Windows 10: Option to uninstall unavailable from Start Menu

Discus and support Option to uninstall unavailable from Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Apparently, I have yet another problem with Windows 10. I noticed today on my laptop that that when I right click on an application from the start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moondoggy, Sep 2, 2015.

1. moondoggy Win User

Option to uninstall unavailable from Start Menu

Apparently, I have yet another problem with Windows 10. I noticed today on my laptop that that when I right click on an application from the start menu there are options such as Pin to Start, Pin to Taskbar, Uninstall, Run as Administrator and Open File Location. However, when I right click on an application on my desktop PC, the only option I have available is Pin to Start. Has anyone seen this behavior and have fixed there PC so it shows the other options? If so, let me know how you fixed it.

:)

moondoggy, Sep 2, 2015

2. Unable to find uninstall option in start menu for applications that are downloaded from Windows store.

I ran the troubleshooter with admin privileges but it couldn't identify the problem. Also I checked for updates but none are pending. However, I feel that the problem is not with the updates as the option is missing for all apps and not just for a select
    few. And as for your query, yes the apps can still be uninstalled from the settings page.
    Option to uninstall unavailable from Start Menu [​IMG]

Option to uninstall unavailable from Start Menu [​IMG]

ShahryarSaify, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Unable to find uninstall option in start menu for applications that are downloaded from Windows store.

Hi,

Which Application are you trying to Uninstall? Some of the preinstalled apps may not have an option to uninstall.

There might be some system files conflicting to cause this issue.

I suggest you to follow some methods which helps you resolve the issue.

Method 1: Perform a SFC scan (System file checker) scan.

How to use the System File Checker tool:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2: Run the DISM tool and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X and select the Command prompt (admin)
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, enter the following commands.
    • Press the Enter key after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type
      Exit, and then press Enter.
    • Restart the machine and check
      if the issue persists.

Please post to us with more information and results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Sep 2, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Is the account you are logged into on the desktop an administrator account?

NavyLCDR, Sep 2, 2015
  5. fredc Win User
    I was under the impression that you can only uninstall certain app's in the start menu , some show the uninstall option and some just show the "pin to taskbar " etc ...

fredc, Sep 2, 2015
  6. moondoggy Win User
    My problem is that NONE of my applications on my desktop PC have any of these other options. The only option I have is "Pin to Start" and that's all. For example on my laptop and my desktop I have Quicken 2015 installed. On my laptop I have numerous options available from the start menu including the ability to uninstall the app. On my desktop PC the only options available to me is "Pin to Start".

moondoggy, Sep 2, 2015
  7. moondoggy Win User
    Yes, the account is an Administrator.

moondoggy, Sep 2, 2015
  8. moondoggy Win User

Here's something else that I've found that seems to be a related issue.

If I search for something like CMD or Powershell from the search dialog box and you right click on the file in the search results list you should see the option to run as an administrator but on my desktop PC the only thing I see in the context menu is "Pin to start". Note that I can drill down to CMD.EXE or PowerShell.EXE, right click and the option to run as an administrator is present.

This to me looks like a permissions issue or some sort of registry corruption or some group policy thing but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it is. Any help will be appreciated.

moondoggy, Sep 3, 2015
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Describe how you put 10 on each PC.

Did this problem just start ?

I would say do a repair or reset.

AddRAM, Sep 3, 2015
  10. moondoggy Win User
    Both PC's were upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My laptop updated to 10 without any issues thru Windows Update. My desktop PC was another story. I had problem with Windows Update and a Microsoft Tier 2 tech finally ran Windows Repair on my PC from Tweaking.com to finally get my PC to the point where I could upgrade from a Windows 10 Install DVD. Since then I had major problem with Windows 10 that forced me to restore my HD from an Acronis backup taken a day after I updated to 10. Since then my desktop seems to be working just fine except for this context menu thing.

Since I have almost all of my data available on my Acronis backup, mozy and onedrive I have thought long and hard about just nuking the system and reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows 10 but right now I don't have the time to go through the hassle of doing this so I was hoping that someone has had a similar experience and found a way to fix it. To me this simply looks like a registry issue, a permissions issue of some sort and/or some group policy thing that out of whack but who knows what it could be.

moondoggy, Sep 3, 2015
  11. AddRAM Win User
    If it were me, I`d clean install your original OS then upgrade to 10 again, it`ll be perfect.

A fresh copy of 10 ? By that do you mean a Retail 10 Pro version ?

AddRAM, Sep 3, 2015
  12. fredc Win User
    Shane from "Tweaking.com and "PC Wintech" is a great guy , anyways , regarding the issue you have i can't help unfortunately because i really don't know anything which i think is a pretty good reason .

If i knew something i would probably be able to help but thats just not the case , AddRam, however, knows lots of stuff and so does everyone else on the Planet .

I will say this though , i would just do a clean install because in reality it's much faster and not cumbersome at all with this version, i installed it seven times already but thats because i don't know what i'm doing but you do , AddRam thinks it a good idea as well.

You would be done in well under an hour , very fast , no need to wait for 200+ updates to install like Win 7.

fredc, Sep 3, 2015
  13. moondoggy Win User

I never did find an answer to any of the issues I referenced in this thread and I finally gave up and did a reset of Windows 10 which deleted everything on my HD and reinstalled Windows 10. It's kind of a pain to do but in the end it's probably worth it. I used to do a lot of experimentation installing and uninstalling software and over 6 years my system was probably pretty kludged up but now I have a fresh copy of Windows 10 and I'm sure I'll be better off.

moondoggy, Sep 9, 2015
  14. dogpark Win User
    Just wondering how did the reset go. Is all good now?
    Looking at that myself.

dogpark, Sep 9, 2015
  15. moondoggy Win User
    The reset went well. According to what I was told if you tell it to delete everything, it does and then puts down a completely fresh copy of Windows 10. The curious thing for me was if it cleaned everything off the drive, how did it put down a fresh copy of Windows 10? I was told that the download of the OS install files that was made at the time of the upgrade is stashed somewhere, perhaps on another partition or that perhaps a virtual drive is created prior to the wipe of the HD but however it worked, I got a clean copy of Windows 10.

Just something interesting that came in my inbox today is today's copy of Windows Secrets Newsletter where Fred Langa talks about how to reinstall Win 10 via the reset and by doing a total reinstall from installable media. I wish this article had come out last week instead of this week as I would have preferred to have a clean install from DVD but I didn't have all the info I needed. Here's a link to the article.....
    How to clean-install a Windows 10 upgrade | Series | Windows Secrets

Hope this helps.

moondoggy, Sep 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Option to uninstall unavailable from Start Menu - Similar Threads - Option uninstall unavailable

2. Start menu option unavailable since last windows updates Win11 Pro 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu option unavailable since last windows updates Win11 Pro 21H2: It appears that the Start Menu/button is not working. The Start process is not running. The StartMenuEpxerience is not running.Have tried the following to no avail.sfc scannowdism /online **Does anyone know how to resolve this? We have multiple sites affected by this....
  3. Start menu option unavailable since last windows updates Win11 Pro 21H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu option unavailable since last windows updates Win11 Pro 21H2: It appears that the Start Menu/button is not working. The Start process is not running. The StartMenuEpxerience is not running.Have tried the following to no avail.sfc scannowdism /online **Does anyone know how to resolve this? We have multiple sites affected by this....
  4. What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?: What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?If you click on it not only it doesnt starts the appropiate app's uninstall wizard but it opens the "Uninstall or change a program" window the one that's still the same since windows 7 and...
  5. What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?

What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?: What's the point of the "uninstall" option on the context menu of an app on start menu?If you click on it not only it doesnt starts the appropiate app's uninstall wizard but it opens the "Uninstall or change a program" window the one that's still the same since windows 7 and...
  6. How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu: I'm having a lot of trouble finding the answer to the above question.I've recently uninstalled a few programs from Windows 11, however, the names of the programs remain in the start menu but with no icon. When right clicking, it gives the option to uninstall, but obviously...
  7. How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu

How to remove uninstalled items from the Start menu: I'm having a lot of trouble finding the answer to the above question.I've recently uninstalled a few programs from Windows 11, however, the names of the programs remain in the start menu but with no icon. When right clicking, it gives the option to uninstall, but obviously...
  8. Dead start menu entry from uninstalled game.

Dead start menu entry from uninstalled game.: I have a dead "Age Of Empires : Definitive Edition" start menu entry which I cannot remove. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dead-start-menu-entry-from-uninstalled-game/d9cebca9-60ef-4c8d-8a80-c26d68dc1d1c
  9. No recovery options start from advanced startup menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No recovery options start from advanced startup menu: hello everyone, I just ran into this problem after I opened my computer case, I did not damage anything or replace anything, I simply just took off my computer case and put it back on. But it took me straight to the boot menu. I have tried every single option and online...
  10. Sleep mode option disappearing from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode option disappearing from Start Menu: Hello, I have an issue where my Sleep mode button is disappearing from the Start Menu whenever I unplug from the AC power supply and go on battery. See screenshot below. On the left is when I'm AC power and the right is on battery power. See how the Sleep mode button...