Windows 10: Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive

Discus and support Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am wondering if my page file settings could be improved. I have 16Gbt ram. I have a 240 Gbt sshd C drive with an average of 30 Gbt free and two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chris Nicola, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive

I am wondering if my page file settings could be improved. I have 16Gbt ram. I have a 240 Gbt sshd C drive with an average of 30 Gbt free and two Hybrid drives (2T, 4T with lots of free space. I have set Windows to manage the page file (screenshot attached). I note that no page file is assigned to my C drive which is the fastest as its a sshd. Windows has only assigned a page file to one of the other Hybrid drives which has 469 Gbt free. Should I manually configure the page file on my C drive or leave things as they are? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards
    Chris

Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive [​IMG]

:)

Chris Nicola, Jan 27, 2017
  2. lemons94 Win User

New SSD; easiest way to move OS over?

Hi all,

Still need help!

I tried the below method this afternoon with no luck.

Connected SSD and powered on machine,

Checked C drive space used = 220GB+ meaning I couldnt do system image of C drive to SSD (120GB)

Reduced C drive space used to as little as possible but still not enough to do system image.

New plan:

Create Windows 10 bootable disc using ISO file

Clean install Windows 10 on to SSD

Format C Drive of SSHD

Activate Windows 10 (again) using previous Windows 7 key (used to upgrade to Win10)

Will my new plan work? Or, shall I format the C drive of my SSHD and reinstall Windows 7 to SSD- then download the Win10 ISO and upgrade this way?

Thanks all for any advice.

lemons94, Jan 27, 2017
  3. Re-Image PC

Thanks for the reply, my OS drive was C: and I had 500GB 850 EVO as drive D: and a 2TB partition of a 4TB SSHD as drive E: . Those two drives are encrypted. Could you explain how I could mount and copy the files? Would that be a safe alternative to using
    the Windows recovery re-imager?

Achilles D., Jan 27, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive

I would set a system managed size pagefile on C drive.

NavyLCDR, Jan 27, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Ditto. One thing I usually do is set the Maximum and Minimum as the same size and it usually doesn't need defragging, keeps it neatly together, isn't scattered around the drive. Haven't tried that with an SSD yet as the only computer I have [Notebook] with an SSD has Linux on it.

Berton, Jan 27, 2017
  6. Thank you both for your replies. Do you mean to enable a system managed page file for C and cancel the others like in the screenshot below?

Kind regards
    Chris

Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive [​IMG]

Chris Nicola, Jan 27, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would leave it like that. Now try enabling the Automatic option at the top and see if it stays on C: drive. Making the minimum and maximum size the same is completely inapplicable to SSDs because fragmentation does not affect an SSD because there is no read/write head to physically move around a disk.

NavyLCDR, Jan 27, 2017
  8. Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive

Thanks. The last time I tried enabling the automatic function it reverted to the screenshot in my first post (only system managed page file on one of the hybrid drives and none on the sshd). I will try again tomorrow or Monday when I use the computer and let you know what happens.

Kind regards
    Chris

Chris Nicola, Jan 28, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    In that case, I would leave it manually set to system managed on C: drive and see what you think. To gain more space, you can disable hibernation - which will also disable fast startup - and get rid of the hibernation system file. Fast startup may not do much for performance during booting with an SSD. From a command prompt (admin) run:

powercfg /h off

NavyLCDR, Jan 28, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    You will certainly need to free up space on your SSD. Have a look and see what you can move off there. E.g. personal data- better on a different drive.

I have a 256Gb SSD with a LOT of programs installed, my personal data on a separate drive, and have over 160Gb free.

dalchina, Jan 28, 2017
  11. Thanks to everyone for their advice. Thanks. I tried for a second time enabling the automatic page file for all drives and it reverted to the screenshot in my first post (only system managed page file on one of the hybrid drives and none on the sshd). So now I have not used the automatic function and only enabled a system managed page file for the ssd. Thanks for the advice about reducing ssd space. I have already moved all my data to other drives. I will check out the suggestions. I will have to find out why its getting so full. Now I have only 22.2 Gt free out of 220 Gbt Drive.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards
    Chris

Kind regards
    Chris

Chris Nicola, Feb 2, 2017
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    I suspect that Windows did not by default put a pagefile on C: because of the limited disk space. There would not have been sufficient room for the pagefile to expand to system managed limits. That is unlikely to happen but Windows can't know that.

LMiller7, Feb 2, 2017
  13. Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive

I gained 12 Gbt by moving my Dropbox store folder from. my C drive to another drive. I gained another 11 Gbt by turning off hybernation. So now I have 45 Gbt free on a 220 Gbt drive which is much better. I think I can probably find ways to save more space The page file on C is Windows managed and is working well. I appreciate all the help.

Kind regards
    Chris

Chris Nicola, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive

1. Optimising Page File On SSHD C Drive - Similar Threads - Optimising Page File

2. Is there a way to merge my c drive boot with my d drive logical + page file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to merge my c drive boot with my d drive logical + page file: i need help merging these 2 drive cuz my c drive is running out of space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-merge-my-c-drive-boot-with-my-d/eef199d5-3938-4e5f-9b5d-40a1e1cfb3ed
  3. Help! Cannot access C: drive on old SSHD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! Cannot access C: drive on old SSHD: Hi everyone, My old laptop's motherboard died and I had to get a new laptop. Unfortunately a lot of important data is still on my old SSHD. I've connected it to my new laptop by SSD/HDD caddy, but it only shows me the second partition of the drive, which had some of the...
  4. Defragment and Optimise Drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defragment and Optimise Drives: Hi All, When I go in to the services app in my Windows 10 HE, Defrag and Optimise Drives is not listed as a service. Also when I type in the search bar to bring up the app, nothing happens other than a very quick blink. I could go a cmd line, but I don't actually need to...
  5. Optimising the SSD drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optimising the SSD drives: Hello everyone, Since 4 days I've got a problem regarding the SSD drives as follows: every time after reboot it's always show that the SSD drives never run for optimisation although I did many times before reboot. Has anyone experienced such a problem and got a solution?...
  6. Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment: Is this normal or should I be concerned? I've tried SFC and DISM commands and everything seems good. Please see the attached image. [ATTACH]...
  7. optimise drive error

in Windows 10 Customization
    optimise drive error: when I click on defrag and optimise drive setting nothing happens what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optimise-drive-error/54b98083-bb7b-4d5e-be3e-c8acf72e4943
  8. " Defragment and Optimise Drives "

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    " Defragment and Optimise Drives ": Hi, First of all, I would like to describe the laptop that I have. I have an 128gb SSD which holds the OS on it and a 1 terabyte HDD which I use for all my programs, documents, music, videos etc etc, both came with the laptop. Now I know its safe and normal to defrag a HDD...
  9. What's the trimming phase in Defragment and Optimise Drives?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What's the trimming phase in Defragment and Optimise Drives?: After defragmenting and consolidating (FYI, it's the phase that packs all the files together so it keeps the files from fragmenting), I managed to find a phase called trimming. I left my laptop to sleep while it was defragging (never really a good idea, I suppose). It loves...
  10. Problems with SSHD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problems with SSHD: So, I have got a new laptop, but it has a problematic SSHD because of its 8GB part. The disc works great, Windows boots up in about 15 sec compared to 2 mins before, but: System Restore does not work and when I try to defragment disc, it tells me, not to. Any idea why?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. read files on C: sshd

2. sshd page file