Windows 10: OS doesn't recognize USB flash drives (KB4056892)

Discus and support OS doesn't recognize USB flash drives (KB4056892) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Just completed Win10 update KB4056892 on my Sony laptop, now running v.1709, build 16299.125. Almost everything is fine except the system no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PhilW, Jan 7, 2018.

1. PhilW Win User

OS doesn't recognize USB flash drives (KB4056892)

Just completed Win10 update KB4056892 on my Sony laptop, now running v.1709, build 16299.125. Almost everything is fine except the system no longer recognizes USB flash drives. When a flash drive (USB2 or 3) is inserted in a port the Device Manager recognizes it as "Other Devices", lists what it is (for example "TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device") but says under Properties: "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device." When I try to update the driver, the Update Drivers feature says "Windows could not find drivers for your device." Device Manager shows no problems under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

I know the drivers for flash drives are somewhere in the system because I have used these ports and flash drives many times prior to KB4056892, but I don't know where they are or how to tell the OS where they are. Suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

PhilW, Jan 7, 2018
  2. J-Cloud Win User

Create Recovery USB does not recognize my USB drive

When I run the Create Recovery USB process I get to the point where I'm asked to insert a USB drive. But the Wizard does not recognize my USB drive.

This is very puzzling. The Win 10 OS does recognize this USB flash drive under all other circumstances I've tried. It's formatted to NFTS.

I can create and save files to it. I can also edit files saved on that USB drive. Device manager says that the USB flash drive is working properly.

Any ideas?

J-Cloud, Jan 7, 2018
  3. USB device not recognized in Windows 10

Original Title: Flash Drives

I have just updated my laptop to Windows 10 and want to download data from a USB 3.0 but the OS does not seem to recognize the flash drive.

DonGourlay, Jan 7, 2018
  4. antspants Win User

Hi Phil, welcome to Ten Forums

I'd like to know out of curiosity have you tried to remove update KB4056892 to see if the flash drives work again?

(Forgive me if you already know how to do this, I don't want to assume)

Uninstall a Windows Update

• Tap on the Windows-key on your keyboard and type remove a program.
    • Select the result add or remove programs from the list of search results.
    • This opens a Windows Control Panel window which lists all installed programs on the system.
    • Select view installed updates on the left side of the window.

To reinstall the update

The Manual update and currently known issues with update KB4056892 can be found here on Ten Forums

antspants, Jan 7, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @PhilW

You probably don't need to uninstall KB4056892 to get this to work again.

Rather than trying to update the driver (which IME never fixes this problem) just uninstall the device in Device Manager (if it isn't currently plugged in you'll need to select 'View > Show hidden devices' to see it). Then plug it in and see if it recognises it.

Bree, Jan 8, 2018
  6. PhilW Win User
    Instead of uninstalling KB4056892 I did a system restore to the day before it was installed. The USB ports are functional again.

PhilW, Jan 8, 2018
  7. m12lrpv Win User
    A similar thing thing happened to me. The update just installed itself last night. The drives show up as drives with a letter but are "inaccessible".
    Device is a probook 650 g2.
    It caused bitlocker to activate (presumably because of it messing with the drives) and killed my usb mass storage.
    So far reinstalling the usb drivers has made no difference. Deleting the devices made no difference.

Presently uninstalling the update and will see how that goes.

Obviously annoyed but will work it out eventually.

m12lrpv, Feb 14, 2018
  8. m12lrpv Win User

Unsuccessful so far. Uninstalling KB4056892 results in KB4074588 being installed and vice versa.

System restore failed.

Not life threatening so will park the problem for now.

m12lrpv, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. OS doesn't recognize USB flash drives (KB4056892) - Similar Threads - doesn't recognize USB

2. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  3. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  4. Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Flash as Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Flash as Recovery Drive: Hi, I am trying to create a recovery drive. When the tool says "Connect a USB drive to your PC", my USB flash drive doesn't appear on the screen as a drive that can be selected, and the "Next" button is grayed out.The flash however is seen in File Explorer and otherwise...
  5. Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Flash as Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Flash as Recovery Drive: Hi, I am trying to create a recovery drive. When the tool says "Connect a USB drive to your PC", my USB flash drive doesn't appear on the screen as a drive that can be selected, and the "Next" button is grayed out.The flash however is seen in File Explorer and otherwise...
  6. Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Flash as Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  8. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  9. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  10. Windows doesn't recognize USB Drive

Windows doesn't recognize USB Drive: I can't access my USB Drive on Windows 10 Education. When I want to delete data/file from USB Drive then they display on the screen "Access Denied" written over there and also same problem occurs for the data/file copy/paste. Even while formatting the USB Drive then they...
Tags: