Windows 10: Optimizing NVMe SSD, can it go to sleep?

Discus and support Optimizing NVMe SSD, can it go to sleep? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello all, I know there are countless guides out there for optimizing SSDs yada yada and I know most state that you shouldn't put your SSD to sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cwburns32, Mar 14, 2017.

1. cwburns32 Win User

Optimizing NVMe SSD, can it go to sleep?

Hello all,

I know there are countless guides out there for optimizing SSDs yada yada and I know most state that you shouldn't put your SSD to sleep and I haven't in the past (on my 850 Pro or 840 Evo prior to that) but I just got a M.2 NVMe PCI-E SSD the other day and was curious if this SSD followed the similar optimizations, i.e. putting the SSD to sleep?

Any other tips when using these types of drives in order to get the best performance out of it?

Thanks!

:)

cwburns32, Mar 14, 2017
  2. PCMK99 Win User

Windows 10 Fall Creators update failing - keeps restoring previous version of windows

Does the update contain an NVME driver for NVME SSD's ???? If not how can it work ?

PCMK99, Mar 14, 2017
  3. Windows 10 became unusable after anniversary update

This is just a windows optimization tread, it doesn't deal with kernel/driver issues. My PC should NOT need any tuning... I have a 6 core CPU, 32GB RAM,a 600$ VGA and an NVME SSD. In fact, beforee the update The pc runs fine without any optimization. I
    do not need to run Windows on a 10 years old hardware, I need a solution for my high-end brand new hardware.

giorgiobusoni87, Mar 14, 2017
  4. Optimizing NVMe SSD, can it go to sleep?

Putting an SSD to sleep is irrelevant, it does nothing. An SSD has no moving parts to put to sleep. A HDD sleeps by parking the head and platters.

When it comes to optimizing SSDs the best advice. Don't. The guides online are hogwash (Like stating sleep is bad). Leave Windows 10 to do its thing its already handling all of it.

logicearth, Mar 14, 2017
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

When not in use it goes into idle state and hardly consumes any energy.
    This varies from brand to brand, your power scheme and how green the drive is.

We are talking a few watts to a couple of miliwatts here.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Mar 15, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    I put my ssd/system to sleep all the time, it only gets mad when I try to wake it up *Sleep

I have it set for 30 minutes, but if I know I`m gonna go eat or something I`ll do it manually.

AddRAM, Mar 15, 2017
  7. kipper Win User
    All or at least most of all those SSD optimizations have out lived their purpose......in the early days of Solid State Drives some optimization was needed for the older operating systems to work with the SSD controllers.......

kipper, Mar 15, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

All you have to do is make sure it`s aligned, the installer should do that automatically, but it`s always good to check.

AddRAM, Mar 15, 2017
  9. cwburns32 Win User
    Thank you all for chiming in here. Just going to let it do it's thing and not bother with it.

By the way....NVMe speeds are BLAZING quick, a 960 Evo 250GB was only $129.99 which was slightly surprising to me. Of course this was an easy decision for me because I already had an 512GB 850 Pro and a 1.5TB (soon to be 5TB) WD Black w/ 128MB cache to store all my games, programs, data, etc. Just the OS and a few other programs are on the NVMe SSD.

Thanks again all!

cwburns32, Mar 15, 2017
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Yep, have a couple of Patriot Hellfire myself.
    Watch out for heat though. (Thermal throttling)

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Mar 15, 2017
  11. cwburns32 Win User
    Mine sits in a M.2 shield that helps with heat dissipation *Wink

cwburns32, Mar 15, 2017
  12. logicearth, Mar 16, 2017
  13. Cliff S New Member

The only extra thing I do,
    is turn off Link State power management under PCI Express in Power options,

Optimizing NVMe SSD, can it go to sleep? [​IMG]

or Link Power Management in Intel RST

Optimizing NVMe SSD, can it go to sleep? [​IMG]

Cliff S, Mar 16, 2017
  14. cwburns32 Win User
    cwburns32, Mar 17, 2017
  15. fdegrove Win User
Thema:

1. Optimizing NVMe SSD, can it go to sleep? - Similar Threads - Optimizing NVMe SSD

2. Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should I disable Defragment & optimize drives in Windows 10 with a NVMe SSD?: As the title says, my question is, should I disable the Defragment and Optimize drives? I have a NVME SSD and by default this feature in turned on in Windows 10. So is it recommended? Or should I disable it?...
  3. nvme auto optimize on ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    nvme auto optimize on ?: Hi experts, I want to ask if I should turn off schedule optimization for my C:\ nvme drive or keep it on ? 177081
  4. optimize ssd or not

optimize ssd or not: Hi, I'm reading all kind of things about obtimizing my ssd or not using Windows "Defragment and Optimize Drives". Apparently there is or was a bug with Windows wrongly degramenting the ssd. What should I do now ? Keep "Scheduled optimization" turned off for my ssds ? Or...
  5. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I know this has been beaten to death. The answer seems to depend upon the person answering. I cannot figure out whether I should turn windows on or off and if on, for what frequency a month or a week. Thee is a lot of Google gossip that all SSDs should not be optimized then...
  6. question regarding optimization of the m.2 nvme ssd's and power plans

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    question regarding optimization of the m.2 nvme ssd's and power plans: i recently got 970 evo plus 500gb version of samsung's m.2 nvme ssd, i would like to know how could i improve the performance, i already disabled hibernation, did a few tweaks such as disabling the system protection, disabling windows search from services, but i would like to...
  7. NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVME SSD: Do all versions of Windows 10, including business (Volume license), have built in NVme drivers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvme-ssd/4df34df6-e834-425b-b1c1-716012fe31a6
  8. SSD Optimization

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD Optimization: I've recently had to install the 1903 Feature Update. I had delayed this by changing settings to indicate I was on a metered connection and Microsoft gave me the option to update. Eventually they must have lost patience and I no longer had the option. Previous Feature updates...
  9. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I don't know anything about the SSD in my machine. I have Windows optimizer set for monthly as I thought we should do. Please correct me if I am wrong. Then I read the following and wonder if all this is necessary for the average user to treat the SSD properly? Things You...
  10. Optimize SSD

Optimize SSD: Since I've installed a SSD, When I run Optimize it says never run-needs optimization. It will never run on it. Any suggestions? [img] 66691

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvme would it sleep

2. Optimizing NVMe