Windows 10: Optical Drive shows in Device Manager but does not function.

Discus and support Optical Drive shows in Device Manager but does not function. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade the other night and am enjoying it so far. Everything seems fine except one problem - my optical drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mattking1984, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Optical Drive shows in Device Manager but does not function.

Hi,

I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade the other night and am enjoying it so far. Everything seems fine except one problem - my optical drive isn't working! I don't use it that often so only noticed when i needed to burn a cd for a friend.

In Device Manager it is listed under "Other devices" with a question mark on the icon. Have deleted it and done a scan for hardware changes, and also tried "update driver" - no joy. Screenshots below. Any ideas? I notice several other people have been having this problem

Optical Drive shows in Device Manager but does not function. [​IMG]

Thanks

Matt

:)

mattking1984, Aug 3, 2015
  2. slance310 Win User

Unable to detect DVD disc after installing Windows 10

Hi,

Do you have two separate drives... a CD drive and a CD\DVD drive ?

There are sometimes issues with optical drives when upgrading to Win 8, 8.1, and 10...

But normally the entire does not function, not just the DVD part... That's what confuses me a bit.

Does the drive(s) show up in This PC and Device Manager ?

If this is a single drive for both CD and DVD, it is possible that the DVD function has failed... There are other possibilities though.

BTW... Do you have any type of bootable DVD media you could try to boot with...

Just to see if it will ?

slance310, Aug 3, 2015
  3. How do you Open the Disc Tray?

Every optical drive I've seen always has a hardware button you can press to open the door. However, if File Explorer doesn't show the drive, you may have a connection or driver issue. If you open Device Manager, does it show?

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

Optical Drive shows in Device Manager but does not function.

1. Optical Drive shows in Device Manager but does not function. - Similar Threads - Optical Drive shows

2. Optical drive not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optical drive not showing: Hi,My optical drive to read DVDs is not recognized by my portable laptop Windows 10.Here is the context:I have an optical drive connected to my portable laptop via a SATA/USB cable.Here are my attempts to solve the issue:- I connected the drive to my laptop the normal way: it...
  3. Optical drive not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optical drive not showing: Hi,My optical drive to read DVDs is not recognized by my portable laptop Windows 10.Here is the context:I have an optical drive connected to my portable laptop via a SATA/USB cable.Here are my attempts to solve the issue:- I connected the drive to my laptop the normal way: it...
  4. Optical drive not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. camera does not show on device manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    camera does not show on device manager: My camera does not work as it does not show on Device Manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/camera-does-not-show-on-device-manager/7619b73b-c762-4a31-addd-1a282c6a3ff9
  6. double drive showing in device manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    double drive showing in device manager: with this error, my drive is not accessible and all the data from my drive got lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-drive-showing-in-device-manager/8f3f65f0-0e95-48f2-8acc-a585a39e5515
  7. Bluetooth does not show in device manager

Bluetooth does not show in device manager: I noticed a lot of Windows 10 users having problems with the Bluetooth service not showing in device manager after an update. I had the same problem and followed instructions from an advisor [device manager<view<show hidden devices<bluetooth<uninstall Bluetooth Device RFCOMM...
  8. Device Manager does not show a "Mouse".

Device Manager does not show a "Mouse".: . After a fresh Windows 10 restart my mouse is not working. It lights up at turn on but shuts down at Window logo start. Device Manager does not show a "Mouse". Even with the mouse cd that came with mouse it is not installing. To meneuver on screen using tab and scroll does...
  9. CD/DVD drive not functional; shows in Device Manager as "(Standard disk drives)"

CD/DVD drive not functional; shows in Device Manager as "(Standard disk drives)": Created a new partition on my Win7 HP laptop into which I installed Win10. All went well except that my "CDDVDW TS-L633N" drive is not recognized. It appears in Device Manager under "Disk drives" when on all my other PCs the CD-ROM drive shows up under "DVD/CD-ROM drives"....
  10. Hard drive does not show in bios or disk managent but does show in device manager and...

Hard drive does not show in bios or disk managent but does show in device manager and...: I recently bought a pc with a 1tb hard drive and 120gb ssd. I'm able to see my hard drive in storage spaces and device manager but I cannot able to access it in the bios or the devices and drives or in disk management. How can I fix this issue and get the hard drive to...