Windows 10: Orange dashes blinking above the taskbar

Discus and support Orange dashes blinking above the taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'll explain the circumstances in a moment, but first a couple of pictures so you understand what I am seeing. See the small orange dash (dot? spot?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GeoffW, Oct 20, 2017.

1. GeoffW Win User

Orange dashes blinking above the taskbar

I'll explain the circumstances in a moment, but first a couple of pictures so you understand what I am seeing. See the small orange dash (dot? spot? thing?) just at the top of the taskbar in each of the following images:

This:

Orange dashes blinking above the taskbar [​IMG]

then a second later this:

then a second later two dashes:

and then it repeats

It's not entirely consistent, sometimes the orange dot/dash thing at the top of the taskbar is in just one place, and blinks on for a second and then off for a second, and so on.

This odd behaviour only occurs when the machine has been left idle for a long period (30min or an hour or something), and the moment I start to do anything the little orange dot will be blink quickly a few times and then disappear (happens so quickly that I can't get the task manager up in time to see what process might be causing it).

So far I've only seen it on a particular virtual machine. The host is running VMware Workstation v14 over Windows 10 x64 with latest updates (Creators Update etc.). The guest, where the above images were captured, is also running Windows 10 x64 with the latest updates.

The virtual machine has all sleep options turned off (never sleep the screen or system) as is common on a VM. The VM is running in full screen mode. When I switch back to the VM after not touching it for a long while and I will see these dashes, but almost as soon as I click in the VM they flash quickly for a second and then disappear.

The machine is a development machine and has very little installed other than: vmTools, RAD Studio v10, TinyWall, Firefox, AutoHotKey ... and not much else. The taskbar is locked in position. The machine spends most of its time disconnected from the 'net (external the firewall blocks it), I just let it through occasionally to update.

As far as I can tell there is nothing actually wrong. Everything is stable and working well. I am just very curious about what is painting these orange dashes and why - and whether the patterns have any significance. I've done a lot of searching on the 'net but have not yet found anything that seems to match what I am seeing. So I signed up here to see if you fine people might be able to help. *Smile

:)

GeoffW, Oct 20, 2017

2. exasperating orange taskbar blinking

I there a way to disable the orange blinking of the taskbar ??? every time i "alt-tab" a game the taskbar tab start to blink..

It's exasperating and annoying is there a way to remove this in windows or with a freeware ?

Anyankajenkins, Oct 20, 2017
  3. exasperating orange taskbar blinking

Hi,

Notifications in Windows are present to draw your attention to programs or areas that require your immediate attention. Just to ask, aside from the game you're trying to play, does it also happen to your other applications/programs?
    If yes, can you please provide us with a screenshot of it along with the said orange blinking of the taskbar? You may refer to this

link
    on how to include a screenshot in your post.

Furthermore, we suggest that you update the drivers in Windows 10 as an initial troubleshooting steps. Here's how:

• Select the Start button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.

• Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver. For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right click your graphics card and
      select Update Driver.

• Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

• If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) the name of the device, and select Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

We're looking forward to your response.

PreciousLeb, Oct 20, 2017
  4. GeoffW Win User

The response has not been exactly overwhelming, so I'm guessing not many people have see this. I've seen it again several times over the last week, but the pattern of flashing varies a lot. But as often as I've seen it, I still haven't been able to work out what's doing it. If anyone has any suggestions regarding how to work out what's doing it, they would be appreciated (nothing obvious shows up in Process Explorer).

GeoffW, Oct 29, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    Any way you could shoot some video of this anomaly?

Edwin, Oct 29, 2017
  6. GeoffW Win User
    VMware used to have a video capture feature built-in, but they removed it a few versions ago. An installed product would present problems to activate because the flashing stops as soon as I click or do anything in the machine - and leaving it running for the long period required for the flashing to start could be problematic. Hmm... I suppose I could try something with my phone. What's the best way to link a video to this forum (if/when I capture one)?

GeoffW, Oct 29, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    Upload it to Imgur, or something like that.

Edwin, Oct 29, 2017
  8. GeoffW Win User

Thanks. I will set up the VM and wait for it to show. (Who wants to bet that it plays hard to get? *Wink )

GeoffW, Oct 29, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    This is the nearest I could find in the FAQ at the top of each forum page.

Reading and Posting Messages

Tony K, Oct 29, 2017
  10. GeoffW Win User
    A smartphone does not a smart-person make, so I apologise for the wobbling of the camera and the poor colours etc. Here is a link to Imgur of what I captured just a while ago: https://i.imgur.com/fppefEd.mp4

If you watch carefully, and can avoid getting motion sickness, you will see one dash blinking on the right side and another blinking on the left. After a few seconds I move the mouse down over an icon on the taskbar (but I don't click, I just wait for the hint to popup) and you see the nearest dash flashes quickly and then they both disappear.

GeoffW, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Orange dashes blinking above the taskbar - Similar Threads - Orange dashes blinking

2. Battery is at 100% but indicator light is blinking orange

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery is at 100% but indicator light is blinking orange: Hi there, hello!I have the following problem: My Laptop tells me the battery is fully charged 100%, but the indicator light is blinking orange, as if the battery was very low. The laptop is plugged in the whole time. As soon as I unplug the charger, the laptop immediately...
  3. Dash blink on boot win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Dash blink on boot win10: My laptop is just dead, so I took laptop hdd and insert it on an desktop. I have install the hdd as normaly (with sata and power).The desktop bios recognized it. But when I start to boot an white dash is blinking. What can I do to fix it 181671
  4. Battery fully charged but orange LED is blinking

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery fully charged but orange LED is blinking: My Dell M4800 battery fully charged but the orange LED is blinking. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-fully-charged-but-orange-led-is-blinking/94ba2e16-74e1-4088-a47b-590a7a2f6720
  5. Blinking taskbar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blinking taskbar: After updating my windows after login there is a blinking taskbar without any icons on desktop I can't type a single word in task manager can anyone help me to solve this problem...
  6. How can I turn off these blinking-orange notifications in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I turn off these blinking-orange notifications in the taskbar?: [ATTACH] It really bothers me. Already tried setting "ForegroundFlashCount" and "ForegroundLockTimeout" registers to 0 but it didn't help. https://preview.redd.it/bb1z72ijouk61.png?width=56&format=png&auto=webp&s=d1031bfde1ee4afa05a4655cf7aa25cede6c20e4 submitted by...
  7. black screen blinking dash

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    black screen blinking dash: hello everyone I recently install a brand new windows 10 pro on my desktop and before even the motherboard logo comes up there is this annoying black screen with a blinking dash on left top and it blinks for like 5-10 s and then the motherboard logo and windows, how can I...
  8. Taskbar orange light

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar orange light: I got a problem about orange shining. It used to shine when I get notification in the app, and after opening the app this orange light used to disappear. But now even if I open app and check the notification, it keeps shining orange until I close the app. How I can fix it?...
  9. Disable blinking orange tabs on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable blinking orange tabs on taskbar: I want to disable the blinking orange tabs on the taskbar, for example for Teams notifications, because it's distracting. I tried setting the registry keys HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Control Panel - Desktop - ForegroundFlashCount to 0 and ForegroundLockTimeout to 0 but it doesn't...
  10. Blinking taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Blinking taskbar: I'm having some weird issues with the Windows taskbar and flashing icons. For example, say I drag an image file from my folders to Google Chrome. The first time it'll show up as a minimized window so that I can open the window and drag my file into a new tab. If I then decide...