Windows 10: Original factory BIOS Asus H170 Pro anyone?

Discus and support Original factory BIOS Asus H170 Pro anyone? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am interested to know if there is anyone that can help me with the original BIOS file (your back-up, not downloaded from the asus site)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sara, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Sara Win User

Original factory BIOS Asus H170 Pro anyone?

I am interested to know if there is anyone that can help me with the original BIOS file (your back-up, not downloaded from the asus site) H170-PRO-ASUS-0903.CAP or above. I really apreciate it.

:)

2. Window 10 won;t boot on H170 Pro Gaming

Core I5-6600k

Asus H170 Pro gaming

Asus strix Gtx 1060 o6g oc edition

corsair vengeance 4gbx2

corsair vs650

ssd 120gb

hdd 500gb

I have tried all the port. But anyway i created that bootable usb on mac.

VireakbothSea, Jul 28, 2016
  3. BIOS Update Causes Win 10 Reactivation

Just completed new build with ASUS H170 Pro-Gaming motherboard (Rev. 1.03). I downloaded retail version of Win 10 and then upgraded Win10 to version 1151 (Nov. update). Everything is working so I went to ASUS

website
    to update the ASUS BIOS and drivers and before downloading anything I read that some people were having issues with Win 10 requiring reactivation after they updated their motherboard's BIOS.

Sounds like Win 10 views a BIOS update as a different computer instead of just an update to the existing motherboard's BIOS and requires reactivation. Anyone know if this is a universal issue, or just related to specific motherboards and how to get it resolved?
    Appreciate input.

YosemiteGP, Jul 28, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Which version of the BIOS came on the Asus support CD?

bobkn, Jul 28, 2016
  5. Sara Win User
    I'll go to a friend to check because the laptop doesn't have DVD unit. Could be the factory version? I'll compare using the BIOS site file as well.

6. Kbird Win User
    Yes the CD that came with the MB is bootable and has a bios file on it for emergency repairs

I guess you haven't been able to fix your issues from last week ?

portable USB CD players aren't that expensive if you really need one....

I use the Samsung SE-S084 but there is likely newer versions around now.

Asus usually has all bios files on their Site though , from the initial release through the latest.

none of them suitable?

Kbird, Jul 28, 2016
  7. Sara Win User
    No I didn't fix it.
    My problem was (and still is, I've opened a ticket to asus) related to the fact that the mainboard is stuck into an almost done phase of updating Bios process BUT, I can't access the USB's or any other media storage. pam-pam *Smile game over

I'll update that thread too with the result; anyway as far as I've asked/find, the only method that could work will be replacing the bios chip with another one factory pre-written (there are some voices telling that it looks like the factory BIOS file it's not the same with a site upgrade file, still have to verify this).

8. Kbird Win User

Some Bios's (firmwares) also include an update for the Intel ME Firmware (management engine) and sometimes one of the other firmwares on the Board too , eg the Raid Controller's Bios , if they are being updated at the same time.

Still surprised Crashfree couldn't help , I guess ALT+ F2 didn't work to envoke it ? ( not sure if that is the right key combo for your Board)

KB

Kbird, Jul 28, 2016
  9. bobkn Win User
    I'm moderately confident that the "voices" are saying nonsense. I suppose that a factory EEPROM could be made in such a way that only parts of it are overwritten by subsequent updates, but I don't believe it. (No, I'm not an EE. Retired optical engineer.)

It's too bad that a modern UEFI can be put in such a state where it's too broken to function, but not broken in such a way that the BIOS recovery feature isn't invoked.

bobkn, Jul 29, 2016
  10. Sara Win User
    Make sense; if one of the above mentioned is broken (and it looks like it is as long as don't have the choosing boot device dialog anymore), could be a reason. On the other hand as you've mentioned the CrashFree refuse to start perhaps because it thinks that everything is normal there as long as I am able to access the UEFI screen; Unfortunately there are limited possibilities described in the other post. By the way, If I choose Network update method, (after the hard reset) the pc reboot and get me to the F1 stage, can't load anymore that dialog where we are able to choose mac address and so on.

Alt+F2, F11, CTRL+Home, I've tried all these shortcuts, using formatted visible (in other systems) USB sticks, one partition, FAT 32/16 etc bootable, non bootable, .CAP file renamed, non renamed, blind CrashFree, waiting more than 10 minutes in different sessions, no activity on USB blinking led.

11. Kbird Win User
    Did you have a Floppy Drive ? It doesn't see USB Drives right ? As Intel's FPT Tools may work from a bootable floppy (or USB as FDD? )

You can find Award Bios Tools ( click link) and AMI UEFI Bios Tools including FPT on this page ... scroll down.

Latest Overclocking Programs, System Info, Benchmarking, Stability Tools

Kbird, Jul 29, 2016
  12. Sara Win User
    Thank you but I'll wait for Asus response first, I've opened a ticket.
    Anyway, as long as I don't have anymore the choosing Boot device dialog I doubt that the floppy will show up.
    More than that, I'm a little concern about FPT tool, I've read some things about it here. It can be tricky and I don't have too much knowledge in his usage. It can program a region or entire regions of the Bios. In my case could be a single region (the bios update) broken. If I "manage" and erase or brake other regions too I'm done *Smile)

13. Kbird Win User

No I agree wait for Asus , though I am not sure how long that might take ?

Most bios's on older computers default to booting from a floppy drive 1st , if attached , so I thought that might work?

I use WinRaid for alot of information and Drivers , but alot of that information is way above the average Home User , in it's most basic form FPT just takes you provided renamed bios File ( see below) and reprograms the bios if it can find it , which may require a version for your board/chipset ( or not ) as can be seen at TweakTown.

ie this is the how to file in the FPT Tool I have

- add the BIOS file you want to flash and rename it "bios.bin"
    - start AUTOEXEC.BAT
    - flash started ... wait for "FPT Operation Passed"
    - restart with CTRL+ALT+DEL

My new Asus Board with Flashback does not even require a CPU to be installed to Flash a Bios ....as long as it sees the USB Drive in the Flashback port of course , which is your big issue now.

Might be worth while buying one of those $6 SPI programmers and trying that on your laptop.......

*** Funny just saw your post on WinRaid and Pluto said the same thing *Smile

Kbird, Jul 30, 2016
  14. Kbird Win User
    I am not sure it is an option now but I just read that since your board does not have Flashback capability you can also use AMI's AFUDOS Flash utility too , it is available from AMI at the bottom of this page and is AMIBIOS8 Firmware Utility.

there is a text file and PDF in the zip Package below

American Megatrends Inc. - BIOS/UEFI Firmware Support

direct link to file
    American Megatrends Inc. - Download License Agreement

*** Note ...I am not sure which AMI UEFI Bios you actually have AMI8, Aptio 4 or Aptio 5 . you would n eed to do more research.

Here's hoping Asus just sends you a new Chip *Smile

Kbird, Jul 30, 2016
  15. Sara Win User
    Thank you for you complete posts *Smile
    Yea, At first I thought that it will be pretty easy to roll back the previous version of the Bios or something then, getting deeper into this subject I've realized that the process is pretty complex. FTP, AMI, a specific programmer (not every cheap programmer like CH341 supports my chip) preserving the chip ID's into the new bios sequence, the header capsule which should be removed in .CAP file, taking in consideration the fact that as I've said above I have to erase/ write only a specific part of the bios not the whole thing ...this is to much, that's why I've opened the ticket; meanwhile, I just have to wait *Biggrin

Solved, details here. Thank you all.

Thema:

1. Original factory BIOS Asus H170 Pro anyone? - Similar Threads - Original factory BIOS

2. Does anyone know the origin of this version of Windows 8 Pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does anyone know the origin of this version of Windows 8 Pro?: I accidentally got this copy of Windows 8 Pro this year, but it doesn't look like the regular Windows 8 boxFirstly, it is not any of the 5 packaging of Windows 8, and the COA label is attached to the bottom of the box, and secondly, there is only "Windows Reimagined" on the...
  3. Does anyone know the origin of this version of Windows 8 Pro?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does anyone know the origin of this version of Windows 8 Pro?: I accidentally got this copy of Windows 8 Pro this year, but it doesn't look like the regular Windows 8 boxFirstly, it is not any of the 5 packaging of Windows 8, and the COA label is attached to the bottom of the box, and secondly, there is only "Windows Reimagined" on the...
  4. Stuck in bios Asus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in bios Asus: I upgraded my gpu and then my pc kept opening the bios menu. I then replaced with my old gpu and it works So what should I do, is it a software or a hardware problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-in-bios-asus/eaaf0484-4d0d-4c6b-90de-a56a852965f0
  5. Stuck in bios Asus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in bios Asus: I upgraded my gpu and then my pc kept opening the bios menu. I then replaced with my old gpu and it works So what should I do, is it a software or a hardware problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-in-bios-asus/eaaf0484-4d0d-4c6b-90de-a56a852965f0
  6. Stuck on ASUS Bios

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck on ASUS Bios: I am stuck on ASUS bios. I have reset the default settings and restarted the computer. It didnt work. I then tried the instructions already posted about changing the boot secure, csm support and pressing f9 while the computer is restarting. It takes me directly back to the...
  7. Asus factory reset w10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asus factory reset w10: I used method 2 on factory reset Shift, restart,troubleshoot,reset pc,remove eveything, recovermy files ,rsset .. and now my asus x555d is stuck on loading (circle). The only function that works is F2. Please help....
  8. Factory resetting a windows 10 asus vivobook pro

Factory resetting a windows 10 asus vivobook pro: My microsoft account got hacked so I can’t sign into my laptop rendering it useless. I need to factory reset it to open it back up with a different account but the methods I’ve seen online aren’t working. Pressing f9 from boot didn’t do anything and holding shift over the...
  9. ASUS Z170 Pro Gamer Bios Update v 3606

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ASUS Z170 Pro Gamer Bios Update v 3606: Finally Z170 Pro Gamer Bios Updated on ASUS site. I guess it should include the microcode fixes for the recent security threats spectre and meltdown although notes make zero mention of it. Just for those who might be waiting for it. I already had the WU microcode fix...
  10. Original Factory Recovery

Original Factory Recovery: I have a Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop that I did a clean install of Windows 10 TR 9926. Is there anyway to get back to Drive D: which has the original factory programs etc. on it and re install it and take off windows 10. Larry 4526

Users found this page by searching for:

1. h170 pro gaming bios dump