Windows 10: Optimizing SSDs is bad?

Discus and support Optimizing SSDs is bad? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been in the habit of going into the "defragment and optimize drives" menu and noticing that it will say something like "20 days since last run"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Abc123, May 16, 2016.

1. Abc123 Win User

Optimizing SSDs is bad?

I've been in the habit of going into the "defragment and optimize drives" menu and noticing that it will say something like "20 days since last run" even though it's scheduled for weekly.. Not sure why.. so I always click "optimize" and do it manually for both "Windows (C: )" and "Recovery Image" (both are SSD). The other two things in the list say "never run" and "needs optimization" but nothing happens when I click optimize. Anyway, I just came upon a blog post that says you're not supposed to optimize SSDs and this shortens their lifespan. So is what I've been doing bad? Should I stop doing this?

:)

Abc123, May 16, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Optimization not available Windows 10 Pro

An SSD shouldn't be defragmented. It's not really necessary and will shorten the SSD's useful life.

That's why Microsoft changed the name from 'defragment' to 'optimize.' For a HDD, 'optimize' means defragment; for an SSD, 'optimize' means running the TRIM command and performing a procedure known as 'garbage collection.' If you have a hybrid, both definitions
    apply to the respective components.

Whatever the type of drive, Windows checks whether it needs to be optimized on a regular schedule, but the procedure only happens when it's actually necessary. Improvements in HDD and SSD logic make regular optimization less necessary.

BulldogXX, May 16, 2016
  3. SYSReserved on SSD win10pro 64 !

hello, y cant i optimize my SYS Reserved on SSD ? or just optimize the SSD and will do it for me behind the scene ? thanks

ChefHasan G, May 16, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Optimizing SSDs is bad?

BunnyJ, May 16, 2016
  5. Abc123 Win User
    How much damage have I done? I've probably done this 50 times over the course of the 1 year I've had the laptop.

Abc123, May 16, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    You should be fine. I would not do it again.

Jeff

BunnyJ, May 16, 2016
  7. Abc123 Win User
    Thanks. I'm wondering why it even allows you to do this, then? Particularly without a warning message or anything

Abc123, May 16, 2016
  8. Abc123 Win User

Optimizing SSDs is bad?

Also, why is it an automatically scheduled task? This seems ridiculous. Should I turn that off?

Abc123, May 16, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    if both your drives are SSD's then the optimize Windows is doing is nothing but using the TRIM Command which does NOT Harm your SSD at all, and IS normal. *Smile
    Windows 10 does recognize the difference between a Spinner drive and an SSD drive.

OldMike65, May 16, 2016
  10. Abc123 Win User
    Excellent news...thanks

Abc123, May 16, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    No problem , I also have two SSD's and 1 spinner drive on my Windows 10 Pro. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Optimizing SSDs is bad?

1. Optimizing SSDs is bad? - Similar Threads - Optimizing SSDs bad

2. a question about ssds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    a question about ssds: i want to know that will my ssds suddenly fail or be unable to write, i got a laptop which is only has two m.2 nvme slots and i also added second ssd, so should i worry about unexpectable failure after a long time having written files on it or it can give signals of upcoming...
  3. M2 SSDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M2 SSDs: Motherboard: Intel B560Processor: i511400OS: Windows 11SSD: Western Digital 2TBWindows won’t recognize me M2 SSD and I’m not sure why, I went to disk management and nothing. I went to the BIOS and it’s not showing there either. I used the cmd tool and put in the command’ disk...
  4. M2 SSDs

M2 SSDs: Motherboard: Intel B560Processor: i511400OS: Windows 11SSD: Western Digital 2TBWindows won’t recognize me M2 SSD and I’m not sure why, I went to disk management and nothing. I went to the BIOS and it’s not showing there either. I used the cmd tool and put in the command’ disk...
  5. 2 ssds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 ssds: Hi. My pc is showing 2 ssds but I only have 1 ssd. How can i get rid of this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-ssds/6eaec8db-61a6-4e48-86da-fe7170c83e69
  6. 2 ssds

2 ssds: Hi. My pc is showing 2 ssds but I only have 1 ssd. How can i get rid of this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-ssds/6eaec8db-61a6-4e48-86da-fe7170c83e69
  7. 2 ssds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. The disc optimizer tool is still optimizing HDDs and SSDs multiple times a day every day...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The disc optimizer tool is still optimizing HDDs and SSDs multiple times a day every day...: can you fucking fix this already ? submitted by /u/PandaWorgenVulpera [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k1c107/the_disc_optimizer_tool_is_still_optimizing_hdds/
  9. I'm still having issues with scheduled optimization for my SSDs, even after installing the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm still having issues with scheduled optimization for my SSDs, even after installing the...: A couple weeks ago, I manually downloaded and installed the September 8, 2020—KB4571756 (OS Build 19041.508) update, which allegedly contains the fix for the SSD optimization bug. The amnesia portion of the issue is gone. Optimize Drives remembers how many days it's been...
  10. 2 SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 SSDs: Hello Here is the mather. I have 2 SSDs. One is 250go ( where everything is automaticly installed) and another one is 1000go. I would like to transfert everything on my 1TO because the 250Go is 3/4 full. I saw couple of tutorials about images on this forum but it was 2017...