Windows 10: Optical BD drive disappears when inserting a disk

Discus and support Optical BD drive disappears when inserting a disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Something in a recent update to Windows 10 has changed the behavior of my SATA connected optical drive. Everything worked fine and then recently:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kevmoso, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Kevmoso Win User

Optical BD drive disappears when inserting a disk

Something in a recent update to Windows 10 has changed the behavior of my SATA connected optical drive.

Everything worked fine and then recently:

Inserting a cd causes the drive to disappear from "This PC"

The drive will show up in Device Manager if "show hidden devices" is checked.

If I restart the computer with the cd in the drive I can listen to the disk.

If I eject the disk and insert another the drive disappears again.

Mobo = Asrock Fatal1ty z170 Gaming-ITX/ac (all drivers from asrock current)

Disk drive = Matshita BD-MLT UJ265

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

:)

Kevmoso, Aug 12, 2018
  2. Apodsim Win User

Optical Drive Disappears from File Explorer

After much procrastination on upgrading a perfectly good Windows 7 operating system, I took the leap and successfully upgrading to Windows 10 over Two months ago. After completing the upgrade, I though wow what a great product. All of the installed drives, devices etc. were listed and worked just as before. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my Blu-ray drive was no longer listed in File Explorer. I checked Device Manager and it was listed and showed to be working properly. I found similar but not identical issues several forms related to a device disappearing so I tried some of the suggestions all of which did not cause the optical drive to appear as before. Since the drive is less than 3 months old, I contacted manufacturer support and was told that this is a know problem when upgrading to Windows 10 vs. a new install and was advised to contact Microsoft support. The manufacture technician provided some suggestions and was advised that I should not attempt on my own and let Microsoft Support make the suggested changes.

OK, time to weed through the Microsoft maze to find a method to report what I consider a bug, considering that I did not have any issue with Windows 7. First chat session, a Microsoft support person connected to my computer remotely and performed the same procedures that I had already done so I put up with 1-1/2 of them digging though my computer in the hopes that issue could be identified. The command reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0000001 was executed as recommended by drive manufacturer and rebooted. The drive showed up in File Explorer and assumed this was the fix. This lasted approximately one week and then the optical drive again disappeared from File Explorer but shows in Device Manager and working properly.

Contacted Microsoft support chat again, when though the complete story and after 2 hours of remote connection to my computer the following Registry entries were added (as recommended by Drive Manufacturer) followed by a re-start:
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice2 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice3 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice4 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

End result, no change, the optical drive was not listed in File Explorer. The last comment from technical support before re-st was if this does not work the optical drive is not compatible with Windows 10*Eek Interesting how a device works properly for 6 weeks and now is not compatible with Windows 10.

I performed some not technical troubleshooting like manually ejecting the drive tray and inserting a disk. After the disk read completes, now the drive is listed under File Explorer and played without any problem. After ejecting the disk, the drive disappears again from File Explorer.

In summary, my opinion is that Microsoft released Windows 10 before thoroughly testing the operating system and relies on customer complaints to fix what should have been identified during the Beta testing. This evident by the "complimentary" support as it termed in the message sent at the end of the chat session. Perhaps someone from Microsoft with more than basic troubleshooting knowledge will read this post and consider addressing this problem.

Apodsim, Aug 12, 2018
  3. slance310 Win User
    My optical drive keeps disappearing from Windows 10!

Hi,

Here is something I had saved from another thread...

Zero Power Optical Disk Drive

Zero Power Optical Disk Drive (Zero Power ODD or ZPODD) is one of many new Windows 8 features introduced for power efficiency. On a system enabled with ZPODD, when Windows 8 detects that there is no media in an optical drive, power to the optical drive is
    cut off. As soon as the user attempts to use the optical drive, power to the optical drive automatically resumes and the user will be able to use the optical drive immediately, unaware that the power to the device was ever turned off. Everything happens in
    the background and normal user interaction is not affected. ZPODD applies only to optical drives that use the slimline SATA connector and is typically found on laptops. Some servers and desktops also use a slimline SATA connector for optical drives.

In order for ZPODD to work, the ZPODD feature must be supported by the optical drive, the motherboard, and the BIOS.

In some cases even after inserting a Disk in the drive, the drive icon still doesn't show up. you may follow the steps below to make that work.

1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator.... WinKey+X

Now copy the following , right click command prompt and select paste and the Enter.

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

2.Reboot the system

3.Verify if the problem has been resolved.

slance310, Aug 12, 2018
  4. Optical BD drive disappears when inserting a disk

optical drive

Hello,

Try these steps:

1. Open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.

2. Type the following command and hit Enter key:

reg.exe add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0” /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Exit the Command Prompt and reboot. Insert a disk to test and the optical drive should be visible now.

Let us know if this helps!

Kapil Arya [Directly], Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

Optical BD drive disappears when inserting a disk

1. Optical BD drive disappears when inserting a disk - Similar Threads - Optical drive disappears

2. DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11: DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11.I/ve tried 3 different computers with Windows 11It works fine on Windows 10Need a fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-disappears-when-disk-inserted-windows-11/5f679b9b-e234-40ed-adef-3e328ffab4bd
  3. DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11: DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted windows 11.I/ve tried 3 different computers with Windows 11It works fine on Windows 10Need a fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-disappears-when-disk-inserted-windows-11/5f679b9b-e234-40ed-adef-3e328ffab4bd
  4. High Latency and laptop optical drive is searching for a disk but no disk is inserted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High Latency and laptop optical drive is searching for a disk but no disk is inserted: System InfoWindows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19045 x64GL753VE, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.I've asked this question before but I keep putting it off. I haven't really tried anything because if do i might mess up my computer even more and i can't trust myself.The problem that...
  5. High Latency and laptop optical drive is searching for a disk but no disk is inserted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Latency and laptop optical drive is searching for a disk but no disk is inserted: System InfoWindows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19045 x64GL753VE, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.I've asked this question before but I keep putting it off. I haven't really tried anything because if do i might mess up my computer even more and i can't trust myself.The problem that...
  6. High Latency and laptop optical drive is searching for a disk but no disk is inserted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Insert disk into Drive E:?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Insert disk into Drive E:?: I keep getting a pop up that says "Insert Disk Please insert a disk into Removable Disk E: Cancel" There is no Drive or Disk E: What is this all about? I see others have the same issue. I have Windows 10 Home version 1909 OS Build 18363.1256...
  8. DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted

DVD Drive Disappears When Disk Inserted: Just bought an OON 10.1 Android Tablet with detachable keyboard. Great little machine so far except for one major problem. This device needs to be able to play a DVD Rom program on an external DVD player. The external drive is a Gotega ODD HDD Device plugged into the USB...
  9. External DVD drive disappears when a disk is inserted

in Windows 10 Customization
    External DVD drive disappears when a disk is inserted: The dvd drive is recognized in the device manager. The drive shows up in This PC but disappears when a media is in the drive. The driver has been updated to manufacturer supplied....
  10. Optical drive disappears in Windows

Optical drive disappears in Windows: My LG Bluray-Burner (internal) has been disappearing for the second time. It appears under hidden items in Device Manager (under Properties, it is claimed that the drive is disconnected), but not as a drive letter. Last time I fixed it by deleting upper and lower filters....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how com optical drive dissapears when inserting desk