Windows 10: OS on separate hard drive.

Discus and support OS on separate hard drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to have my Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive from everything on my PC. This would make it easy to organize my PC and I would never have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MrPopa, Aug 20, 2018.

1. MrPopa Win User

OS on separate hard drive.

I want to have my Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive from everything on my PC. This would make it easy to organize my PC and I would never have to reinstall the OS again. The only problem I have is that some of the software and apps that I've installed on other hard drives still want to move their files to where the OS is. I know that there is probably software that needs to be located on the same drive as the OS to function. I'm trying to find a way to prevent that if possible, or I would like to get a notification of some kind if one of my other hard drives wants to edit or move their files to the one with the OS, so that I would know what is being moved there. Is this possible?

:)

MrPopa, Aug 20, 2018
  2. little cat, Aug 20, 2018
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Aug 20, 2018
  4. Mathragh Win User

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Aug 20, 2018
Thema:

1. OS on separate hard drive. - Similar Threads - separate hard drive

2. BSOD on 4 separate Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on 4 separate Hard Drives: Good Day. Can someone plz read my dump file for me, to see if they can help me figure why I have been getting constant BSOD on my PC. 4 different Hard Drives 2 of them New. 1 SSD All doing same thing. BSOD prevent me from even formatting the PC. It’s a Huananzhi x99 F8D with...
  3. BSOD on 4 separate Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on 4 separate Hard Drives: Good Day. Can someone plz read my dump file for me, to see if they can help me figure why I have been getting constant BSOD on my PC. 4 different Hard Drives 2 of them New. 1 SSD All doing same thing. BSOD prevent me from even formatting the PC. It’s a Huananzhi x99 F8D with...
  4. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive: I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, burnt power supply. I was updating to most current Win 10 and the files got corrupted at version 1909 and it won't boot. In Win PE recovery mode I've tried system restore, system reset, advanced...
  5. Upgrading an OS that is on a separate drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading an OS that is on a separate drive?: I have this PC running Win7. For security, I’m planning on upgrading it to Win10. The OS is installed in a SSD while all the files are in a HDD. Ive heard most people say a clean install is better than an upgrade. So, how would I go about installing win10 in my SSD, without...
  6. Move event logs to a separate hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Move event logs to a separate hard drive?: Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to move the event logs to a separate drive in one swoop instead of changing each and every log 1 at a time? It seems like a symbolic link does the job but it still writes to the hard drive as well. Any ideas? 162684
  7. Separate Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate Hard Drive: My C Drive only has 100Gb free. Will I be able to install Microsoft Flight Sim data on the E drive where I have lots of space? Bryan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/separate-hard-drive/a74a3df4-ef72-402b-95d5-6813869a431f
  8. OS hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS hard drive: I recently installed a second hard drive for more data storage and now my computer thinks the OS is on a flash drive and won't update Windows 10. The original hard drive (C:) contains the OS and is identified in the system as bus number 0. The new hard drive (J:) contains...
  9. New hard drive OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive OS: I just installed a new hard drive that supposedly has Windows 10 Pro already activated on it. When I turn the computer on I get a message saying it is not bootable and to insert an OS CD. If I install new Windows 10 drivers, should the preloaded Windows work, or will I need...
  10. Running programs from separate hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running programs from separate hard drive: I have recently installed Windows 10 on a new SSD drive (C) I have two other drives which are not SSD one of which just contains saved data, photos, documents, downloads etc. (E) The other is blank which did contain Windows 7 (D) What I want to know is it possible to download...