Windows 10: Optimize SSD

Discus and support Optimize SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Since I've installed a SSD, When I run Optimize it says never run-needs optimization. It will never run on it. Any suggestions? [img] 66691 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Clint, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Clint Win User

Optimize SSD

Since I've installed a SSD, When I run Optimize it says never run-needs optimization. It will never run on it. Any suggestions?

Optimize SSD [​IMG]

:)

Clint, Oct 11, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Optimization not available Windows 10 Pro

An SSD shouldn't be defragmented. It's not really necessary and will shorten the SSD's useful life.

That's why Microsoft changed the name from 'defragment' to 'optimize.' For a HDD, 'optimize' means defragment; for an SSD, 'optimize' means running the TRIM command and performing a procedure known as 'garbage collection.' If you have a hybrid, both definitions
    apply to the respective components.

Whatever the type of drive, Windows checks whether it needs to be optimized on a regular schedule, but the procedure only happens when it's actually necessary. Improvements in HDD and SSD logic make regular optimization less necessary.

BulldogXX, Oct 11, 2016
  3. SYSReserved on SSD win10pro 64 !

hello, y cant i optimize my SYS Reserved on SSD ? or just optimize the SSD and will do it for me behind the scene ? thanks

ChefHasan G, Oct 11, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Optimize SSD

Recovery is a special system volume that is built during install, and used only to launch recovery if and when the primary boot sequence fails to complete (or if you invoke recovery through a variety of OS options in Windows, like "Reset this PC"). Notice it has no drive letter. It doesn't need to be optimized because (a) it's on an SSD and Windows doesn't optimize SSDs and (b) there's not much or any write activity to this partition so the structure doesn't degrade (much) over time. Feel free to ignore this bogus warning. FWIW, I see the same thing on my PC and I never heed that admonition.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

Optimize SSD [​IMG]

EdTittel, Oct 11, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Take a look here, it does optimize SSDs, it runs TRIM: Optimize Drives - Defrag HDD and TRIM SSD in Windows 8

Cliff S, Oct 11, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    I think the reason why it won't perform optimisation on the recovery partition is because there (appears) to be nothing in that particular partition to optimise.

swarfega, Oct 11, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks, Swarfega: that's what I tried to say, too. As for TRIM, it's just glorified garbage collection. Not quite the same as optimization, but then, SSDs don't need to move data around to get it under a read/write head ASAP, either. Random access rules!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 11, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

Optimize SSD

It's called Optimize Drives, because it both defrags HDD's and TRIM's(which is not garbage collection see below), and they needed and one name fits all.

It has nothing to do where files are placed on the drive like "so called advanced defragmenters" do(which for a normal user is a waste of time and also causes wear & tear on mechanical drives for very little to no increase in access time)

Garbage Collection and TRIM in SSDs Explained - An SSD Primer | The SSD Review
    ***read the complete article***

Cliff S, Oct 11, 2016
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Leave the Recovery partition alone. As stated, there is probably nothing to optimize there.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 12, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

In the nearly 30 odd years I've been using various releases of Windows and Linux I've NEVER had to defrag a drive -- AFAIK it rarely seems to make ANY difference.

As for SSD's -- since essentially accessing data is really like reading a 2 dimensional array where any address is just as likely as any other and the access time the same (no heads to move or seek cylinder / sector stuff to perform) then there's nothing to do.

The best you can do with an SSD is JUST LEAVE IT. Any fiddling with it is more likely to break it than just by using it normally.

(Even if by some convoluted maths and twisting the Laws of Physics you could theoretically get a microscopic improvement - the amount of improvement would be so tiny that you would be unable to detect it anyway).

A lot of advice on HDD's etc is really OUT OF DATE now - especially with large spinners which have decent cache sizes, "pre-fetch" for commonly used data etc.

If you have an OS on a spinner - the best you can do is to back it up with something like macrium, re-format the HDD and then restore the IMAGE. IMAGE the HDD - don't use CLONE. Imaging will essentially "optimise the OS arrangement" on the HDD -- Cloning will copy sector by sector -- empty ones too etc.

It always is best to keep your OS and programs if possible on its own HDD / SSD. Certainly keep in a separate partition. One obvious benefit is that if you have to restore or upgrade the OS you don't lose your DATA !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 12, 2016
  11. Mooly Win User
    Its very difficult to get definitive easy to understand info on SSD trim and optimise.

Have you noticed that when you restore an image with Macrium that it says at the very beginning 'attemptimg trim... trim successful'. Also Windows default is to 'optimise weekly' and yet that doesn't seem to happen from what I can judge. My recovery drive contents never really change and yet that now says needs optimising. Only just spotted that.

Optimize SSD [​IMG]

Mooly, Oct 12, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Sorry, but that's just not correct. On HDDs it DOES make a difference. In fact it may well turn a sluggish system into a much better one. HDDs are mechanical so seek times are for real.

As for this recovery partition, nothing's written to it so leave it be. It's one of these things MS still needs to address, it should not show up there as needing Optimization that's all.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 14, 2016
  13. CountMike New Member

Optimize SSD

Only time I ever had to defrag a HDD (since W7) is when I had to do something with drives that were not mine but here for repairs. Badly (15% and more) fragmentation can slow them down or make them unreliable.

CountMike, Oct 14, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@fdegrove

maybe because I've always found imaging a system and restoring it always does the job far better and faster than any defragmentation. Things like Macrium are excellent for this. IMAGE don't CLONE the HDD. Restoring an image rebuilds all the cluster chains properly so HDD is reasonably optimised. CLONE copies every cluster as it was before (including errors etc).

Usually (in fact almost since day 1 of any release of Windows) I've always had OS + Pgms on their own partition / HDD.

Data alone on a Non OS partition even on a "defragmented" HDD rarely if any makes any difference -- even when streaming a movie the other aspects of a system including network speed will render inefficiency by the HDD as fairly minimal.

For things like Scratch areas for video editing / photoshop etc then a contiguous area is important but as these are created each time and are temporary files you won't run into problems unless HDD's are really full (>85%).

It's important of course to have the OS on the FASTEST device possible -- SLOW HDD's with insufficient cache space are usually the cause these days of poor system performance -- fortunately legacy small capacity IDE spinners are increasingly rarer now and will usually only be seen in older systems or used for archiving data where speed is irrelevant.

However all this is a moot point since the OP mentions SSD's which for obvious reasons as explained by several people in previous posts in this thread do not need any sort of defragmentation applied to them.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 14, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    Actually for data only drives, the old trick we used to use to quickly defrag drives was to simply copy files to a new drive, wipe old drive and copy back. Basically a simpler version of the image tool method.

cereberus, Oct 14, 2016
Thema:

Optimize SSD

1. Optimize SSD - Similar Threads - Optimize SSD

2. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?OS WINDOWS 11...
  3. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?...
  4. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...
  5. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...
  6. Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...: I have done multiple “Defragment and Optimize Drives,” to my SSD thinking that it would boost some performance in my games. However a lot of people say that it is bad to do this to my SSD. What should I do?...
  7. Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...

Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...: I have done multiple “Defragment and Optimize Drives,” to my SSD thinking that it would boost some performance in my games. However a lot of people say that it is bad to do this to my SSD. What should I do?...
  8. SSD Optimization Not Available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Optimization Not Available: I cannot seem to get a straight answer to this question anywhere I search.My external SSD suddenly started running very slowly. It's a Samsung EVO 860 500GB. Windows 11 plenty of RAM etc. Power Options = High Performance Plan=====I open Optimize Drives and it says:• C Drive...
  9. SSD Optimization Not Available

SSD Optimization Not Available: I cannot seem to get a straight answer to this question anywhere I search.My external SSD suddenly started running very slowly. It's a Samsung EVO 860 500GB. Windows 11 plenty of RAM etc. Power Options = High Performance Plan=====I open Optimize Drives and it says:• C Drive...
  10. SSD Optimization Tips for better performance on Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    SSD Optimization Tips for better performance on Windows PC: [ATTACH]SSD or Solid State Drive is a great way to increase your read and write pace by leaps and bounds. But there is still a lot you can do to improve the performance further. This article will give you some SSD optimization tips for better performance, so, go through them...