Windows 10: Outdated drivers not caught by Update.

Discus and support Outdated drivers not caught by Update. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was poking around in Device Manager when I started finding drivers for critical stuff that would update if you did it manually. The problem is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Astrogoth, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Astrogoth Win User

Outdated drivers not caught by Update.

I was poking around in Device Manager when I started finding drivers for critical stuff that would update if you did it manually. The problem is that Windows Update didn't do it automatically. I found 5 of them!

So if you have issues with some hardware I suggest you do a manual driver update check.

:)

Astrogoth, Oct 11, 2014
  2. Solaris25 Win User

outdated display drivers through windows update

Every time i update windows 10 to a new version windows insists on reinstalling an old amd display driver from 2015 and i have to remove it and install the current one again. Is there any way i can block that driver installation?

Solaris25, Oct 11, 2014
  3. Outdated Montior Driver

Yes, I am helping someone who has the same issue with the Acer Monitor G225HQ, and it seems we have resolved the matter.

In Device Manager, the Display Adaptor now shows as 3DP (ATI) Raedon 2100.

And under Monitor in Device Manager, it shows Genreric PnP Monitor.

This set up makes the Acer G225HQ screen function, even though the driver under Display Driver shows as a Raedon driver.

To obtain that driver, we used one of the free versions of a driver scanner and used the only suggestion that one of those scanners came up with.....and that ended up fixing the monitor problem.

Maybe a search for the Raedon driver online might work out OK.

We used 3 free driver scanning tools....DriverMax, Iobit Driver Booster & Slim Drivers - one of those (forget which one) showed an updated driver available...which did not indicate anything to do with Acer...but we let it install that driver and now we have
    success.

Let's hope it stays that way.

And maybe this report might help the enquirer.

Charles AU, Oct 11, 2014
  4. stevieray Win User

Where did you find Device Manager? I cannot seem to figure out where they hid it.

stevieray, Oct 12, 2014
  5. Phone Man Win User
    Right click the Start orb. Its the same as Windows 8.1.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Oct 12, 2014
  6. stevieray Win User
    Ahhh...
    I don't have much experience with 8.X... I tried the Beta, but didn't like it much.
    Thanks for the pointer!

stevieray, Oct 12, 2014
  7. Windows update will only do it if Microsoft has the newer driver. If the OEM does not submit the driver to Microsoft you don't get it via Windows update. The ones on Windows update are usually generic ones anyway so I prefer to go to the manufacturer for the latest driver anyway.

alphanumeric, Oct 19, 2014
  8. Astrogoth Win User

Um, no that's not what I meant. My Win 10 knows there are newer updates available, it just won't update them by itself. When I did it manually it was happy after a reboot and is still stable a week later. The drivers I updated were not the kind that have a generic available. They were MS Windows internals.

Astrogoth, Oct 20, 2014
  9. adamf Win User
    Did you install WMC by any chance? You don't get updates if you do I believe...

adamf, Oct 20, 2014
  10. Kari Win User
    If automatic installation of updates is enabled it is also worth a check if Recommended updates are set to be auto downloaded and installed, too:

Outdated drivers not caught by Update. [​IMG]

Drivers are mostly categorized as optional recommended updates and will not be automatically installed if this selection is not enabled.

However as there are still just a few (practically none) drivers made for Windows 10 the Windows Update might not and most probably won't catch and recommend them to users. As far as I know the manual check from Device Manager treats Windows 10 TP as Windows 8.1 and searches 8.1 drivers, this might cause a situation where Windows Update does not show an update but Device Manager driver update finds one.

11. adamf Win User
    I didn't install my key as MS do said that you wouldn't - was just a thought *Smile
    Media Center on Windows 10 Technical Preview - Microsoft Community

adamf, Oct 20, 2014
  12. Ops, *Redface Sorry you are correct, adding Media Center to Windows 10 will stop you form getting updates. I lost track of what forum I was in and was thinking Windows 8.1 not 10. I go back and forth between 10 forums and 8 forums. Especially first thing in the morning when I check my e-mail. I'll have to change the theme in one of them to make it easier to spot where I am.

EDIT: I deleted my other post with the misinformation in it.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Outdated drivers not caught by Update. - Similar Threads - Outdated drivers caught

2. Outdated drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outdated drivers: My Norton software keeps telling me I have drivers out of date and want to charge me to update them! Can I do this for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outdated-drivers/586d67ca-5e0b-4416-ab97-b70a66724f38
  3. Outdated drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outdated drivers: My Norton software keeps telling me I have drivers out of date and want to charge me to update them! Can I do this for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outdated-drivers/586d67ca-5e0b-4416-ab97-b70a66724f38
  4. Outdated drivers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Rename or update outdated driver usb2ser.sys

Rename or update outdated driver usb2ser.sys: Dear community,I can’t turn on core isolation due to outdated drivers, usb2ser.sys and ftdibus.sys.I followed the suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outdated-driver-usb2sersys/cd395ce7-ff6e-4bc0-a702-93ac048aff9c but it requires system...
  6. Rename or update outdated driver usb2ser.sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename or update outdated driver usb2ser.sys: Dear community,I can’t turn on core isolation due to outdated drivers, usb2ser.sys and ftdibus.sys.I followed the suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outdated-driver-usb2sersys/cd395ce7-ff6e-4bc0-a702-93ac048aff9c but it requires system...
  7. Windows updating outdated drivers for AMD

Windows updating outdated drivers for AMD: Every time I update windows, it downloads and installs outdated AMD graphics drivers and I had to uninstall old graphics driver and install the latest one again and this takes like 8 hours of my time every time I had to update windows including updating windows. I even turned...
  8. outdated drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    outdated drivers: I own a USB foot pedal by pedalpax corp, not available anymore for 15 years that I use for capturing images through an old pc for medical purposes. Recently, i upgraded my hardware to Windows 10 and the device is no longer recognizable due to outdated drivers. New ones are no...
  9. Outdated Drivers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outdated Drivers: I continually get pop-ups that my Drivers are out of date. Can I purchase updated Drivers from you? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outdated-drivers/99a207a9-4ebc-468b-b5d4-e70387817cf8
  10. Drivers outdated or not?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drivers outdated or not?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/pawan_np [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ewjlux/drivers_outdated_or_not/