Windows 10: Optical drive letter shows as active task during shutdown/restart

Discus and support Optical drive letter shows as active task during shutdown/restart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I shutdown or restart I get the pop-up about a task preventing shutdown but afaik there are no tasks active. What is even more puzzling is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hairy Scot, May 12, 2017.

1. Optical drive letter shows as active task during shutdown/restart

When I shutdown or restart I get the pop-up about a task preventing shutdown but afaik there are no tasks active.
    What is even more puzzling is that the task name shown is "G" which just happens to be the drive letter of my DVD R/W
    Any ideas?

Update: I changed DVD R/W drive letter to "Z". But task shown at shutdown/restart still "G" so problem is probably not related to the drive.

:)

Hairy Scot, May 12, 2017
  2. CFMartin Win User

HD not shared after restart Windows 10

update, If I go in and add the drive letter the drive is visible and usable on the next restart if use "Shutdown" computer. If I use the "Restart" button the drive letter disappears and drive not accessible. If I "Shutdown " without adding the drive letter
    it does not come back when started back up and is still missing. Seems weird to me that it would vanish on restart and not shutdown

CFMartin, May 12, 2017
  3. Partition problems setting active and losing drive letter

Hello Lukas Optical drive letter shows as active task during shutdown/restart :)

Does your D drive (Disk 1) lose its letter? I would try swapping the SATA cables and ports between it and the optical drive and see if the issue persists.

You could also try assigning a different drive letter to your optical drive and then reassign a letter to your storage drive as this may be a case of signature collisions.

Captain_WD, May 12, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Optical drive letter shows as active task during shutdown/restart

5. Thanks WOT.
    I just logged in to update this thread after finding that disabling a number of auto-starts removed the issue.
    Utorrent was among them.

Hairy Scot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Optical drive letter shows as active task during shutdown/restart

1. Optical drive letter shows as active task during shutdown/restart - Similar Threads - Optical drive letter

2. Optical drive not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optical drive not showing: Hi,My optical drive to read DVDs is not recognized by my portable laptop Windows 10.Here is the context:I have an optical drive connected to my portable laptop via a SATA/USB cable.Here are my attempts to solve the issue:- I connected the drive to my laptop the normal way: it...
  3. Optical drive not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optical drive not showing: Hi,My optical drive to read DVDs is not recognized by my portable laptop Windows 10.Here is the context:I have an optical drive connected to my portable laptop via a SATA/USB cable.Here are my attempts to solve the issue:- I connected the drive to my laptop the normal way: it...
  4. Optical drive not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. optical drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  6. optical drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  7. Restarting but showing as update and shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restarting but showing as update and shutdown: Hello, everytime i click on update and shutdown, it is updating and restarting automatically. Can anyone explain why it is restarting everytime?...
  8. Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Task manager doesn't show drive letters next to some drives: I'm on 2004, but the issue was there in 1909. On the performance tab of task viewer, for some reason some of my drives, don't show the drive letter next to them. [img] 156027
  9. optical drive

optical drive: is not listed in devices and wont find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/optical-drive/0fdeeee8-96a7-42b5-801d-ed31c57d2c14
  10. USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart

USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart: Hey people! I've got an otherwise great dual SATA drive caddy, USB 3, made by ThermalTake, labeled SuperSpeed. It works just fine to let me use a single USB 3.0 cable to attach 1 or 2 drives to my system. My problem is that when I restart or shut down, the system comes back...