Windows 10: Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD

Discus and support Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a feeling this has been asked before and the answer is “Just leave it, it doesn’t matter” I notice the recovery partition on my SSD is always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MRushbrooke, May 24, 2016.

1. Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD

I have a feeling this has been asked before and the answer is “Just leave it, it doesn’t matter”

I notice the recovery partition on my SSD is always reporting as “Never run” and “Needs optimizing”
    If you chose to optimize it does nothing.

Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD [​IMG]

Any advice on this please?

:)

MRushbrooke, May 24, 2016

2. Windows 10 Defrag

Hopefully I'm in the proper category.

I have Windows 10 and was wondering how one can defrag & optimize the HDD. Though I do not have an SSD installed on my system, it lists my HDD partitions (OS, HP recovery partition, System, Office Click to Run partition) as SSDs. Both the Analyze and Optimize
    buttons are greyed, so I cannot manually initiate a defrag. It is set-up for an automatic weekly defrag. But, how can I run a manual defrag or do I have to set-up as a separate task? I have read the other threads on the defrag issue and none provide a proper
    answer.

I am using Windows 10 (version 1607/anniversary).

Thanks,

David

Doc-Westin, May 24, 2016
  3. Remove Recovery Partition and Go to Recovery Drive During HDD to SSD Upgrade

Thank you Sangeeta,

"delete the recovery partition as part of the cloning of the HDD to the SSD" The meaning of this quote is as follows:

The recovery partition on the HDD will NOT be copied onto the SSD. This differs from most other data on the HDD which will be copied over onto the SSD. The word cloning is used because the emphasis is on having a functioning system on the SSD that truly
    mimics the system that ran on the HDD. Just as a biological clone is the creation of an identical organism with the same behavior.

The specific SSD I have is a Samsung 850 EVO with 250 GB capacity. It comes with migration software. Further study on my part discovered the following from the migration software user guide "OEM Recovery partition created by the computer manufacturer as
    a factory setting will not be cloned". So, Samsung does not carry the recovery partition across to the SSD - just as I wanted.

So, the SSD won't have the 16 GB recovery partition that the HDD had. Incidentally, Acer documentation says that if a new drive is installed, the ability to go back to the "original build factory settings" will be lost. So, they anticipated the loss if
    the drive was replaced. And this is fine by me since I do not want to go back to Windows 7.

The bottom line is that the SSD won't have the recovery partition; I need to create a recovery drive once I have upgraded to the SSD. (I think it is best to create the recovery drive after the SSD is installed since there are subtle differences between
    the SSD and HDD and the recovery tools should reflect the SSD.)

Edmond Danta, May 24, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD

Try not to let it bother you. It's just a quirk in Windows 10. There is no need to optimize the recovery partition.

NavyLCDR, May 24, 2016
  5. Ahh ok, thanks for replying.

MRushbrooke, May 24, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The recovery partition gets written to once, when Windows gets installed, and it only gets read from when you restart to the recovery menu. The only reason it is listed as "needing optimation" is because Windows never optimizes it because it is excluded due to being a recovery partition.

NavyLCDR, May 24, 2016
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

TS may want to turn on automatic optimization though.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD

1. Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD - Similar Threads - Optimizing Recovery Partition

2. No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD: I have used Aomei Backupper to clone a Windows 10 Pro SATA3 SSD to a new NVMe M2 SSD. It went well and I now have a new boot drive but the cloning process did not copy over the Recovery Partition from the original SSD. Is that a problem? Thanks 179622
  3. SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition: Win 10 v 1909. I have never run into this before. An SSD with a 1tb HDD as recovery partition. Can someone tell me how this is done because I want to make 1tb hdd separate. New Lenovo 510A Thanks [img] 156079
  4. Partition Optimization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Partition Optimization: I have 2 partitions 1 of which is for the OS. This one is stuck at 4% fragmented and when I try to optimize it analyzer's it but doesn't go any further. Is this normal and if not what can I do to get it to optimize?...
  5. SSD Optimization

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD Optimization: I've recently had to install the 1903 Feature Update. I had delayed this by changing settings to indicate I was on a metered connection and Microsoft gave me the option to update. Eventually they must have lost patience and I no longer had the option. Previous Feature updates...
  6. SSD optimize

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD optimize: I don't know anything about the SSD in my machine. I have Windows optimizer set for monthly as I thought we should do. Please correct me if I am wrong. Then I read the following and wonder if all this is necessary for the average user to treat the SSD properly? Things You...
  7. Recovery partition needs optimization

Recovery partition needs optimization: When I upgraded to the Creators Update, I have noticed that the Recovery partition of my hard drive reads 13% fragmented. I have tried defragmenting it, but nothing happens. Having mild OCD, how do I remedy this? 81972
  8. Optimize OEM "Recovery" Partition on Schedule?

Optimize OEM "Recovery" Partition on Schedule?: Hi: Will Win10 automatically "optimize" my SSD "Recovery" drive on schedule? I have reviewed this excellent tutorial (Optimize Drives Schedule Settings - Change in Windows 10) The System Drive and Data Drive are being automatically optimized (TRIM for the SSD and...
  9. Defragmenting (Optimizing) SSD Win 10 Recovery & EFI Partitions ?

Defragmenting (Optimizing) SSD Win 10 Recovery & EFI Partitions ?: Hi I have a Sandisk 240GB SSD with Win10 installed and I have the built in defragment/optimizer task scheduled to TRIM out the OS partition of the drive on a weekly basis, however, I didn't know whether or not to have it optimize the other system partitions as well...the...
  10. Recovery partitions on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery partitions on SSD: I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with a 120GB SSD and a 1TB hard disk. I have the OS on the SSD (C:\) together with the programs. So far I have installed Office 365 and little else. I have moved the data directories from C:\Users to the D: drive. The laptop came with no...