Windows 10: OT: Loveworm scam

Discus and support OT: Loveworm scam in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Thought I'd report this incident, in case it's more widespread. My browser is Firefox and one of the many extensions is called Tab Mix Plus. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Terrypin, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

OT: Loveworm scam

Thought I'd report this incident, in case it's more widespread.

My browser is Firefox and one of the many extensions is called Tab Mix Plus. I haven't visited the TMP Forum for a long time. (Maybe never on this new Win 10 PC which is now 10 months old.) I did so this morning to post a question and I clearly used a bookmark which is now no longer valid: [removed by admin]. (Haven't tried it again since, so BE CAREFUL.)

It was immediately hacked (redirected), with the following page displayed:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/Hack.jpg

A continuously looped audio track was played:

"Critical alert from Microsoft. Your computer has alerted us that it is infected with a virus and spyware. If you close this page before calling us we will be forced to disable your computer to prevent further damage to our network...."

The page and Firefox were frozen so I exited via Windows 10 Task Manager.

I'm still trying to find what caused it, probably a PUP, downloaded with some other genuine program when I was less careful than usual during the installation procedure.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Feb 2, 2017

2. When starting Edge I get a screen that says there is a BSOD dll registery error code 0x80060402

BSOD: Dllregistery setting has the error code 0x80060402

Then a note to call a Microsoft certified technician with a 855-xxx-xxxx phone number ot help with the issue. I have to use task manager o quit Edge to get off the screen.

There is also a reference to a Windows Defender error code wich I cannot find in Windows defender.

This is a scam but I don't know how to get this to stop.

Ed Blackman, Feb 2, 2017
  3. Sheena M. Win User
    alcatel ot 902

Hi draganpanovski,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

However, this forum is for issues related to the Windows Phone 7 only.

Kind Regards,

Sheena M., Feb 2, 2017
  4. z3r010 Win User

Please do not ever post infected links on any of our sites.

z3r010, Feb 2, 2017
  5. That is nothing serious, something (a script) has downloaded into you temporary files and ran. Clean your browser's cache (CCleaner) and that is it. I have tested TMP forums, nothing is there, the link is just an empty warning. I was able to close the webpage just fine via Chromium based browser, including the nasty webpage afterwards. *Smile

TairikuOkami, Feb 3, 2017
  6. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks, appreciate your testing it.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Feb 3, 2017
  7. prikker Win User
    If you use the extension Thumbnail Zoom Plus on Fx you can hover above the link and it won't open the infected page, but opens an enlarged image. If it's an image, not if it's the page*Wink

prikker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. OT: Loveworm scam - Similar Threads - Loveworm scam

2. Scam verification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scam verification: I googled Microsoft support and got this nember to calI. Someone answered right away. My internet was down - only on this computer. He went through some steps, but I was concerned it was a scam. Is 877-747-8231 a legitimate support phone number?...
  3. Scam verification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scam verification: I googled Microsoft support and got this nember to calI. Someone answered right away. My internet was down - only on this computer. He went through some steps, but I was concerned it was a scam. Is 877-747-8231 a legitimate support phone number?...
  4. I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer: I fell for their scam now I'm afraid they have access to everything on my computer how do I know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-fell-for-the-scam-now-im-worried-they-have/b6e83e26-3ee1-44d6-b962-692df50c636e
  5. I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer

I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer: I fell for their scam now I'm afraid they have access to everything on my computer how do I know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-fell-for-the-scam-now-im-worried-they-have/b6e83e26-3ee1-44d6-b962-692df50c636e
  6. I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. New Trojan virus scam?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Trojan virus scam?: I got an audible message, not a pop up, stating I have a Trojan virus. It instructed me to call Microsoft. It DID NOT provide a phone number. It DID NOT provide a link. I am fully aware of scams that provide a phone number or link. This was not that. Has anyone experienced...
  8. New Trojan virus scam?

New Trojan virus scam?: I got an audible message, not a pop up, stating I have a Trojan virus. It instructed me to call Microsoft. It DID NOT provide a phone number. It DID NOT provide a link. I am fully aware of scams that provide a phone number or link. This was not that. Has anyone experienced...
  9. New Trojan virus scam?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. scam calling

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    scam calling: so i went on this website and it said my pc has been locked so i called there number for it and it was a scam number and i went on task manager and ended chrome but the thing is i want to bring this to your attention than not know but can i talk to an agent to resolve my...