Windows 10: Optimize OEM "Recovery" Partition on Schedule?

Discus and support Optimize OEM "Recovery" Partition on Schedule? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi: Will Win10 automatically "optimize" my SSD "Recovery" drive on schedule? I have reviewed this excellent tutorial (Optimize Drives Schedule... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MoxieMomma, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Optimize OEM "Recovery" Partition on Schedule?

Hi:

Will Win10 automatically "optimize" my SSD "Recovery" drive on schedule?

I have reviewed this excellent tutorial (Optimize Drives Schedule Settings - Change in Windows 10)
    The System Drive and Data Drive are being automatically optimized (TRIM for the SSD and defrag for the HDD) on schedule.
    And I have checked the settings to verify that the "WINRETools" partition on this OEM box is checked to be included.

However, my screen shot looks very much like the one in the tutorial, showing that the "WINRETools" partition "needs optimization" but is not being optimized on schedule.

1) Is that because the recovery partition is "hidden"?
    2) Is there a way to manually optimize it?
    3) Or should I leave it be?

TIA again,

MM

:)

MoxieMomma, Jul 21, 2016

2. If I do the Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade, and 2 years from now do a factory reset, what will happen?

OEM Recovery partition will become inoperable when you upgrade.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    Recovery Parition missing in Windows 10. Cannot Refresh System to Windows 8.

The recovery partition you are talking about was something the OEM computer maker put on the harddrive to allow re-installing the OS and software they provided with the computer. Windows doesn't do this or use that partition.

If you don't have the original hardddrive with the OEM recovery partition on it you will need to use OEM recovery media to reinstall your original operating system and files. If you didn't create the recovery media yourself you'll have to contact the computer
    manufacturer and buy a set, whether it is on DVDs or however they supply it for your computer.

Ralf_G, Jul 21, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Optimize OEM "Recovery" Partition on Schedule?

The partition never gets written to after it is initially created. Optimization on an SSD (also known as Trim) only affects the efficiency of writing to it, but does not affect reading from it. That is why it isn't needed to be performed on the recovery partition.

There are two steps required for a cell location to be written to on an SSD. First the cell must be marked as obsolete (I don't know what the technical term is) when the data stored there is no longer required (such as when you delete or change a file). In order to save time during the process of deleting or changing a file, that is all that occurs initially. The second step is that the cell must actually be reset before it can be written to. Think of it as the difference between leaving a hotel room and preparing the hotel room for the next guest. The Trim function goes through and resets all the cells marked as obsolete so that they are immediately ready to receive new data.

When you change the contents of a file on an SSD, the parts that are changed are actually written to new cells, and the old data is marked as obsolete. It is more efficient to just let those old cells build up and reset them all at once than it is to reset them one at time when they need to be written to.

Since the recovery partition is not going to be written to very often (if ever after it is created), there is no need to reset the cells that might be marked as obsolete.

NavyLCDR, Jul 21, 2016
  5. Hi:

Thanks for quick reply.
    Your explanation makes perfect sense.
    And I was puzzled why Disk Optimization says that this disk "needs optimization", as it's a brand new system and the "WINRETOOLS" drive has never been accessed.

I guess it is a bit of a "cosmetic" bug in Win10 that it reports that the drive "needs optimization" when it really does not?
    And it is a bit of a "functional" bug in Win10 that the utility says that the drive is included in the list of drives to be optimized, even though it really is not?

OK, I will not lose any sleep over this one.*Rolleyes
    Another of the many Win10 mysteries for this old Luddite.

Cheers!
    MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Optimize OEM "Recovery" Partition on Schedule?

1. Optimize OEM "Recovery" Partition on Schedule? - Similar Threads - Optimize OEM Recovery

2. Partition Optimization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Partition Optimization: I have 2 partitions 1 of which is for the OS. This one is stuck at 4% fragmented and when I try to optimize it analyzer's it but doesn't go any further. Is this normal and if not what can I do to get it to optimize?...
  3. Windows Recovery, OEM partition from past Windows Insider

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Recovery, OEM partition from past Windows Insider: [IMG] so here the thing, i had my daily windows 10 installed on Disk 0 (SSD) (C: OS 10), and i installed more windows on the same device (dual boot) on Disk 1 (Harddisk) and become insider ( i shrink and create new partition from E: SAFE partition ), after long use, i decide...
  4. restoring OEM recovery partition from usb driver

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    restoring OEM recovery partition from usb driver: Hey, I backed up the recovery partition on my HP desktop computer to free up some space now need to recover the PC. My issue is I dont know how to put the recovery partition back so that I can run the recovery. Is there a simple solution to this problem? Any help would...
  5. Recovery partition needs optimization

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recovery partition needs optimization: When I upgraded to the Creators Update, I have noticed that the Recovery partition of my hard drive reads 13% fragmented. I have tried defragmenting it, but nothing happens. Having mild OCD, how do I remedy this? 81972
  6. Drive Optimize Scheduler not working

Drive Optimize Scheduler not working: As you can see from my printscreen scheduler isn't working. Sometimes it goes up to 40 days last run, I have to do it manually every single time I remember doing it. Windows 10 has NEVER done automatic trimming/defragging on any drive. Anyone have a similar issue?...
  7. Optimize and Defrag Schedule issue

Optimize and Defrag Schedule issue: So i have had this to TRIM my SSD weekly it as such it is scheduled as such [img] Problem being it has NEVER did this weekly daily automatically I will randomly check this and it will say 20 ~40 days since last trim cause that how long it is before i actual check......
  8. Defragmenting (Optimizing) SSD Win 10 Recovery & EFI Partitions ?

Defragmenting (Optimizing) SSD Win 10 Recovery & EFI Partitions ?: Hi I have a Sandisk 240GB SSD with Win10 installed and I have the built in defragment/optimizer task scheduled to TRIM out the OS partition of the drive on a weekly basis, however, I didn't know whether or not to have it optimize the other system partitions as well...the...
  9. Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD

Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD: I have a feeling this has been asked before and the answer is “Just leave it, it doesn’t matter” I notice the recovery partition on my SSD is always reporting as “Never run” and “Needs optimizing” If you chose to optimize it does nothing. [img] Any advice on this...
  10. OEM Recovery Partition HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM Recovery Partition HP Laptop: I own an HP 14 AC 016ne. This laptop was shipped with Windows 8.1 originally. I had upgraded the Windows to Windows 10 pro with my own licence key that I had purchased separately. I had also resized my hard drive but I never changed or touched any other partitions on it....