Windows 10: Optimize Battery Life on Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Optimize Battery Life on Windows 10 PC in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Optimize Battery Life on Windows 10 PC How to Optimize Battery Life on Windows 10 PC This tutorial will provide you with a list of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Carl, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Carl Win User

Optimize Battery Life on Windows 10 PC

How to: Optimize Battery Life on Windows 10 PC

How to Optimize Battery Life on Windows 10 PC

This tutorial will provide you with a list of suggestions to help optimize, extend, and improve the battery life on your Windows 10 laptop or tablet.

You can pick and choose which listed suggestions you would like to do or feel comfortable doing.

*tip Battery saving tips | Windows support

Here's How:

1. Use Lower Power Mode Level
    The Windows performance power slider enables you to quickly and intelligently trade performance of your system for longer battery life. Setting the power mode level to Battery Saver or Better Battery while running on battery power can help extend your PC's battery life.
    • Battery Saver - Helps conserve power, and prolong battery life, when the system is not connected to a power source. When battery saver is on, some Windows features are disabled, throttled, or behave differently. Screen brightness is also reduced. Battery Saver is only available on DC.
    • Better Battery - Delivers longer battery life than the default settings on previous versions of Windows. Available on both AC and DC. In some cases, users will see this mode labeled Recommended, rather than Better Battery, in their slider UI.

Optimize Battery Life on Windows 10 PC [​IMG]

2. Choose a Power Plan that Saves More Energy
    A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or achieve a balance between the two.

Selecting to use the Balanced or Power saver power plan can help extend your PC's battery life.
    • Balanced - Offers full performance when you need it and saves power when you don't. This is the best power plan for most people.
    • Power saver - Saves power by reducing PC performance and screen brightness. If you're using a laptop, this plan can help you get the most from a single battery charge

3. Reduce Screen Brightness Percentage Level
    A brighter display uses more power, which reduces battery life. You can reduce the screen brightness to the lowest percentage level (ex: 50%) acceptable to you while running on battery power to help extend your PC's battery life.

4. Turn On and Adjust Battery Saver
    Battery saver extends battery life by limiting background activity and push notifications when your device is low on battery. When battery saver is on, your PC temporarily turns off some things that use a lot of power, like automatic email and calendar syncing, live tile updates, and apps you’re not actively using.

You can check the Turn battery saver on automatically if my battery falls below box, and adjust the slider to the battery percentage level you want to have battery saver automatically turn on whenever the battery falls below this level.

To turn on battery saver now and leave it on until the next time you plug in your PC, turn on Battery saver status until next charge.

You can also check the Lower screen brightness while in battery saver box to automatically lower screen brightness while battery saver is on.

5. Run the Power Troubleshooter
    The Power troubleshooter will automatically find and fix problems with your computer's power settings to conserve power and extend battery life.

6. Reduce Time to Turn Off Display when on Battery Power
    You can specify how long your PC is inactive before the display (screen) automatically turns off. Using a shorter duration will help extend your PC's battery life.

7. Reduce Time for when PC Sleeps when on Battery Power
    Sleep uses very little power, your PC starts up faster, and you’re instantly back to where you left off. Using a shorter duration will help extend your PC's battery life.

You can use sleep when you’re going to be away from your PC for just a little while – like when you’re taking a coffee break. If you are going to be away from the computer for a long period of time, then it would be better to turn off the PC instead.

8. Manage Battery Usage by App
    Get the most out of your PC’s battery by choosing which apps are okay to run in the background. See which apps are affecting your battery life allows you to see a list of apps and how much battery each one is using relatively. This can help you choose which apps to allow (the ones you care about most) versus which apps to disallow (the ones you care about least). Select an app from the list, and then clear the Let Windows decide when this app can run in the background check box. (Note that some apps can’t be changed.)

9. Turn Off Bluetooth
    Bluetooth is a short range wireless technology which enables wireless data transmission between two Bluetooth enabled devices located nearby each other. If you don't use Bluetooth (if available), then turning it off will help extend your PC's battery life.

10. Turn On Airplane Mode to Disable All Wireless Communication
    Airplane mode is a feature that gives you a quick way to turn off all wireless communication on your PC. As the name implies, it's especially useful when you're on an airplane. Wireless communication includes Wi-Fi, cellular (mobile broadband), Bluetooth, GPS or GNSS, near field communication (NFC), and all other types of wireless communication.

You can turn on Airplane mode when you don't need to use any wireless communication to help extend your PC's battery life.

11. Change Power Saving Mode of Wireless Adapters when On Battery
    The Power Saving Mode setting under Wireless Adapter Settings in Power Options allows you to control the power saving mode of wireless adapters.

The strength and performance of your wireless network will decrease as you increase power savings, but your battery life will increase.

12. Optimize Video Playback Quality for Battery Life
    When watching movies and videos on battery power, you can choose Optimize for battery life for battery-saving options for playing video, such as allowing video to play at a lower resolution.

13. Optimize Streaming HDR Videos, Games, and Apps for Battery Life
    When running Windows HD Color content on battery power, you can choose Optimize for battery life for battery-saving options, such as not allowing HDR games and apps on battery, or not allowing streaming HDR video to play on battery. (The specific options you have depend on the Windows HD Color capabilities that your device supports.)

14. Turn Off Location Service
    Many Windows and third party apps and services request and use your device location information to provide you with convenient services, such as maps to help you get where you’re going or a list of restaurants near you. Windows location settings give you control over which Windows apps can use your device location and location history information.

Turning off the Location service can help extend your PC's battery life.

15. Unplug Your Unused Devices
    If you have devices or accessories connected to your PC that you don’t use, turn off your PC, unplug the devices, and then turn your PC back on.
    16. Disable Indexing when on Battery Power
    By default, Windows will use the index when searching to give you faster search results. If you like, you can enable a policy to pause indexing when your PC is running on battery power to conserve energy, and automatically resume indexing when your PC is running on AC power next.
    17. Use Longer Interval to Sync Email
    Increase battery life by changing how frequently your PC syncs email by selecting a longer interval to download new content.

You can also turn off sync email, calendar, or contacts for accounts that you don't want to.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Carl, Aug 6, 2015
  2. coukou Win User

Hello, In order to optimize the battery life of my laptop, I want to configure it to 80% as the maximum load.
    How do I manage that Power Throttling to 80% on Windows 10? Otherwise, what utility do you recommend?
    Regards ,

coukou, Oct 27, 2019
  3. coukou Win User

TNX Brink for yr reply and sorry for the delay.
    My meaning is about the battery itself, nothing to do with the processor.

In today's mobile world, most batteries in use today are lithium-ion (it's my case). So, battery life is precious. To extend this battery life, it is recommended to not fully charge (100%) or to discharge them completely either.
    So, I'm looking for how to manage that Power Throttling (battery charge) to 80% on Windows 10? Otherwise, what utility do you recommend? I heard about IBM Power Manager that enable that limitation but I can't find it.
    Regards

coukou, Oct 27, 2019
  4. coukou Win User

TNX Brink for yr reply and sorry for the delay.
    My meaning is about the battery itself, nothing to do with the processor.

In today's mobile world, most batteries in use today are lithium-ion (it's my case). So, battery life is precious. To extend this battery life, it is recommended to not fully charge (100%) or to discharge them completely either.
    So, I'm looking for how to manage that Power Throttling (battery charge) to 80% on Windows 10? Otherwise, what utility do you recommend? I heard about IBM Power Manager that enable that limitation but I can't find it.
    Regards

coukou, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User

Hello coukou, *Smile

Do you mean for "Maximum processor state"?

Add or Remove Maximum processor state from Power Options in Windows | Tutorials

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Graeme.P Win User
    battery life and optimization

Hi Abby, I'm Graeme, an independent adviser here to help.

Windows is pretty good at managing your battery settings based on your PC's needs. You can click the Battery icon in the bottom right corner of your screen to change the slider to better performance or better battery life, depending on how fast you need your
    PC to perform.

There isn't really any better settings for battery life, as the best settings depend on what you're doing with your PC at the time. If you want to maximize battery life, you can move the slider all the way to the Better Battery end. Otherwise, the other side
    of the slider will improve PC performance.

If your laptop's battery is going flat while it's plugged in, the charger is probably faulty. You might need to get it checked out by the manufacturer.

Let me know if you need further support! Thanks!

Graeme.P, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Optimize Battery Life on Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - Optimize Battery Life

2. Increase PC battery's life

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Increase PC battery's life: Hello everyone, This is a second post. I will try to be more accurate in my description. I have a Dell Inspiron 13 5368 2-in-1 laptop with Windows 10, 64 installed. With a new battery I purchased, I really want to extant it's life span. I am looking for a PC program that can...
  3. Increase PC battery's life

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Increase PC battery's life: Hello everyone, This is a second post. I will try to be more accurate in my description. I have a Dell Inspiron 13 5368 2-in-1 laptop with Windows 10, 64 installed. With a new battery I purchased, I really want to extant it's life span. I am looking for a PC program that can...
  4. Increase PC battery's life

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Optimizing battery life on a Windows 10 laptop

Optimizing battery life on a Windows 10 laptop: Just like the topic says, how do I do this?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optimizing-battery-life-on-a-windows-10-laptop/77809a06-eb46-4b5f-84a4-cd2666f4dc15
  6. battery life

battery life: what is the approx. life of the battery in my HP ENVY x360 touchsmart laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life/782d5872-5675-4c2f-8ea6-ebed16048580
  7. battery life and optimization

battery life and optimization: 1. what are the best settings for battery optimization? 2. why does my battery die when I have the computer plugged in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life-and-optimization/543cc120-d6a3-451a-ac37-e0c6ba374cd4
  8. Battery life

Battery life: kindly i need your support after i upgraded my windows to windows 10 the battery get drained while the pc is off and i don't know what to do for that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life/07efec83-d943-4a1c-8b58-842af7ce93ba
  9. Battery life with windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery life with windows 10: Initially battery life increased for my laptop ASUS S400CA from 2:35 to 3:35. Now it has come down to 2:30. In between I changed battery saver from 100 to 60. Now again I changed to 100. Still battery life is going down. I would like to know about other users exp. Any...
  10. Optimize Battery Life when Watching Movies and Videos in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Optimize Battery Life when Watching Movies and Videos in Windows 10: How to: Optimize Battery Life when Watching Movies and Videos in Windows 10 [img] Information When watching movies and videos on battery power in Windows 10, you can select to optimize for battery life or video quality. When set to optimize for battery life on devices...