Windows 10: Original HDD...

Discus and support Original HDD... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Now that I'm running my WIndows 10 machine with an SSD, I'm wondering what to do with the original HDD. I've done nothing with it at this point since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jbdiesellife, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Original HDD...

Now that I'm running my WIndows 10 machine with an SSD, I'm wondering what to do with the original HDD. I've done nothing with it at this point since it still has that recovery partition from the manufacturer (Dell) on it.

The computer did not come with recovery disks. That's why I haven't put it in an enclosure and used it as an external drive. Is there a way to create a recovery disk from the HDD so I have it like the manufacturer sold it to me should I need to send it in for repairs?

:)

jbdiesellife, Jan 22, 2016
  2. omenshyne Win User

What HDD is in the Booklet?

For those of you who have upgrades HDD's and have their original HDD close by can you tell me the model HDD it is? I dont have my original HDD anymore and need to send my Booklet in for repairs. I may try and buy back the sata that came with it so i can
    have my machine maintenanced under warranty.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

omenshyne, Jan 22, 2016
  3. SimB2015 Win User
    Black screen after windows 10 update, no BIOS splash screen, HDD light off.

1) I never said that the fan was getting noisy. (though original OP did on his)

2) Motheboard / CPU / memory.

Nothing points to any of these. (in my case)

Original HDD worked with Win 7 up to a specific date.

Original HDD did not work after window update.

Orignal HDD worked again once restored to before the update.

New HDD = the machine works perfectly.

The only 2 glaring obvious suspects are the HDD & the Window update.

Re: "You can blame Windows 10 if you like "

I certainly will include them in the 2 suspects - given the above, I feel I have justified why.

SimB2015, Jan 22, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Original HDD...

What OS was on original drive?

cereberus, Jan 22, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    If it's an old laptop HDD then get a SATA-< USB2 (or better USB3) adapter - connector and use as an external HDD. You can then run Linux / baclup software etc and use it as storage for backups etc.

If it's a desktop HDD then get an enclosure and do the same thing - don't throw awau -these old HDD's are good for extra storage / archive / backup etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 22, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    I think OP wants to keep the recovery partition so he can put pc back to factory state.

cereberus, Jan 22, 2016
  7. Win 10 Home.

8. Original HDD...

That's exactly what I want.

9. Can that recovery partition be burned to a bootable dvd?

10. Word Man Win User
    Yes. I would swap the HDD back into the laptop, boot from it into Windows and Run Dell Backup and Recovery. Within DBAR, you can create factory restore media (DVD, USB flash Drive, or USB external HDD) from what is in the factory restore partition. THEN, re-swap, and you can reformat the HDD and use it in an enclosure. This is exactly what I did with my laptop (see System Specs) soon after I purchased it.

I use that HDD in enclosure for Macrium Reflect images (one off) in addition to MR daily images across Wifi to another Desktop USB.

USB Flash Drive you may want to consider over DVD. About an 8GB UFD should be correct size and those can be had for cheap $10-$15 or so. I used this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage back in July (much cheaper now) and it worked fine.

Word Man, Jan 22, 2016
  11. Excellent! That's exactly what I'm going to do!

Thank you very much!

12. Word Man Win User
    You're very welcome. Let us know how it turns out or if any questions/issues.

Word Man, Jan 22, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Original HDD...

Hi there

IMO the best way of "Factory state" restores is to create an image immediately you have purchased the PC on to a separate medium say with Acronis or another stand alone backup program.

Now as you've already got Windows running why not image the whole HDD including recovery partition. Then if you can't boot for any reason you've got a bootable "Bare metal" restore -- no need for swapping out HDD's again.

This also works if you replace your entire HDD too. Just restore the recovery partition on to the new HDD and run the recovery program.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 23, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    As PC came with Windows, you can also put hdd back and create your own recovery usb drive from

control panel, recovery, create recovery drive, and select to copy system files.

TBH - this is somewhat redundant for windows 10 as you can easily install from scratch anyway.

Recovery partitions were important back in days of Windows 7, when you had preinstalled windows 7, and needed to use that to reset PC, unless you downloaded an iso, and often used the COA key on blue sticker on base of pc (which also often got lost).

The other reason was the recovery partition often contained drivers not in the standard MS isos (which you cannot now download directly from MS anyway). Windows 10 has much superior driver support, but occasionally the pcs (mainly tablets) have drivers preinstalled not in the standard MS iso, but you can usually download from the web.

What I do is export all third party drivers to a usb stick, using following, just in case you need them in future.

http://woshub.com/how-to-export-driv...indows-8-1-u1/

In all honesty, an OEM recovery partition on a Windows 10 drive must contain a massive amount of Dell bloatware which you probably do not need anyway.

So I would follow Jimbo's advice above, and forget about the whole thing, as you will save it anyway if you ever needed it.

Indeed after you have made backup, you can reclaim that space for your use.

Personally I would shrink OS drive and create a new partition for data as that makes data backup easier as you can back it up separately from C drive, using File History Backup (for example), and create smaller system image backups of C drive. You can also store image backups on new partition for convenience. You need need to copy externally as well in case hard drive fails - I do this less often just accepting I may need to reinstall a couple of things and update virus files etc if my main ssd fails)

Still that is your choice - you could simply expand the C drive as well, but over time image backups can get very large.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Original HDD...

1. Original HDD... - Similar Threads - Original HDD

2. I changed mobo/RAM/CPU. Original install was on HDD. I reinstalled to SSD. Cannot reactive...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I changed mobo/RAM/CPU. Original install was on HDD. I reinstalled to SSD. Cannot reactive...: Hello!I upgraded my mobo/CPU/RAM from AM3+/DDR4 to AM4/DDR5.I have initially installed windows 8.1, which I had upgraded to windows 10 home. This was installed to my hard drive, and that installation is still present as I go about backing up data before formatting it.Instead...
  3. I changed mobo/RAM/CPU. Original install was on HDD. I reinstalled to SSD. Cannot reactive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed mobo/RAM/CPU. Original install was on HDD. I reinstalled to SSD. Cannot reactive...: Hello!I upgraded my mobo/CPU/RAM from AM3+/DDR4 to AM4/DDR5.I have initially installed windows 8.1, which I had upgraded to windows 10 home. This was installed to my hard drive, and that installation is still present as I go about backing up data before formatting it.Instead...
  4. I changed mobo/RAM/CPU. Original install was on HDD. I reinstalled to SSD. Cannot reactive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I install Windows 10/11 on a new SSD, while keeping my original install on my HDD and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I install Windows 10/11 on a new SSD, while keeping my original install on my HDD and...: Hello!I am planning to upgrade my system mobo/CPU/RAM. This will require reinstalling windows. However, I lack the space/access to back up my data on my HDD properly. Currently, I have windows installed on my 1 TB HDD, with a 512 GB SSD recently added to handle game loading.I...
  6. Can I install Windows 10/11 on a new SSD, while keeping my original install on my HDD and...

Can I install Windows 10/11 on a new SSD, while keeping my original install on my HDD and...: Hello!I am planning to upgrade my system mobo/CPU/RAM. This will require reinstalling windows. However, I lack the space/access to back up my data on my HDD properly. Currently, I have windows installed on my 1 TB HDD, with a 512 GB SSD recently added to handle game loading.I...
  7. Can I install Windows 10/11 on a new SSD, while keeping my original install on my HDD and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How to revert back to my original HDD as a primary drive for my win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to revert back to my original HDD as a primary drive for my win10?: Hello! I am unsure of how to switch back to my original HDD after switching to a new NvME SSD as my primary drive. Here is some context-In 2019, a friend of mine recommended switching from HDD to NvME SSD to improve the performance of my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming Laptop....
  9. How to revert back to my original HDD as a primary drive for my win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to revert back to my original HDD as a primary drive for my win10?: Hello! I am unsure of how to switch back to my original HDD after switching to a new NvME SSD as my primary drive. Here is some context-In 2019, a friend of mine recommended switching from HDD to NvME SSD to improve the performance of my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming Laptop....
  10. How to revert back to my original HDD as a primary drive for my win10?