Windows 10: Other files on an OS usb drive?

Discus and support Other files on an OS usb drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm building a new machine and just used media creator to make a Win 10 USB drive on a 16gb flash drive. Can I store other files in folders or will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CalypsoArt, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Other files on an OS usb drive?

I'm building a new machine and just used media creator to make a Win 10 USB drive on a 16gb flash drive. Can I store other files in folders or will that the system in some way?

:)

CalypsoArt, Feb 21, 2018

2. OS on MBR, other disks GPT

Hi,

Problem

I don't see the Data Disks in the Windows Explorer

History: What I had before the problem occurred (worked fine)

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 4 Partitions / used as Windows Home Server OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk

What I actually have

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 2 Partitions / used as Windows 10 Pro OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    What I see in the Windows Disk Management

• Disk 0: Basic, Online

System Reserved, 500MB NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

(COther files on an OS usb drive? :), 465 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    • Disk 1: Basic, Online

2048 GB, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 2: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 3: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 4: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    What I see in the Windows Explorer

• Local Disk (COther files on an OS usb drive? :)
    What am I doing wrong?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

MarcWampfler, Feb 21, 2018
  3. OS on MBR, other disks GPT

Hello Marc,

The issue that you are facing is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Community. We suggest posting your question in
    TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals who are well-equipped with the knowledge on such issues.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Feb 21, 2018
  4. fdegrove Win User

Other files on an OS usb drive?

Hi,

Yes, you can add files without upsetting the install media.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Feb 21, 2018
  5. Try3 Win User
    Yes, just as fdegrove said. I also do it all the time and have never had a problem.

Before starting to put other files on it, I select everything in the USB's root [all files & all folders] and set them to be hidden.
    • This reduces the chances of my confusing them with files of my own & deleting any of them.
    • This does not hinder their function - you will be able to boot from & run the install media without unhiding them first.
    • [Not very important but... When I hide them and Windows asks if I want to apply the change to the folders themselves or all the contents of the folders, I select choose just the folders. This makes it quicker & simpler yet still achieves what I want.]

Denis

Try3, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Other files on an OS usb drive?

1. Other files on an OS usb drive? - Similar Threads - files usb drive

2. OS files present in both drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS files present in both drives: I recently bought "DELL INSPIRON 3501 i5 11th gen" laptop. From yesterday onwards it started to run slow. And my cousin is saying that the OS files are present in both C Drive as well as D Drive. Please any one help me....
  3. Windows 10 OS USB Drive Failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 OS USB Drive Failure: For about 1.5 years now on and off, I've been trying to fix this Windows 10 OS, to work and boot with my PC. I tried again today and it showed the same message as it always does. Many people have told me to just put it in another computer and un-corrupt it, but every time I...
  4. Windows 10 OS USB Drive Failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 OS USB Drive Failure: Hi, a while ago about 10-11 ish months I ordered a Windows 10 USB OEM from the Microsoft online store. I tried to put it into my pc keep in kind this was still 10-11 months ago and it wouldn't let me in. I don't 100% remember what It said but I just decided to put it down and...
  5. USB drive doest not detect in host os but gets detected in guest os

USB drive doest not detect in host os but gets detected in guest os: my usb drive is not getting detected on my laptop which has Windows 10 OS I executed drvierquery command its output is following but the same pen drive gets detected in vmware virtual machine on Windows 10 and I can see all files. I have attached output of driverquery in...
  6. USB drive doest not detect in host os but gets detected in guest os

in Windows 10 Support
    USB drive doest not detect in host os but gets detected in guest os: my usb drive is not getting detected on my laptop which has Windows 10 OS I executed drvierquery command its output is following but the same pen drive gets detected in vmware virtual machine on Windows 10 and I can see all files. I have attached output of driverquery in...
  7. Moving OS to other drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to other drive: Hello everyone, as the title says, I want to move the OS to another drive, but, I want to do that without removing the other files on it. I also wouldn't really like to reinstall WIndows, but if absolutely necessary, I will do that. Can anyone be of help for me?...
  8. USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.: Very frustrating. My portable hard drive won't safely remove but other thumb drives do remove safely. Tried all sorts of tips, non work so far. The drives that can't be removed show up and can be used but the activity light on the drive just constantly pulsates in a rhythm,...
  9. USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.: Very frustrating. My portable hard drive won't safely remove but other thumb drives do remove safely. Tried all sorts of tips, non work so far. The drives that can't be removed show up and can be used but the activity light on the drive just constantly pulsates in a rhythm,...
  10. New Member: File History doesn't see USB drive (and other questions)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    New Member: File History doesn't see USB drive (and other questions): Sorry if these have been asked and answered (maybe more than once). I am trying to use File History to back up certain directories on my C: Drive. 1. I have two self-powered USB Hard Drives connected through a hub at all times (labelled E: and F: in File Manager). File...