice if hardware, I couldn’t care less.

When Intel decides to open it up, provide useable amounts of storage, I’ll be interested again.

13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

That's already the case. Look for Intel P900 ssd.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 6, 2017
  14. vram Win User
    Lol how much is it currently. Realistically priced?

15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Unfortunately they're still horridly expensive. The 280Gb model (the smallest) is going for roughly 390 Euro in Europe.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Optane, the poor man's SSD - Similar Threads - Optane poor man's

2. Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade: Hello, I own an Asus Laptop which initially had a 1 HDD with a DVD Drive slot. After a year I decided to install an SSD. So I went to a computer repair shop and asked to replace the DVD Drive with a SATA SSD. But I don't know why he did this. He opened the DVD writer; fine....
  3. Windows 10 Installed SSD performs poorly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Installed SSD performs poorly: Hi all, I'm experiencing a rather recent issue of my SSD 1 of 3 which has windows and a number of programs installed on it running incredibly slowly. Typically I have noticed this when running games on steam the primary use of the computer or quite noticably when verifying...
  4. Dual Booting on ASUS with Optane SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Booting on ASUS with Optane SSD: I have just bought a new laptop - Asus with 1 TB Optane M.2 NVME SSD. I installed windows home from the oobe, and upgraded to PRO. I then partitioned hard drive into two partitions. I used dism to install W11 (created by uup) in a virtual hard drive and made a native boot...
  5. SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance: Hi all, Cloned the OEM drive in an HP Elitebook 850 G5 yesterday, to a Kingston A2000. I used Clonezilla, everything went off without a hitch. The reason for this was because I needed more space; 250GB to 500. Throw the new drive in, boot up, and the thing is quite slow....
  6. Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD: I've been trying to disable the IBM Optane RST in my system in preparation to installing a 1 TB NMVe SSD in the M.2 slot With no success. I'm new to Windows 10 and all the fancy-schmancy gizmos like Optane RST memory and the like so.... My biggest hurdle seems to be...
  7. Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disabling Optane and Installing NMVe SSD: I've been trying to disable the IBM Optane RST in my system in preparation to installing a 1 TB NMVe SSD in the M.2 slot With no success. I'm new to Windows 10 and all the fancy-schmancy gizmos like Optane RST memory and the like so.... My biggest hurdle seems to be...
  8. Macrium and Optane

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Macrium and Optane: I was wondering if anyone could shed light on this. The best operating procedure I could find for using Macrium reflect Free to image a disk that is accelerated (cached) by an Intel Optane module is to dis-able the Optane acceleration before making an image. This is from the...
  9. Intel's radical Optane next-gen SSD

in Windows 10 News
    Intel's radical Optane next-gen SSD: A couple of weeks ago Intel and Micron jointly announced their Xpoint - pronounced "cross point" - memory. Offering few details they claimed 3D XPoint technology combines the performance, density, power, non-volatility and cost advantages of all available memory...
  10. Announcing Intel Optane SSD 900P Series

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Intel Optane SSD 900P Series: Intel today announced the launch of the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series, the first SSD for desktop PC and workstation users built on Intel® Optane™ technology. Intel, in collaboration with Roberts Space Industries*, announced the new SSD at CitizenCon, a Star Citizen community...