Windows 10: OS does not recognize Homegroup password?

Discus and support OS does not recognize Homegroup password? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; New laptop, first time Win10. I'm not yet ready to deal with the frustration of trying to setup a 'real' network with the other 2 machines so I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by markg2, May 3, 2016.

1. markg2 Win User

OS does not recognize Homegroup password?

New laptop, first time Win10.

I'm not yet ready to deal with the frustration of trying to setup a 'real' network with the other 2 machines so I'm doing a Homegroup temporarily. When prompted for the password, I opened Homegroup on my old Win7 machine and carefully typed the (case sensitive) password that the Win7 machine displayed. The sign in failed. The 'name' was already filled in as 'mark' and that's what is displayed under Users. I have quadrupled checked the password that I entered and it is identical to that displayed on the Win7 machine?

Mark

:)

markg2, May 3, 2016
  2. Markg2 Win User

Windows 10--OS does not recognize Homegroup password?

Method 1

Just pressing the Windows Key results in the black start box containing 'most used', life at a glance', etc and no search box.

I clicked the Cortina icon on the taskbar and used that search box.

Troubleshooting couldn't do anything.

Method 2

There is no 'change the password' link on the homegroup page. The only two links are:

Change advanced sharing settings

Start the homegroup troubleshooter

So before moving to your final suggestion of deleting the file I thought I'd provide particularly the method 2 feedback.

One question before moving forward. Am I correct that homegroup will only provide access to the several OS pre-defined areas as described by radio buttons (printer, documents, etc) and cannot be told to expand access to specific folders and drives? That
    to do same requires abandoning homegroup and using a 'real' network configuration?

Markg2, May 3, 2016
  3. Markg2 Win User
    Windows 10--OS does not recognize Homegroup password?

New laptop, first time Win10.

I'm not yet ready to deal with the frustration of trying to setup a 'real' network with the other 2 machines so I'm doing a Homegroup temporarily. When prompted for the password, I opened Homegroup on my old Win7 machine and carefully typed the (case sensitive)
    password that the Win7 machine displayed. The sign in failed. The 'name' was already filled in as 'mark' and that's what is displayed under Users. I have quadrupled checked the password that I entered and it is identical to that displayed on the Win7 machine?

Mark

Markg2, May 3, 2016
Thema:

OS does not recognize Homegroup password?

1. OS does not recognize Homegroup password? - Similar Threads - does recognize Homegroup

2. Safe mode does not recognize password or PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Safe mode does not recognize password or PIN: Windows 10 Lenovo Ideapad 330s stuck in airplane mode....Trapped in Safe Mode..have correctly used all known passwords and PIN with no effect..Tried Shift Key and Restart to access Trouble shooting with success..attempted Command Prompt with and without Safe Mode GUI then...
  3. Windows does not recognize password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows does not recognize password: Dell Inspirion 1550 Windows 10-64. Attempting to restart in safe mode and windows asking for a password. Have used present and all past passwords, none are recoginized. Unable to connect to network until logon so changing password on line does not work....
  4. Windows does not recognize login password

Windows does not recognize login password: I have a desktop PC Dell running Windows10. It is relatively new. I cannot get it to recognize an MS account to log in to windows Hello. It is messing up my updates, access to MS Store etc. I can't get anything. I have created new accounts, reset password multiple times,...
  5. How to reset homegroup password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset homegroup password: How do I reset my homegroup password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-homegroup-password/6031a9b6-2b24-49ed-9085-66827a358d1d
  6. Windows 10, does not recognize my password!

Windows 10, does not recognize my password!: Hi all! I only want to share my findings with you. I had the same problem. My computer was extremely slow. So i decided to go through my startup settings. I went to MSCONFIG, and chose to reboot the computer with selected startup process option. That was when I noticed...
  7. where is windows10 HomeGroup password

where is windows10 HomeGroup password: can not find windows10 HomeGroup password ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-windows10-homegroup-password/875555a8-6e47-4fd6-9ebd-b69ad72575a7
  8. Homegroup Password?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Homegroup Password?: Where do I find my homegroup password? I can see questions on the forum but I don't know how to view the answers or replies. Thank you, Shirley https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup-password/c32b50ed-6076-46c1-a35a-bc5daae0a932
  9. Homegroup does not exist

Homegroup does not exist: Homegroup does not exist in my laptop although I have win7 and there i can access but when i install win10 i can even find it i searched in Search box in Start I searched in control panal I searched in Setting but Nothing...
  10. Can't get Homegroup Password

Can't get Homegroup Password: Hi, I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. However, the new install still recognizes the old homegroup and I didn't write down the password. Now I can't change the password. When I open up the homegroup window, I can join, change sharing settings, but I can't change...