Windows 10: OS believes I have used the letter D for drives and won't give it back

Discus and support OS believes I have used the letter D for drives and won't give it back in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been trying to recover from a broken 1511, 2 apparently failed drives (not real sure about one of them), and getting the OS to have the double... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by alternety, May 14, 2017.

1. alternety Win User

OS believes I have used the letter D for drives and won't give it back

I have been trying to recover from a broken 1511, 2 apparently failed drives (not real sure about one of them), and getting the OS to have the double secret administrator activated.

There are so many things not explained and cause unwanted changes. I activated the super admin account. Then I tried to include my user ID into the administrator group. At some point I was having a popup for everything that could possibly use admin. Every time I started an application previously installed. I fixed that but I am really not sure how. Then I had three logon versions on the boot screen. One for admin, one for me that is a member in the admin group, and one using my ID name but led to a version of the OS that made applications and internal parts crash.

I made the extra name DISAPPEAR (again, not sure how) and now have one for me and one for administrator. There may still be something odd going on with names.

My immediate problem is replacing the failed disk drive that was my D drive. On it was essentially all the data I have. The other drive to fail was the external RAID, which contained the image of the broken D. And I do not have a working backup system because of the broken drive. I have a Mediasonic RAID cabinet. They say I should not attempt RAID 5 (I was using RAID and want to upgrade safety) because some drives will break things. No list of drives that can be used. I am using Seagate 4TB Barracuda drives. I could use some idea if these drives are OK, in addition to my major problem.

THE MAJOR PROBLEM - The OS refuses to let me assign the letter D to the drive. Somehow it thinks it owns that disk somewhere. Much of the assorted data I have on the real D has multiple links from applications running on the C drive. They, obviously, point to D*****. I need to get the new drive set as the sole official D, not E or higher.

I know that is a lot of text, but I tried to help understand what was going on.

:)

alternety, May 14, 2017
  2. SR93 Win User

Windows 10 cannot extend unallocated drive volume

I had the same problem and found the solution here: Extend Volume option is grayed out or disabled in Windows 10/8/7

Basically there must be unallocated space directly to the right of the C drive, normally this space is taken up by the D drive so temporally delete all of it (backing up and data you have on there first) then allocate a portion of the free space you need
    to your C drive (the "Extend Volume" option won't be greyed out and more) and then create a new volume from what's left and give it the letter D.

3. Win 10 anniversary update disappeared my internal secondary hard drive

I have the same Problem.

Harddrive C: with OS fine. Also drive E: was finde. Only D: drive is missing.

Can see it in the disk manager but only half size and grey with stripes. no name no drive letter.

and it is not possible to change name or the drive letter because all is greyed out. only on D: Harddrive.

After a Rollback to the previus build the harddrive was back again and all files still there. i found lots of forums where user post this problem with the missing D drive. must be bug.

TorbenKuhn, May 14, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Can you post a shot of disk Management ?

If you have Raid setup in the Bios, that may have something to do with it.

AddRAM, May 14, 2017
  5. alternety Win User
    It is an external RAID - visible to the computer as a single normal disk. his is not related to the problem with the missing D.

Disk manager knows the problem drive is there and shows properties properly. Just will no longer let me assign D to anything. The list when trying to relabel it starts at E.

alternety, May 14, 2017
  6. jl2509 Win User
    Hi There

Seen this several times before, possible causes are hardware connection issues which would remove the drive and cause the OS to rediscover the drives and reassign letters.
    Sometimes get messed up when reassigning.

Run regedit.exe
    Backup the registry...

Find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->MountedDevices"find lines likeDosDevices\D*BiggrinosDevices\G:
    Changes the letters as required
    Not a good idea to do this on C: or where programs are installed though *Wink

HTH

jl2509, May 14, 2017
  7. alternety Win User
    Thanks, I got to the register entry and there are entries for D and the E that I got as the default when trying to create a D drive.

Unfortunately I have no idea what to do next.

Should I delete the entry for D?

If so, should I do anything with the E that I don't want and just relabel it after deleting the D entry?

I hear scary music in the background when I open the registry.

• *Eek

alternety, May 15, 2017
  8. vgchat Win User

This does not work for you?

OS believes I have used the letter D for drives and won't give it back [​IMG]

As for the dvd or cd drive, scroll further down the disk management and you will find it in the lower left where you can manage it there much like with the menu options shown above.

vgchat, May 15, 2017
  9. jl2509 Win User
    If the scary music is present, don't open the registry

Sorry but I cannot replicate the issue and without hands on, its difficult to understand your complete scenario.

A few screen shots would help us understand what you are seeing when trying to change the drive letters

jl2509, May 15, 2017
  10. alternety Win User
    jl2509,

Discard attempted humor about music. When I get to where you pointed, there are just strings of hex characters for each drive. They vary from short to longer than can be displayed.

My current question is what do I do to "Changes the letters as required". I have no idea what that means.

Do I:
    - delete the entry for the drive letter that I want deactivated so I can assign the letter to a new drive
    - delete the data string for the drive
    - replace the data string with something else

Thanks

If someone has the answer but is in a closer time zone, please tell me.

alternety, May 15, 2017
  11. georgeks Win User
Thema:

1. OS believes I have used the letter D for drives and won't give it back - Similar Threads - believes used letter

2. I have reset my pc and still don’t have my d drive back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have reset my pc and still don’t have my d drive back: I have reset my pc and still don’t have my d drive back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-reset-my-pc-and-still-dont-have-my-d-drive/312f8271-7904-42b3-8c46-b43db5340ccf
  3. I have reset my pc and still don’t have my d drive back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have reset my pc and still don’t have my d drive back: I have reset my pc and still don’t have my d drive back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-reset-my-pc-and-still-dont-have-my-d-drive/312f8271-7904-42b3-8c46-b43db5340ccf
  4. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  5. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  6. Keyboard On My Laptop Won't Type letters back to back.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard On My Laptop Won't Type letters back to back.: If I type the "W" key twice the second "W" won't type without me either pressing the key again or hitting another key. It doesn't matter what key it is either. I have tried turning filter keys on and back off again and also troubleshot "Hardware and Devices" multiple times....
  7. Moving C Drive Files to D drive in order to have dual OS setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving C Drive Files to D drive in order to have dual OS setup: I currently use windows 10, and have a 250gb C drive and a Terrabyte D drive. I mainly store apps on the C and files on the D, but I would like to boot Linux onto my C drive so I can use dual Operating systems. Can I just drag and drop all the files from my C Drive to my D...
  8. I believe, I have ransomware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I believe, I have ransomware: I'm being chased by a ransom ware virus that claims that my computer is randomly sending out my account number and other information. I just got this computer from a repair shop without any protection so I need the best blocker that won't also block any authorized content as...
  9. change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?

change my hard disk drive letter from I: to D: ?: I did: Search Windows > Create and format hard disk partitions > Selected clicked on drive I: > Right mouse click > Change drive letter and Paths... > Change > Assign the following drive letter: In the list of letters I have B G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z My...
  10. Change OS Drive Letter

Change OS Drive Letter: I've got a two hard drive laptop set up and I'd like the OS to be on my faster 256GB OCZ RD400 SSD but with a letter other than C: I don't care what letter, just not C. My larger 1 TB drive, is what I'd like to label as C: without the operating system on it. I use DropBox...